Author Topic: Itobori MXH Build  (Read 1254 times)

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Itobori MXH Build
« on: June 21, 2019, 04:57:04 AM »
I've been eyeing these for quite a while.. just didn;t want to pull the trigger as I'm still in a bit of a golf lull.

I first tried the MXH with some Paderson shafts in bangkok a while back.  Loved the forgiveness and impact feel.  VEry solid but I didn't quite like the feel of the Paderson shafts.. and color scheme.  Hit them again in some crappy Rifle graphite shafts about 3 weeks back and still liked the heads...

Anyways, picked up a 6-PW set of chrome MXH.  I'm struggling to hit 5I consistently off the deck as I waxed on another thread hence 6 to PW.  Would have picked up 6I to 9I only if I could as I'm matching these with my Orion 46/50/54/60.  May yet pick up a set of the original Ito wedges as the second try I had a 3 weeks back, they felt damn good.  Quite the opposite of the first demo when they first came out.  Strange.

So why chrome... a couple of reasons.. 1, they match my raw finish Ito Driver and Hybirds better and 2, their finishes don't wear well to my eye and I'm not a fan of patina and copper.

Picked up some of the newly released Fujikura Diamond Speeder shafts 8S as well for these.  I've put in the Roddio I-8S first to try in the 7I and then will try the bangvoo and then the Diamond Speeder.  I'm still awaiting the black silver Cadero grips for the Diamond Speeders anyway.  Come to think of it, I still have a set of Accra ICWT 90s in the states as well.

So let's see how it goes. Will install the Itobori ferrules when I've landed on the best head shaft combo.. The ferrules match the Diamond Speeder shafts so well and with the Cadero Black silver, it'll be a handsome looking set I think ... I'm already leaning towards the Diamond Speeder for the wrong reasons... it actually looks really good with the roddio shaft.... I didn't like the new color scheme when it first came out but it's grown on my big time.

7I is now playing to standard length, loft and lie were spot on so no bending required, d1 swing weight with the Perfect Pro Phiten grip. 

First new set of irons in a long while.. hopefully this brings back the golf bug full force.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 05:07:05 AM by wmclarenf1 »
Drivers : JadeAdllerRX460-DesignTuningIDV-GTD455-Itobori-RyomaMaxima2
UTs : Itobori-Modart-Muziik-Proceed
Irons : GTD-GrindStudio-Itobori-PXG-CNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Itobori-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Artisan-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
Re: Itobori MXH Build
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »
I hear you on the color scheme of the Roddio, but the performance of the shaft and incremental cost of changing it that makes it grow on you.  Function over form, right...

Am curious to know your feedback on the Fuji shaft in comparison to the Roddio as that is a common shaft for both of us.  I like the look of the heads from an artistic POV, but not sure if it would be too distracting at address.  The Roddio shaft is not in my focus when striking the ball so not a distraction and could let the color scheme grow on me.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »
Yeah.. the roddios are just simply very good shafts. 

Give me a couple of weeks to get back on the comparo.   After the roddio, in goes the bangvoo, then the diamond.  Anything in particular you're looking for? Ball flight, dispersion?  I won't be able.ti help launch and spin.. unless I find that damn es14 I bought a while back and have yet to use.
Putters : ArGolf-Artisan-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »

Give me a couple of weeks to get back on the comparo.   After the roddio, in goes the bangvoo, then the diamond.  Anything in particular you're looking for? Ball flight, dispersion?  I won't be able.ti help launch and spin.. unless I find that damn es14 I bought a while back and have yet to use.
Looking for ball flight and swing effort required...
Roddio can be a smooth swingers paradise shaft and does well with aggressive hitter swings too.  Many of the shafts I have are better on aggressive swings, so looking for that smooth option...

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 12:32:57 AM »

Looking for ball flight and swing effort required...
Roddio can be a smooth swingers paradise shaft and does well with aggressive hitter swings too.  Many of the shafts I have are better on aggressive swings, so looking for that smooth option...

OK.. will let you know soon.  I'm gonna put the Bangvoo in the 8I and the Diamond Speeder in the 6I.  Not like for like I know but its more important that I hit them all with the same swing on the same day.  As my Grind Studios already has Roddio I-8, will hit against the GS 7I as well for reference.

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 03:48:32 AM »
No rush, follow your normal pattern.  I'm putting the OTI in the mb-247Ds so it is more a curiosity for future...

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 04:31:44 AM »
Ok.. 6i shafted with diamond speeder and 8i with bangvoo.

I must say again, Itobori specs are bang on.  Taper tip heads with hosel depth maybe 1.4 of an inch deeper than the tomato, mizuno, Grind works and callaway forged I measured it against.

Will only have tine for 1 or 2 range sessions week. Should be enough to see which I prefer. 

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 04:43:41 AM »
Not too big but not baby blade compact.  Minimal offset which is atypical of a GI iron.  Top line has the arakena anti glare type finish.  Nicely done.

Per hand flex the diamond speeder seems softer than the roddio.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:06:57 AM by wmclarenf1 »

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 07:45:09 AM »
You sure the anti glare finish isn't just the plastic wrap?

But seriously...

