Author Topic: 2019 USDM drivers Initial impressions  (Read 221 times)

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
2019 USDM drivers Initial impressions
« on: February 23, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Went to a golf fair today. Hit a bunch of balls with almost all new drivers of 2019. Hit PXG 0811XF and X, Ping G410, TM M5 and M6, Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, Honma TW747 460 and 455.
Was really looking forward to hitting the PXGs, so headed to their stand first. Driving has never been the best part of my game so I thought I'd start with the XF. They only had a very limited range of shafts there. Some Accra i-range and fujikura speeder air. Was really unimpressed. I hit an Accra and didn't like the feel of it at all. Numbers were okayish but very high launch (17° -19°) and highish spin in the high 2000s and low 3000s. Ball speed seemed quite low (I swing around 97-98 mph). Something was not quite right. Changed immediately to the X also 9° and number were immediately better. Couple of mph more ball speed, launch around 15° spin 2200-2600 rpm. That was more like it but I really wasn't feeling the shaft. The X head felt much more solid to me than the XF. Would need a proper fit to determine if these heads are for me or not. With the shafts I hit it, I just wasn't able to time it right. Very inconsistent. From the few hits I would say I definitely prefer the X over the XF but I wasn't overly impressed I must say. Could be the shafts though.
Wasn't really planning to hit PING but it was still quite early and their booth was quite empty, so I said why not. Asked for a 9° head and they put their standard Alta shaft in it. Felt too long and I asked if they had a shorter one. They put their Ping Tour shaft in it which was at a shorter length and I hit a few. Hit everything out of the bottom for some reason. Just couldn't feel the head. Then he exchanged shafts again and put another Ping Tour shaft in it again. I asked what was the difference and he replied that he gave me the regular flex before and now the stuff. Felt slightly more balanced and heavier. Hit it much better and was getting decent numbers. Launch was again high and spin in the high 2000s. He then put me in the flat lie and strike was a bit better and dispersion as well. He then gave me a PX Even flow black and left it in the flat setting. That was the best combo for me. Best dispersion and consistency. When I looked at the shaft I realized the he gave me a 75gr stiff even flow black. Not necessarily something I thought I'd ever feel comfortable swinging but it worked. He told me I hit quite a bit up on the ball and the added weight suits that. Well, whatever works. Spin was still a bit on the higher side with something around 2800rpm.
Then I proceeded to the Taylormade booth. Wasn't really expecting much as I never really enjoyed any of their new offerings. But I must say I do like the looks of the matt carbon crown. Started with the M5 at 9° and neutral weights. Stock Tensei whatever shaft they have. The head felt very good I must say. Results were also very good. First shot with it was in the perfect window. 15° launch and 2200 spin. Hit a few more with similar results. I tried the M6 then with the same shaft and the same loft but was inconsistent with strike for some reason. Overall the M5 felt more balanced for some reason. So we went back to the M5 and back to the good results. Tried another fujikura speeder Evo tourspec (older shaft) and results were also similar. Was honestly impressed with the M5. Hate to say it but I could game this.
Headed over to Honma and unfortunately they didn't have any launch monitor. Just took a few swings with both the 455 and 460 driver. The TW747 460 is loud. The 455 not so much but it just felt much less forgiving.
Last but not least I went over to Callaway. Actually the rep gave me the Apex Pro 7 iron to try first. These feel great I must admit. Was getting some ridiculously good numbers out of it. Didn't look at them at first until he asked me to guess how far I was hitting. I knew the lofts were not ridiculously strong (actually 1° weaker than my 7 iron) so I just mentioned my regular 7 iron distance of about 140-145 meters carry. I turned to the numbers to find out I was about 15 meter longer than expected. I was truly shocked at first but thought then I should be careful with the distances. Who knows what they do with the settings on the trackman (indoors). Also hit then then the regular Apex 7 iron. This was just ridiculous. It was flying even more but I must say both felt great. Apex pro better but the regular Apex was not as soft but had more pop to it. I then started hitting the Epic Flash. I asked for the Sub zero because I play the original epic in the sub zero version which was a better fit for me. The rep put a HZRDUS smoke 60 in stiff in it. Numbers were similar to the M6 numbers but it seemed to be straighter. Spin around 2200+/- and launching a bit too high around 18.5°. That is when I realized I was hitting a 10.5 head. Maybe that is why it was a bit straighter as well. I think if it was a 9° head it would have been even longer. Hit a few more and result were quite consistent. Liked it a lot IF it wasn't for the sound. Damn that thing is LOUD. Really not sure I could get used to that. Now, I read many opinions on this on the internet. Ranging for super sound and not loud at all to super loud. There are rumors that the first batches were really loud and Callaway seemed to have listened to the complaints on the noise and did something to quiet them down. So it seems there are louder heads but also quieter heads out there. The one I hit was definitely loud.
If I had to choose based on the few hits today it would be between the M5 and the Epic Flash SZ with a slight advantage to the M5 because of sound.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:28:05 AM by Shacco »
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: 2019 USDM drivers Initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
Great write up Shannon. I've hit the Flash SZ and M5 and like would probably take the M5 purely based on the sound, same as you. Had the smoke 60 stiff in the M5 and Tensei blue 60x in the Flash. Both were really straight hitters, maybe the M5 just taking it overall. One thing I noticed was that I needed the 10.5 in the M5 and the 9 in the Flash. Found the M5 to be one of the lowest launching heads I've tried in a long time. Trying the G410 in a couple of weeks.
Either one isn't a patch on my Cobra Amp Cell pro though!
Driver: Cobra F9 7.5 + Fuji Speeder Pro XLR8 63tx.
Driver: TM R15 12* + Diamana R80x.
HY: Adams XTD 19* + Matrix white tie x.
HY: Adams Pro 23*/DHY 27* + Tour AD UT95x/Irod105x.
Irons: Adams XTD Forged 6i - GW + Recoil Proto 125.
Wedges: Adams SW/LW* + KBS Hi-Rev
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX 300

