Author Topic: Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond with HZRDUS Smoke Green (Hulk)  (Read 348 times)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
So I saw this thing come out, it’s a fade biased 450 cc version with a higher toe and a straighter leading edge look to it. Being that hook is my big miss and I stupidly went back to softer shafts this spring I’ve been hook city with the longer clubs.

So when I saw this and some suggestions about pairing it with the new TT HZRDUS Smoke Green shaft, it piqued my interest right away, despite the fact that I’m not a big Callaway fan, don’t normally like the shape of their drivers, and thought the OG Epic felt like a brick.

So naturally after a bad round of taking baby swings to avoid a hook, I decided to order one from Will Peoples. I also had recently acquired the Mizuno ST-190 with Tensei CK Blue in it but it was also a hook machine. Even with the face opened all the way up it looks slightly closed to my eye. But it does look and feel amazing. So I also ordered an Accra Tour TZ6 to pair with it to see how it performed with a better shaft. Especially after seeing how well the TZ6 and ST-190 worked in the TXG video.

So it all came today and I threw the Accra in the Mizuno and headed to range. It was much better than the CK Blue, I was getting high draws rather than low hooks. The only other shaft I remember getting low hooks like that with was the AD DI. But anyways it still was a little loose and so I tried the Epic with the HZRDUS.

I immediately started finding the sweet spot almost every time, and I was hitting these towering low spin drives with basically no side to side movement on them unless I hit a shitty old ball. There’s a big berm at the end of the range with woods on the back side of it, I hope they look back there next time they’re collecting balls because I hit a bunch over the berm which I’ve rarely ever done before. Usually a piped drive lands halfway up the berm and maybe bounces over.

Long story short as much as a am not a big Callaway fan and hate the big stupid head cover it came with, this thing basically feels like it was made just for me. The driver is hot melted but does make a lot of more a “tink” sound than I’m accustomed to with the composite heads of late. But it just feels like sledgehammer going through the ball, very explosive and crisp feeling like you can feel the balm exploding off the face. Anxious to try it with my XS or TP5 Wednesday night at league. Will report back once I’ve had some course time.

S Yard T.388 Kuro Kage XM 70x
TaylorMade Original One 13.5* HZRDUS Green
Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage XM 80x
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3-6 MP-20 Blade 7-P DG AMT
Mizuno T20 50 and 55 S400 TI
Callaway PM Grind 60
PXG Operator LTD Edition “Darkness”

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond with HZRDUS Smoke Green (Hulk)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:34:15 AM »
The Flash SZ sounds terrible, so for me they all need some hot melt to calm that sound down a notch or ten.
I do prefer the triple diamond design over the original. Would look even better all black like a Callaway Custom jobbie.

Glad it's working so far.
Driver: TM Original One 11.5° + Tensei CK Pro Blue 80tx.
HY: Ping G400 17° + Oban White 95x.
DI:  Epon 903 20 & 23 + OTi120x
Irons: Epon AF-Tour MB 5i - PW + OTi120x
Wedges: Epon 208 KGX 53°/59° + OTi110x.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:20:40 AM »
The Flash SZ sounds terrible, so for me they all need some hot melt to calm that sound down a notch or ten.
I do prefer the triple diamond design over the original. Would look even better all black like a Callaway Custom jobbie.

Glad it's working so far.

I am a fan of Callaway drivers since jailbreak got introduced. I still game the original epic SZ and actually love the feel. Rogue was ok but not better than Epic for me and the feel of Epic was better for me. The Flash SZ I got a couple of times and it performed great. Just the sound is very loud as noted but I could get over it if it is significantly better than my original Epic. It does look better than the Epic shape wise.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
Supposedly the newer ones aren’t as loud. Mine isn’t loud it just makes more of an old school full titanium head sound than a composite sound. Feel is very solid. I really wanted the Mizuno or M5 to win out but the Cally just performs and it looks great down by the ball. Gives me a ton of confidence.
Callaway PM Grind 60

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »
Supposedly the newer ones aren’t as loud. Mine isn’t loud it just makes more of an old school full titanium head sound than a composite sound. Feel is very solid. I really wanted the Mizuno or M5 to win out but the Cally just performs and it looks great down by the ball. Gives me a ton of confidence.

Well, I only got the standard flash sz so cannot compare to any tour issue diamond versions. The m5 was actually a surprise to me. Never was a fan of the m family drivers but the m5 performs very similar to flash sz for me. Sound is definitely better with the m5 for me.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 11:32:37 PM »
Really liked the M5 I just couldn’t get enough launch out of it even in 10.5 and weights back and lofting up closed the face too much. I kinda want to try the Cobra even though their faces always seem to be on the shallow side for my preferences.
Callaway PM Grind 60

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 01:17:50 AM »
Really liked the M5 I just couldn’t get enough launch out of it even in 10.5 and weights back and lofting up closed the face too much. I kinda want to try the Cobra even though their faces always seem to be on the shallow side for my preferences.

Do it. I know that his swing speed is fast, but look at the distance Matt from TXG YouTube is getting.
Driver: TM Original One 11.5° + Tensei CK Pro Blue 80tx.
HY: Ping G400 17° + Oban White 95x.
DI:  Epon 903 20 & 23 + OTi120x
Irons: Epon AF-Tour MB 5i - PW + OTi120x
Wedges: Epon 208 KGX 53°/59° + OTi110x.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.