Author Topic: yamaha 2013 vs tourstage 909 vs prgr tr 500  (Read 10765 times)

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: yamaha 2013 vs tourstage 909 vs prgr tr 500
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
I am half tempted to fly to RI just to try both of those sets of irons.  Of course I could buy a set of 909 on rinkya for a little more than the plane tickets...

Do you feel the 909 and the RrPF are pretty redundant?

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 01:25:47 PM »
I am half tempted to fly to RI just to try both of those sets of irons.  Of course I could buy a set of 909 on rinkya for a little more than the plane tickets...

Do you feel the 909 and the RrPF are pretty redundant?
For your purposes, yes they are redundant.

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »
What are my purposes ?

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
What are my purposes ?
Ahhh to turn a phrase at the wrong time.  They are very similar irons, grinds, playability, workability and general playing characteristics.  From what I know about you, trying something different is your purpose in some cases, but you would rather not spend money on something if you, effectively, already have it…  There are nuances between them, but I cannot definitively attribute them to the head, more than likely it has more to do with the shaft…

Now for armchair psychoanalyst time:

Epon 302
RomaRo Pro
ONOFF Forged
etc

All are materially different in design and execution.  Not sure if you tried other RomaRo like the H which I would equate to a similar market as the AF-Tour or the V which, in my minds eye, is the 302 characteristic or what else you have gamed in the past.  The 302 and the ONOFF forged are the most similar in design but I think they are slightly different in their target golfer. 
My speculation is that you try the best in a category and see if it outperforms the best in another category then move on leveraging the vast rolodex of of remembered facts, figures, and characteristics about other similar things to guesstimate the outcome.  When you reach something that doesn't have a frame of reference or something similar in the rolodex you will be inclined to try it, hence your internal debate over the TS 909.

If I am way off base, hop on a plane(you have my address) or log on to Rinkya. Disco might even let his go for a nicer price.  If I am not off base then I will stick to my comment in the other post.  Save your money try something different.

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »
righ coherent thoughts day after
 the yamaha  2f15  were.... brilliant ,they were clearly  my best clubs    not even really close.
  i must hit  2220-250 balls last night    i had 3 full sets  and the 6 and 9  of  905 with monacco TX  to literally compare the 909  vs the 905

misshits with the yamaha  2f15x were pretty   sever on my elbow. in fact plain OUCH..!
more so than with any of the others  even the mighty monaccoTX
the tourstage 905 were as i expected them to be . just heavy thumping  non moving  blades.
 they are  ka-boooooom. not gonna get these  to got 200  ayrds wit hya 7 iron   but if uwere playing in  a typhoon, id back these wud be hard to beat.

the 909........... now....  they MIGHT be a bit softer  than the 905.. MIGHT BE..
i think th x-100 in them softeend the blow considerably. its amazing after trying so many high tech shafts then going back to basics,, how dull and lifelesss  but,  easy to play the DG  shafts are.
 after wrting my last post i hit another 20 balls with them, and they grew on me.. the other hting is the golf pride tourvelvet grip  makes the club   SOFT as opposed to   the cord grips.

i ended up liking he toursatge and they had a softer overal lfeel to them than i expected .  tourstage inst soft lets say that right now, but this combo was  smooth but it lacked "zing"  or maybe im so used to electiric shafts now that DG just feel mute.

id keep the 909.. id keep the 905............ BUT not over the yamahas.
the NS shafts in those amde these come alive  SO much more thant  when i ahd the thumps in them
 t he feel isnt even remotely clsoe.

the weight was the biggest thing i noticed.  125  to 95  thast HUGE.

astro tourv3 10*// quadra fire express prototype 2016
prgr egg spoon15*//roddio tour only  bee71x
fourteen tw u 21*//diamanana stinger 70x
masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
prgr nabla id 52*. NS WV125s Yamaha raw black  56*....NS wv 125s
fourteen mt 28 60*....NS 950s
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 02:54:05 AM »
 liked the tourstages by the end of the  session , i hit them  pretty well but  i hit the yamahas and liked the shape of the heads better. im not great fan of the square face, even on my 701s...

yamaha heads  + NS shaft = heaven ,,
they are now superb. much better for me than the thumps.
 i had an extended hit with the 909 after i posted this nad got to like them ab it more prob hit another 30-50 odd balls without swapping back and forward.
not a fan of the x-100  but they play well. cant fautlt that. just so dead..

jury still out ill prob play t hem this weekend  see how they go on course

masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
What are my purposes ?
Ahhh to turn a phrase at the wrong time.  They are very similar irons, grinds, playability, workability and general playing characteristics.  From what I know about you, trying something different is your purpose in some cases, but you would rather not spend money on something if you, effectively, already have it…  There are nuances between them, but I cannot definitively attribute them to the head, more than likely it has more to do with the shaft…

Now for armchair psychoanalyst time:

Epon 302
RomaRo Pro
ONOFF Forged
etc

All are materially different in design and execution.  Not sure if you tried other RomaRo like the H which I would equate to a similar market as the AF-Tour or the V which, in my minds eye, is the 302 characteristic or what else you have gamed in the past.  The 302 and the ONOFF forged are the most similar in design but I think they are slightly different in their target golfer. 
My speculation is that you try the best in a category and see if it outperforms the best in another category then move on leveraging the vast rolodex of of remembered facts, figures, and characteristics about other similar things to guesstimate the outcome.  When you reach something that doesn't have a frame of reference or something similar in the rolodex you will be inclined to try it, hence your internal debate over the TS 909.

