Author Topic: Shaft length and distance  (Read 1962 times)

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
  • This hobby is like my wife, no money left...
Shaft length and distance
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
So I have this driver and the thing seems to play a hair on the loose side.  I tend to find that this club has a tendency for the left and believe that by stiffening up the shaft I should be able to cure that behavior.  The question at hand is how much distance will I risk by tipping the existing shaft vs getting a new shaft and tipping first, then cutting to length?  I think I am going to take off somewhere between 1/4" up to 3/8".

The driver is currently built to a 44.5 in length.

Thanks

Lumberman

• Fledgling Ho
Re: Shaft length and distance
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
I bought the new Cleveland driver in the fall and it had a 45 inch shaft.  I've never played with a shaft that long and only bought it because it was a demo day and the Cleveland rep was just bubbling over with facts, figures and minutia of why I had to have that particular shaft. 

Anyway, I was hitting it good on the range and my swing speed was averaging 116.  I took it to the course and just couldn't make it work.  Missing hard left.  I trimmed it down to 43 3/4 and started hitting fairways. 

I got on the launch monitor and learned that I was swinging 112-13.   

Part of that could be that it's early golf season here and I'm just not quite up to snuff with my game.

I will say that I'm hitting that driver in the same places as my old Titleist driver and I like the trajectory. 

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
Thanks Lumberman.

Usually the shorter shaft provides for a more accurate swing in that smaller movements do not have as material an impact on the contact location on the club face.  Usually a slower swing will bring about a fade to slice not hook/draw and I don't think 2-3MPH lost would have a material a change on the club performance.  As you said probably a swing flaw for early in the season.

My speculation is that, on irons at least, 4* of loft and ~1/2" of shaft length creates about a 10-15yd distance gap.  I am not changing the loft, just shortening the shaft by no more than 1/2".  So should I expect a drop in distance of ~5-10 yards or something more drastic?  I am thinking I should be fine, but wanted to hear other's opinions.

Lumberman

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »
I'm not a lawyer - so I feel a little bad about qualifying an answer.  It depends. 

My driver swing speed is a lot more than my iron play swing speed.  It's that way for most....but not all players.  That's why I said "It Depends." 

All things being equal - I'd say you're going to lose 10 yards.  There are some guys out there that are super technical when it comes to equipment and they can probably figure out how much shaft you can trim off of the butt end before you really start changing the playing characteristics of the club. 

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
I'm not a lawyer - so I feel a little bad about qualifying an answer.  It depends. 
I am not a lawyer either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  Also, I almost always qualify my answers.  See, I did it again, "always" leave some wiggle room to be wrong…

Agreed on the SS, that is a combination of club weight and length.  Can't swing heavy clubs as fast as you can a lighter one and the SS is usually measured at the head not the hands so all other things being equal a longer club will swing faster than a shorter one. 

On the weight front, I will be removing no more than a 1/2" so figure < 15g of weight.  But I will need to adjust somewhere to keep the SW constant. So if anything we are talking about a negligible change in club weight

From a SS point of view, 10 mph amounts to about 25 yards and 1/2" amounts to 1% of a 44.5" inch driver. 

So if my logic holds I might lose 1% of my SS, ~115MPH, or less than 2 MPH reduction due to length of shaft. Carry the 1 and it seems like ~5yd reduction in distance.

Then come the intangibles, like contact quality and launch angle and having properly taut shaft so I can go after it.  I think I am slowly talking my way into having it done.

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
If a player is swinging the club the same way every time, swing speed should be a simple linear equation based on length and weight of the club. It seems most of the time a 110 mph swinger of the driver will produce a 6i SS in the low 90s. But you can't use that formula to calculate differences in lengths on the same exact club. Looks to me like your meanderings are plausible.
ONOFF Labospec 358 Driver Tour AD TP6x
TM Original One 13.5* HZRDUS Green 70s
Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage XM 80x
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3-6 MP-20 Blade 7-P DG AMT
Mizuno T20 50 and 55 S400 TI
2019 MD PM Grind 60
PXG Operator LTD Edition “Darkness”

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
Went to my builder today and discussed a few options given the equipment I brought in, Crazy 435 with QFE Proto 65X, S-Yard T.388 with Diamana X 70S and a Diamana X 60S(raw).  Both the drivers were built to a 44.5" length.

The outcome was as follows:
Diamana X 70S gets pulled and potentially sold unless a different driver comes around(The S-Yard XV definitely has my curiosity piqued)

Quadra gets pulled from the Crazy and installed into into the S-Yard.  FEX Proto was playing to stiff due the deeper insertion in to the head and instead of just loosening the shaft, figured it would be better to use it in the S-Yard straight up.

Diamana 60S goes into the Crazy head and built to a 45" spec.  The extra insertion should act as a tipping factor for the shaft and I still have 1/2" more to toy with after playing it some.  If the straight install works then will butt cut down to 44.5" otherwise it will get tipped and potentially butt cut to balance to 45".  Hope to have them back from the builder for some golf next week.