Author Topic: Hogan Icon  (Read 316 times)

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
Hogan Icon
« on: March 18, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Re: Hogan Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:22:40 AM »
I think the first to come out with this a lonnnnng time back was spalding or top flite or some other old non-existent brand.
Drivers : JadeAdllerRX460-DesignTuningIDV-GTD455-Itobori-RyomaMaxima2
UTs : Itobori-Modart-Muziik-Proceed
Irons : GTD-GrindStudio-Itobori-PXG-CNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Itobori-JadeAdller-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 10:22:20 AM »
Hogan did the blade on blade thing in several iterations of their players irons culminating in the legendary 1999 Endo Forged Hogans that sell for more now than they did new. This is a throwback to the 99 or the 03 version it looks like to me.

The Epon Personals were also a throwback to the 99 Hogans but were definitely more vaginal. You might also notice that Jeff Sheets (designer of 99 Hogans) now works for Epon.

There’s a really good story out there written by Jeff regarding the design and production of the 99 Hogans and what made them special. I have actually conversed with Jeff at times via email, great great guy, golf club genius who took a lot of time out of his schedule to basically just chat with me about club stuff.

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
If memory serves, when the Epon Personal came out there were references to it being a copycat of the Hogan clubs.  Would imagine whomever Hogan shilled for as a player would have been the originator.

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
Hogan did the blade on blade thing in several iterations of their players irons culminating in the legendary 1999 Endo Forged Hogans that sell for more now than they did new. This is a throwback to the 99 or the 03 version it looks like to me.

The Epon Personals were also a throwback to the 99 Hogans but were definitely more vaginal. You might also notice that Jeff Sheets (designer of 99 Hogans) now works for Epon.

There’s a really good story out there written by Jeff regarding the design and production of the 99 Hogans and what made them special. I have actually conversed with Jeff at times via email, great great guy, golf club genius who took a lot of time out of his schedule to basically just chat with me about club stuff.

Any chance of you sharing some of his thoughts about club stuff?

kl

• Global Moderator
  • Super Ho
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 11:02:21 PM »
I’d be interested to hear as well.

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 12:15:26 AM »
He more or less lamented the current state of equipment design and the churn and burn releases. So many smaller traditional companies falling to the wayside while a handful of companies dominated the equipment market through big box stores. How hard it is to make a go of it in the golf equipment business.

He’s a total gear head but theres a lot of sentimentality for the art and craftsmanship that used to go into American made clubs. I think that’s why Epon has been special to him. They’re premium and revered in much the same way people used to treasure a shiny new set of forged Hogans and play them until the grooves were gone.

He also spoke at length about some specific Epon products and answered some questions I had about a couple of models of irons. This was back in august of 2017 I had to search my email to refresh my memory on all this.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:17:32 AM by MBBG »