Author Topic: SPECS: driver, irons etc.....what do YOU like ????  (Read 144 times)

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
SPECS: driver, irons etc.....what do YOU like ????
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »
DRIVER HEADS:
typically   9.5-10*  squarish  full bodied head .
198-200 gram.
it  can be slightly open or  tiny closed but nothing dramatic. I  prefer square.
jbeam 435/425 tour...astro tour.. epon 101...callaway erc 3...egg 2016....
had best results with these

SHAFTS:
 driver 67-72 grams  sx-soft X flex in drivers
and 75/83  in fairway woods.
 I prefer non  anti anything, I want  to be able to move the ball a bit both ways when I need to  so the quadra FEX  and crazy  range has never been  typically my faves  in drivers but they are in my  fairway woods,  and why diamana  has become pretty much exclusive to drivers.
 Diamana  original  blue, stinger, X   and aliislei  are in virtually everything I  have now, and I like the crazy  fw   and  quadrea FEX in  higher lofted 16/17 *  3 woods, for lower launch woods 13/15*  diamana again is in everything.

IRON SHAFTS:
mid launch, mid kick,  slightly heavier  steel shafts.   
NS 120x.....NS 130s.....shimada 115xs...  NS SP orange s  ......monacco S....
kind of got it to these. I  have a cpl of sets  of    NS  105x   and shimada 3001x   but  the  slightly heavier   shaft suit my swing tempo best.
dont care at all for carbon, tried a heap of them and nothing even remotely perks my interest really.

WEDGE shafts:
Ns wv125s  WV 115s  and modus 3 125s,  are my go to.  and NS 950 s in lob wedges so I can get very  tweeky with flops, thast all I ever use a 608 for anyway.

any one else  wanna pipe up with what they like ?
its super quiet  waiting  for mid term results......

TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
Re: SPECS: driver, irons etc.....what do YOU like ????
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:58:51 AM »
I'll give it a go here.
Drivers heads:
Love the shape of jbeam 435. Looks perfect to me. Unfortunately, performance was not there for me and I don't like the feel and sound. Jbeam ZY-11 was most probably one of the best JDM drivers for me. Very straight and quite long. It looked weird as far as face shape is concerned but actually I did not notice any of it at address. Shape at address was somewhat similar to the 435 but not quite as nice. I also love the shape of the old Yamaha v201. From a looks point of view the high back design is what I prefer.
Square FA is what I prefer.
Unfortunately I will have to say that USDM drivers are performing better for me at the moment.
Driver shafts:
I seem to do well with counter balanced shafts. Liked the Fujikura Speeder Evo 2 661. Counter balanced and in the 60 gram range seems to be the sweet spot for me. Not the fastest swinger so I guess that helps me. But my all time favorite is the tensei pro orange. That shaft is quite unique. Super stable tip but it feels so smooth. Not quite sure how they managed that but I guess it is due to the slightly softer butt section. I have a pro orange 60 stiff as.my gamer and love it.

Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 06:50:28 AM »
awsome ,someone reponded .

?????
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty

HisAirness

• Fledgling Ho
    • DerGolfmeister
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
Driver: For the head shape Im in the same boat as Shacco. Yamaha V201 is my all time favorite. The shaft should be responsive but not a noodle. I go well with AD DI 6 or Attas4U 6.

Fairway wood / hybrid: Shaft can be more tip active than in the driver. I mostly use a fairway wood on driver off days. Then I try to make good contact on the face and let the shaft do the work. The last couple of years I preferred a 2 hybrid (18 degrees loft) with a shorter shaft over a 5 fairway wood but it looks like that is in the change.

Irons: Forged but with some forgiveness like my 2013 OnOff forged. Shaft weight should be lower than 100 grams and the shaft should give me some response as I am more a swinger than a hitter.

Wedges: Mid weight like Nippon Modus3 105 wedge or (my favorite) Shimada Tour Wedge.

Putter: Anser style head with toe hang. Heavier head and shaft is preferred. I like the grip to be more traditional and not too big. I cant play grips like SuperStroke.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
Lots. Honestly. I seem to play ok with most things, but here goes.....

Wedges I think 120g/125g is good for me. I have black gold at the moment but I'll try the Accra Tour 125i. I really don't think I have a favourite wedge head shape. Maybe the Royal Collection Dent Back was a nice shape, and the Miura WMF-06 I have now are a nice shape too. D4 - D5 is nice but I had a Cally MD3/Crazy Wedge 110 at E1. That felt great.

Irons I can play 65g OnOff regular graphite iron shafts or C-Taper 130g x flex, C8 to D4. I do think I've settled on a certain weight now though, around 110g in x flex. Last steel I played was DG SL x100 and I now play Accra Tour 110i. They play at D2.5, but I think I might go up to around D4 with lead tape at some point.

