Author Topic: Covid in Japan, what's up ?  (Read 453 times)

Geoff

• Fledgling Ho
Covid in Japan, what's up ?
« on: December 06, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »
To follow up on mbbg message, here is the point I can make about Japan.

Context:
- I am in Japan for the delivery of the Summer Olympics in Tokyo
- I am working for an International French company (with a Japanese partner)
- I am in Japan with my family (my wife and my two children, a 14 year old girl and a 10 year old son)
So we normally have to stay one year but it will be two  ;D

I just jump from Philippines to Japan (I was there for another event) so my last round is Jakarta, Philippines and Japan.
To start well, I planned to work in Canada and I am in Asia since 3 year now...

Okay, several things about the virus and its impacts.

Japan's habits keep everyone at a distance.
Society is tough and people are self-centered.
People don't touch each other (no handshakes, no hugs, no hands on the butt :))

Cleaning
- Public and private places are disinfected once or several times a day.
- The escalator ramps
- The lifts
- The entrance halls
- Tables at restaurants
- Food buffets you have to wearing. plastic gloves
- Hydroalcoholic products are systematic
- One-way travel flows in stores
- Social distancing
- Etc ...

Procedures:
- Very early, restaurants set up take-away sales
- The closing hours of restaurants, bars and shops at 22: 00/21: 00/20: 00
- Border closure (especially with China, US, Europe)
- Cancellation of visas (very extremist because it also affects non-Japanese spouses in bi-national couples)
- Fever control every day
- Quarantine if you are seek (and don't come into the office of course)
- Etc...

We foreigners.
I'll be frank, we live.
We go out for a drink, we go to a restaurant on weekdays or weekends. Between French, Foreigners and Japanese peoples. Regardless of the social level.
Nomikai or just for fun.
Life goes on here, adjusting. Keep in mind that the Japanese never want to be responsible (guilty?) For anything. So they will always do a little more than government is requesting to make sure they're doing the right thing.
As seen above, the Japanese lifestyle inspires confidence as people pay attention.
However, there is room for doubt as to the method of counting cases of infection, but one thing is certain, there are fewer cases due to compliance with the instructions and the Japanese attitude of following the rules.

Regarding travel abroad.
It is difficult to be able to fly outside of Japan, but for a month the government has relaxed the conditions a bit (no choice with the Olympics)
At the height of the epidemic, the question was to return home if we did not feel safe in terms of health, in the sense "would we be taken care of properly by hospitals in the case of infection". This remains our main stress.
The problem is, there is no clear information on the possibility of returning to Japan if we leave Tokyo for France, whether for vacation or for any other reason. there is stress adapted to each country and each situation for sure.
Today we are still fortunate to be able to communicate with the entity world thanks to new technologies, so we do not feel isolated.
I'm French so it's 11 / 12h flight home. It is certain that in the event of a serious or emergency problem, it is a relay that imposes additional stress.
I experienced the same thing in Indonesia and the Philippines, Asia is not next to Europe ...
Neither my wife nor my children feel in danger because of the Covid, for us parents it is the logistical situation that leads to stress.

However.
For economic recovery, the Japanese state has set up the "GoTo Travel" campaign to encourage people to consume and to move locally.
Very good initiative that allows you to travel at reduced cost within Japan and consume on the spot.
You have a 30% reduction on your trip + reservation which has been returned to you as a coupon to be spent at the vacation spot.
This idea also allows Japanese and foreigners not to immerse themselves into the depression (you know the fatal outcome of the depression in Japan ...)
Loneliness and depression are real social issues in Japan, the elderly are lonely, almost excluded from everyday life (this is one of the reasons why they seek so much to work, apart from low income). But... they are tough, grandma at 90 years old continu to pick up mushroom in the forest alone for hours...

But
- It is remains difficult (impossible) to get tested by the PCR test (Covid)
- The policy for identifying Covid cases is not very clear
- Access to healthcare is an ordeal. If you are in a state of emergency, it is very possible that you will pass from life to death because you don't have the right stamp on your papers...

So, to conclude, life is not stressful even with covid. The transport situation is not really clear, neither is the count of covid cases, but we do not feel in danger, stuck perhaps, a little but not in danger.