If I am way off base, hop on a plane(you have my address) or log on to Rinkya. Disco might even let his go for a nicer price.  If I am not off base then I will stick to my comment in the other post.  Save your money try something different.

Yeah pretty much. Don't really want to buy an iron that's the same as what I have for all intents and purposes.

Unique technology or category leading aesthetics and performance are what get my buying finger itchy. Simple as that.

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:41 PM »
Great stuff Stew we can always count on you to tell it how it is

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 04:45:15 AM »
Ok cougars plenty of gametime with both the 909 and yamaha blades
Plenty
Perfect conditions here on some of the best surface ull ever strike apill from
Abslutely no excuses for being a mongtard here
Its too easy to hit

So

2 days 36 a day with the yamahas
Gawd damn heavy shaft to be hitting this many balls i tell ya my wrists are turninginto a sumos
Firstly the ns 2 f15x prototypes are ns 1150 proto shafts for vijay sing and paul casey they area bout 12 gram heavier and lots stiffer than the. 1150
They wont be moving about much by the hitter
They are damnstraight and High
Land soft as u like
They are an awsome shaft but ur work is really cut out ifu play every day
I gotta switch abck to the x100 tom to give me a break

Heads.........,
The909 im finding are def the more dynamic scoring weapons
They look like they will get in closer and. I can do more. With them. Than the yamahas
I ahve more options

The yamaha are  ii wont say forgiving iron bec they are still pretty aggressive shape
But the milling softens them up and makes the ball strike such a pleaure
 The best struck shots with both these heads is miles and miles more pleasurable with the yamaha
Not even in same ball park really
But the better shots so far have been with the 909 i think im finding the 909 are prob abetter scoring iron For me.but thebad misses are equally more destructive
I cant go o. With the yamaha ns combo playing 36 a day my foookin. Arms. Will. Fall off
But for a one off game i gotta say theres not much. Better ive build recently
I can see these going intompasture on my return to be played sparingly
I think ill br busting out. The personals. And. The prgr tr500 a bit more to give me some respite
I was hitting jeffs. Monacco shafted yamaha and drooling they are miles nicer then both my builds
With satin stiffs

Food for thought

Rally unsure if ill keep eitherof these after. The. Break as once ive played them into the knowing
I tend to bench. Them.
Such is my way

Butmafter 5days of extremely intense hitting  i ogtta say both are pretty good choices
The yamaha are easier the 909 def the ferrari over. The mazzarati

But some people like a bit more leg room right..?

masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »
Slowly coming around to my way of thinking Stew...

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »
LFOL, I love it, thanks for the laugh Rhody! 

stew I've done that many times but my posts are not much of a loss, you need to re-do the review...for posterity man!  you're the Hemingway of club reviews for crying out loud...
12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
Q,R,S,T Roddio-wedge/Lunar9
EXO odyssey
AVX

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 02:06:46 AM »
well decided to  keep the yamaha tours .  they were firmly my faves after the trip
 they  will prob end up in oz, as  the shaft  in them demands i play them in the most trying conditions
longy is the perfect palce for them. MUCH MUCH better for me than with the thumps can t begin to  describe  by how much
the simple weight  thing was the problem

the tourtsage although i played them for the most part pretty well
its  the look at address to my eye that doest sui
thast all it is

hell of a set

but with my hoards. thers no point they will siut there agn like the 905s ive STILL got  and not used.

man on man  the yamahas were the better suited club
the prgr however put them all to shame at impact.

those things  ,and ive got htem with satin monaccos  stiff now are just delicious.
hit one and u go

fooook me..!

masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

JanKo

• Super Ho
Taylor Made SIM Max - Tour AD IZ
Taylor Made SIM Ti 3-wood - Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Titleist 818h 19° - Tour AD IZ
PXG Gen 3 P / T combo set 4-GW
Taylor Made MG 2 TW-Grind - DG Tour Issue S400
Golds Factory custom (modified Tiger Woods tribute)

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »
Hahahaha great film. Nice one Jan.
DR: TM.
FW: TM.
HY: TM.
Irons: TM.
Wedges Cleveland.
Putter: Seemore.