Author Topic: Home Fitting Setup  (Read 882 times)

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Home Fitting Setup
« on: April 06, 2020, 10:50:35 PM »
Rummaged through my store room today and it turns out, I have more equipment for my home fitting setup than I knew.

Brand new Bosch cutter, brand new Black and Decker heat gun, black & Decker drill, a vice etc.

Epoxy ordered and will be ordering a basic swing weight scale and extractor from Golf Mechanix.  Looking for a shaft spinner now.

Drivers : JadeAdllerRX460-DesignTuningIDV-GTD4557D-Itobori7D-RyomaMaxima2
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi
Irons : GTD-GrindStudio-Itobori-PXG-CNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Itobori-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Artisan-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

db2

• Fledgling Ho
Re: Home Fitting Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 12:07:38 AM »
Whatís a shaft spinner?

Donít use the heat gun to remove shafts, especially graphite shafts.  Get a mini butane torch.

You will also need a graphite shaft removal tool, a mini chop saw to cut shafts, and a ruler.  I like the the club ruler made by Golf Mechanix.  Itís very accurate and you can measure loft and lie with it if you buy one of their adjustable protractors.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 01:56:18 AM »
Whatís a shaft spinner?

Donít use the heat gun to remove shafts, especially graphite shafts.  Get a mini butane torch.

You will also need a graphite shaft removal tool, a mini chop saw to cut shafts, and a ruler.  I like the the club ruler made by Golf Mechanix.  Itís very accurate and you can measure loft and lie with it if you buy one of their adjustable protractors.

Interesting... I find a heat gun is better to protect graphite shafts as opposed to a butane torch which i use for steel shafts. This is especially so for woods   I have seen so many wood head paint bubble from excessive heat from a butane torch. 

The  Bosch power cutter is very versatile and with a thin enough cutting wheel, is very good for graphite shafts.

Getting a shaft extractor and swing weight scale from Golf mechanix. 

A shaft spinner is used to to find the spine (s) of the shaft and all shafts, even the 7D has a spine.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:59:56 AM by wmclarenf1 »
Putters : ArGolf-Artisan-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

Nolixul

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 05:14:19 AM »
Whatís a shaft spinner?

Interesting... I find a heat gun is better to protect graphite shafts as opposed to a butane torch which i use for steel shafts. This is especially so for woods   I have seen so many wood head paint bubble from excessive heat from a butane torch. 

The  Bosch power cutter is very versatile and with a thin enough cutting wheel, is very good for graphite shafts.

A shaft spinner is used to to find the spine (s) of the shaft and all shafts, even the 7D has a spine.

The "spinner" above, in fact any bearing based spine finder, absolutely won't do the job! Don't buy it. You may think it finds spines but it almost always doesn't. See here: https://www.tutelman.com/golf/shafts/allAboutSpines2.php

If you want to get into spines etc, you really need to FLO the shafts. Best is to get a Frequency Analyser and tip weight (usually comes with one). You can dabble in CPMs too. I also like to use a little laser too (when I am looking at oscillation patterns and not CPM) affixed parallel to the shaft. The laser can double as a laser aiming guide for putting - so you can see where the face is pointing at address, impact and through the stroke etc.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 05:18:02 AM »
Whatís a shaft spinner?

The "spinner" above, in fact any bearing based spine finder, absolutely won't do the job! Don't buy it. You may think it finds spines but it almost always doesn't. See here: https://www.tutelman.com/golf/shafts/allAboutSpines2.php

If you want to get into spines etc, you really need to FLO the shafts. Best is to get a Frequency Analyser and tip weight (usually comes with one). You can dabble in CPMs too. I also like to use a little laser too (when I am looking at oscillation patterns and not CPM) affixed parallel to the shaft. The laser can double as a laser aiming guide for putting - so you can see where the face is pointing at address, impact and through the stroke etc.

Thanks.  Floing is a real PITA.  Ive never got a straight line ever and that's without any beer too.

I guess i could just but the tip weight with laser from golf mechanix as well and the shaft extractor can double up as teh butt clamp for floing..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:27:33 AM by wmclarenf1 »

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
Here's a thing, how about you insert a shaft in a head with the label down and play it as is.....like the rest of us!
:)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 12:29:33 PM »
Ian thatís for we peasants
Ping G410 Tour 65X
Titleist 913Fd Diamana Whiteboard 80S
Titleist 818 HB1 18* Fuji Atmos 90S
Titleist 818 HB2 22* MRC Tensei White 90S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber 110S
Mizuno T-20 52* and 58* MRC MMT 125TX 9 iron shafts
Epon I-33 w/PZ125 composite putter shaft and Elite RS100 grip

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »
I will say, that for me to have a single club rebuilt it costs about $40+ per for labor.  If you go in for a fitting and buy a set the custom assembly is built in.  But the fitter only sells US product and not many graphite shaft options either.

Learning to spine/Flo, assemble and bend has been a huge savings for me over the years...

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »
Here's a thing, how about you insert a shaft in a head with the label down and play it as is.....like the rest of us!

Because its not hard to do and its a hobby.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 04:33:47 AM »
Has anyone found a noticeable difference in shafts that have/have not been spined or flo'd?

This is similar to cables in high end audio, where I have noticed a change (sometimes a significant change) in how the music sounds. Admittedly the gear tested was thousands of pounds £.......

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 05:20:36 AM »

Because its not hard to do and its a hobby.

I think Art is getting sensitive. Applause for you.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 06:13:32 AM »
Lol and only day 2 of lock down

HisAirness

• Fledgling Ho
    • DerGolfmeister
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 08:14:41 AM »
I think it's more of doing things right or perfect. Finding the FLO plane of a shaft can be annoying at some times but it's worth it. Typically you will find a hard and a soft plane. You can also use them for matching / tuning the frequency slope of a set without additional tip trim. Especially for a set of taper tip shafts this is very helpful.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
Any difference?

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »
All above my head... I just rock up and hit the Fucking ball... job done
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

Rest in Peace ďMi AmigoĒ

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face