#mbbg and other, let me know if you want more specifics informations.
Driver: PRGR RS-5 460-10.5|Diamana PRGR M43-S
FW: PRGR Egg Spoon 3-15|PRGR M43-S
UTs: A-Grind DST18/Grindworks VariantOne 24
5-PW: TW747Vx|NS Pro-Modus3 105-S
W: MD5-52/56/60|NS Pro-Modus3 Tour105-S
Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Squareback2
Balls: e12-Soft

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: Covid in Japan, what's up ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:21:26 AM »
Wow, what wonderful insight. Thanks for sharing.
DR: TM.
FW: TM.
HY: TM.
Irons: TM.
Wedges Cleveland.
Putter: Seemore.

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 01:05:27 PM »
Wow I wasnt expecting that much information! Thank you very much. A very different approach than here for sure. Indoor dining is banned in Illinois (and its too cold now to eat outdoors) and there is a shelter in place advisory again. (Not mandated like California just issued).

Whenever we turn on the television we get bombarded with commercials to stay home for the holidays and not spend it with family. We do PCR testing like crazy here. People sit in their cars for 2/3 hours in a line to get tested. Just so most of them who get tested can go home and be negative and the ones that do test positive dont even get sick but then have to isolate for 10 days. Its crazy. Some people who get sick dont even get tested because they get locked down so they just stay home until they feel better.

Going into winter with the skyrocketing rates and increased lockdown measures is truly depressing in Illinois. Illinois cancelled high school sports and most other activities people enjoy in winter. College and pro sports are trying to play but its a joke with all the cancellations. I live 19 miles from the Indiana line and their guidelines are much looser yet their overall positivity and death rate is very similar.

I have been telling people Japan had it right from the beginning but no one wants to listen they only care about tests and cases.

Geoff

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 06:53:52 PM »
You are welcome guys, anytime.

I know this is disturbing, in Europe too.
When we have plexi here that separate people when we order or eat at a counter, in France shops are mostly closed.
They want to re-open gradually but I don't really know what will happen.

The fact is, Japan host the Games and for me it looks like very difficult to don't re-launch the economy and the of course, the communication.
At least, they made a good move to give all the contrat to Japanese major companies (I was totally upset). now I understand this was just a secured position in case of issues.
Here, Japanese (for most of them) following the flag, if your emperor ask you to make some efforts, you do. The Effort for the Cause.
And after while, even if it's look quite a bit communist, it's could appears as a salvation.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 10:02:00 PM »
This ongoing covid and the many different responses to it...it has revealed the strengths and weaknesses of different political systems.  Shows there is no one system that is absolutely right all the time.

It has also shown the good and bad of different cultures, principles and values.  The ugly head of racism (covid and non-covid related) is now more apparent (or less unspoken of rather) than say 5 years ago.  As Geoff also hinted, there is an apparent clash between personal freedom and care for community?  Covid will pass and the world will be hit by yet another pandemic and yet another.. if the first new case is from America or from France or from England, will it be referred to with the same tone that Trump (and many) referred to Covid 19 as the China Virus?  The America Virus. The France Virus.  The England Virus (it should be American virus, French Virus and English virus but I'm just speaking in Trump speak).

Pandemics are bad but nowhere close to some attitudes and actions it exposes ... directly or indirectly...

Stay safe all.. Vaccines are on the way but don't kid yourself, Covid somewhere is covid everywhere and we will need to live with this for quite a while yet so let's just get along.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:04:30 PM by wmclarenf1 »
Drivers : JadeAdllerRX460-DesignTuningIDV-Itobori-ReveToxic-RyomaD1/Maxima2
UTs : AGrindBXH-Itobori-Ryoma
Irons : GrindStudio-ItoboriMXH-OrionCloserCB-PXG0311T-TittyCNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-Crazy-GrindStudio-JadeAdller-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Olsen-Xenon

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »
Stay safe all. Vaccines are on the way but don't kid yourself, Covid somewhere is covid everywhere and we will need to live with this for quite a while yet so let's just get along.

+1
DR: TM.
FW: TM.
HY: TM.
Irons: TM.
Wedges Cleveland.
Putter: Seemore.

Geoff

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 05:07:45 PM »
Stay safe all. Vaccines are on the way but don't kid yourself, Covid somewhere is covid everywhere and we will need to live with this for quite a while yet so let's just get along.

+1

+1

A new step to take