You commented insertion depth is deeper with Itobori irons than other heads?  Shouldn't that serve to stiffen the shaft some, almost like tipping it?

So based on hand feel and insertion depth, possibly a flex looser than standard insertion Roddio?

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 07:53:31 AM »
You sure the anti glare finish isn't just the plastic wrap?

But seriously...

You commented insertion depth is deeper with Itobori irons than other heads?  Shouldn't that serve to stiffen the shaft some, almost like tipping it?

So based on hand feel and insertion depth, possibly a flex looser than standard insertion Roddio?

Lol... I'm sure about the anti glare.

Yeah, depth seems like 0.25 inch deeper so it shouldn't stiffen the shaft that much. I just hand flexed my roddio i8 GS7I and the MXH roddio i8 7I and they feel about the same.

Did the same with the GS6I roddio i8 and the MXH DS8 and the DS8 flexes more.  I'd hazard half flex or slightly less. We'' see how the range session goes, I may need to hardstep 1X.

That said, if the DS8 is like the driver and FW shafts, they feel softER in the waggle but do not play soft?   

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 04:45:38 AM »
First range session and of course far from exhaustive.  Hit about 15 balls per club and then went to my wedges.

So lets see.... for Rhody...

1.  DS8S in MXH 6I and Roddio I8S in MXH 7I - Ball flight of the roddio 7I MXH is higher than the DS8S 6I but I guess this is expected given the loft difference.

2.  Ease of use.. definitely the DS8S.  That said, I can confirm that the DS8S plays slightly softer then the RI8S. Not a full flex and whether a half flex, I really won;t know how to gauge but for sure softer.  I was making better contact with the MXH7I than the MXH6I (see pics)  Now I can;t isolate it yet but it could be due to the fact that the DS*S is maybe a tad soft for me.  Also, 7I is an easier club to hit and it's also my preferred iron.

3.  Feel.. DS feels smoother than Roddio but it could be due to the DS playing slightly softer.

4.  Dispersion.  Very similar.   

Granted, its not like for like as its a 6I and 7I but that's the best I can do for now.  Also, in case there are some extremists reading, point one to be read as highER and point 2 as softER and not altogether high and soft. 

So more about the MXH irons....

Looks.  It doesn't look super big but defo not compact.  Mid top line for me and noticeable compared to the PCB/MB Grind Studio combo.  Nothing too distracting and no where close to cally shovels or Epon 7 series.  What I like is the offset or near lack thereof and the sole which is not wide and thick.

Forgiveness... super forgiving.  And it should be as its a GI... again per above, I wasn't hitting the 6I DS combo too well but even then, it still went the distance of my PXG Roddio I9 6I.

Turf interaction... many comments about the jagged sole... i kept chunking it.... NO!  NO ISSUES AT ALL.  If you see the sole grind in person, i think you'll deduce the concerns on turf interaction are unfounded or commmented on without seeing it in hand.

Distance... these things are long man.  OK, 1 degree stronger than my GS which aren't known for length but the MXH 7I was going longer consistently by maybe 1/3 to 1/2 club longer so maybe 5 meters longer?

Spin.. hard to say due to range rocks but I suspect strongly these spin less than my GS protos as they had more run.  I hope not too much on course with real balls as I hate irons that run too much.

Feel.  Love these.  Again not mushy soft like Epons which I (me only) don;t like.  Better feeling than my GS. 

One thing I've yet to comment on.. the MXH8I with Bangvoo Regular hard stepped 1X.  Probably the most accurate shaft head combo.  Ok.. 8I is easier to hit.

So.. just one session.. will have another session next week.  For now, its looking like it'll be Roddio I8 or Bangvoo hardstepped 1x.  I prefer the look of the roddio though. Hopefully the DS comes in as I;ve a bunch of matching black silver cadero grips coming in for them.

Last pics are of the GS9I.  I was just finding the SS with it this session.. The MXH 8I Bangvoo was still more accurate.. and NOT short as well.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:57:14 AM by wmclarenf1 »

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 04:56:07 AM »
Top pic is the 6I with DS8S.

Below pic is the 7I RI8S.

Clustering was better with the 7i

Last 2 .. GS 9I blade with RI8S
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:59:05 AM by wmclarenf1 »

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 05:46:59 AM »
Thanks for that...

Any intent to try subtle tipping for flex?  I know it is tapered, but small increments.

Longer but not great ball striking with DS or was that just the 7i 8i with known shafts?

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 05:57:01 AM »
Thanks for that...

Any intent to try subtle tipping for flex?  I know it is tapered, but small increments.

Longer but not great ball striking with DS or was that just the 7i 8i with known shafts?

Could be rhody.... didn't hit enough of the ds8s mxh 6i to be sure.  Hopefully the next range session will reveal more.

About tipping.  I'm hesitant.  I may hard step the DS once.  Not yet though.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »
Hit a few more yesterday. Adjusted my address a tad for the mxh 6i....much better... this is a long combo.

Also, a Fuji dealer mentioned the Mrc material in these shafts as using some sort of "stretch"  technology which Makes the shaft feel softer when you hand flex it but it actually stiffness up the faster you swing it.  It's what all the uniflex shafts are using. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:37:10 PM by wmclarenf1 »