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
I hope the pxg works out for me.  I've bought the driver tip and will bring my xanadu to try as well.  The pxg dealer also carries cobra so I'll demo the f9 although it's fugly.  I was hoping they carry the epic flash but unfortunately not.
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-DesignTuningIDVCalifornia-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriDiamondSpeeder
UTs : A-GrindBX-H-Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 11:30:33 PM »
I have a feeling TM is gonna sell a shitloaf if drivers and FWs this year
TI Taylormade ‘16 M2 w/ TI Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood w/UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* w/Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 22* Driving Iron w/ Aero i95
‘13 ONOFF Forged 5-P w/ Modus 125
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 11:55:17 PM »
I have a feeling TM is gonna sell a shitloaf if drivers and FWs this year

Which worked better for you? M5 or 6... or 7? ;D
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-DesignTuningIDVCalifornia-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriDiamondSpeeder
UTs : A-GrindBX-H-Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:29:55 AM »
Haha well I haven’t seen them let alone hit them but I do read lots of golf stuff and they seem to launch high and easy, have low spin, and be very forgiving, and for the most part people are loving the looks, sound, and feel.

I’d still be jockeying JDM stuff all over creation and playing Driver roulette on Yaj if we didn’t just buy a new place on a lake and doing some work and working on a boat, etc.

For a lot of reasons I’ve just happily settled into being a USDM metalwood guy and then loyally have Japanese stuff through most of the rest of the spots.
TI Taylormade ‘16 M2 w/ TI Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood w/UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* w/Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 22* Driving Iron w/ Aero i95
‘13 ONOFF Forged 5-P w/ Modus 125
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:44:11 AM »
I hope the pxg works out for me.  I've bought the driver tip and will bring my xanadu to try as well.  The pxg dealer also carries cobra so I'll demo the f9 although it's fugly.  I was hoping they carry the epic flash but unfortunately not.

Out of the bunch I hit, I have to say that PXG was the most disappointing. But I will also say that the shafts they brought with them were just not a good fit for me. Found it weird, that they only had such a limited selection at the fair.
Unfortunately, Cobra wasn't present at the fair. Would have loved to hit some with it.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »
I think the only one I’d try in the New Cobra
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

Rest in Peace “Mi Amigo”

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »
Just realized I didn't mention looks in my write up.

PXG: looks pretty cool with the "hot rod" carbon crown. Shape is quite round and symmetrical if that makes any sense. Not bad. The X looks a tiny bit smaller than the XF. Even though slightly bigger, the XF is not offensive at all. Could game either for looks.

PING: Don't really care for the looks. Even though they seemed to have focused on making the crown less busy, I feel this has gone in the wrong direction. Just looks random. The G400 series was quite busy on the crown but somehow the lines had more flow to it. Very much prefer the look of the G400 generation.

Taylormade: M5 and M6 look identical from the top. Couldn't really notice a difference. They look very good. Love the matt carbon crown and the smaller silver titanium part. Good shape overall as well.

Callaway: Only looked at the Epic Flash Subzero. Looks good to me. I would say quite typical for Callaway. There is something about the shape that I love. The SZ does look a bit smaller (which I don't mind) without looking intimidating. The gloss top looks good and I don't really notice the white line on top. I also don't mind the colorways. All in all very good looking.

My preferred head shape would definitel be the Epic Flash Subzero, but I prefer the matt look of the M5. So lookswise it would be a toss up between the 2.