Hybrids D2 - D3 is good and shaft weight mid 80's to mid 90's. Accra is doing a great job at the moment. If I go driving iron then it'll be an Accra in the 100g - 110g range.

Woods D2 is good. Mid to high 70g. I might try an 80g soon. Always played well with Diamana, so think Kai'li, BB, WB and now KK Proto which I think is the forerunner to the XM, which I think is based on the Ilima profile. Could be wrong. Prefer shallow faces. Triangular is good, think Cally Fusion or GBB. Yep, like that look at address. Usually play 3 wood a little on the short side, and the one I have now is just shy of 43". I might tip it and add some lead tape before crimbo.

Driver my gamer is D2 315g, but my new jBEAM Glorious in for testing is D4.5 335g and it's a hammer! My favourite shaft was a Bangvoo 787 and I hope that the Fuji Motore Speeder VT in the jBEAM is very similar. Should be a good combo. I think I do prefer heavier drivers. Regarding head shape, I prefer the more triangular shaped heads, so think Callaway Fusion, and maybe the new Srixon Z785. How I'm going to get on with this jBEAM I just don't know, but if it performs then who am I to argue eh? Looking back tells me that I usually play driver at around 44", but lately that's gone back over the 45". If my wife can cope with a long shaft then so can I........ :o

Putters not too bothered apart from head shape...mallets all day long. I doubt this Rife I have will be going anywhere. The club builder I use now said that it swing weight was off the charts! This is definitely a pendulum. I think it's way over 600g!
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", MCC Plus 4.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", MCC Plus 4.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - gw + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura WMF-06 53*/58* + BG

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 03:34:25 AM »
I'll give it a go here.
Drivers heads:
Love the shape of jbeam 435. Looks perfect to me. Unfortunately, performance was not there for me and I don't like the feel and sound. Jbeam ZY-11 was most probably one of the best JDM drivers for me. Very straight and quite long. It looked weird as far as face shape is concerned but actually I did not notice any of it at address. Shape at address was somewhat similar to the 435 but not quite as nice. I also love the shape of the old Yamaha v201. From a looks point of view the high back design is what I prefer.
Square FA is what I prefer.
Unfortunately I will have to say that USDM drivers are performing better for me at the moment.
Driver shafts:
I seem to do well with counter balanced shafts. Liked the Fujikura Speeder Evo 2 661. Counter balanced and in the 60 gram range seems to be the sweet spot for me. Not the fastest swinger so I guess that helps me. But my all time favorite is the tensei pro orange. That shaft is quite unique. Super stable tip but it feels so smooth. Not quite sure how they managed that but I guess it is due to the slightly softer butt section. I have a pro orange 60 stiff as.my gamer and love it.

Adding some.more to my post.
D2 swing weight for all my woods. With the 60 gram range counter balanced shafts and playing length 44.5" -45" I need heavier heads. JDM drivers were always pretty light. Unless they had some weight screws that could be exchange this was always a bit of a problem. On my current gamer Epic SZ (I know, I know) I also had to crank up head weight by exchanging weight screws. I think I added some 6 grams or so to get to D2.
FW shafts:
Thanks is a bit of a tough one. Had a Roddio W6-WA that I loved the feel of. But it wasn't necessary the most stable shaft out there. I tend to spin FW quite a bit (swing flaw) that is why I gravitate towards something more stable. I do ok with 70 gram range shafts but I always felt it is a bit of hard work for me. So I prefer to stay in the 60 gram range as well but not counter balanced. Since I had so much success with the Tensei Pro Orange in the driver I tried the Pro White (similar profile to the Pro Orange but not counter balanced) in the FW and it works very well. Also play my 3w short at 42.25" so need to add quite a bit of weight to the head to get to D2.
Iron shafts:
Never really experimented much with it to be honest. Had a set of Onoff forged that came with  NS Pro GH950S and liked the feel of it. Stayed with that kind of shaft ever since. Nothing wrong with this shafts at my SS.
Wedge shafts:
Weirdly enough I like Dynamic Golds S200 in the AW. Can't even tell exactly why but it clicks. On higher lofted wedges for less than full shots I am enjoying KBS hi-rev. Feels very active that is why it would not be good for full shots.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 11:43:25 PM »
Man you guys are so picky!!  Lol

Im not too particular but:
- Driver heads: must be adjustable for loft, also allows me to change shafts with a wrench vs a heat gun/torch
- Driver shafts: must be in 60g range, 45 playing length, prefer Mitsubishi but lately found success with Fujikura Pro series
- Iron heads: forged, from blades to GI, but no shovels
- Iron shafts: prefer carbon these days, 100g range, Roddio I10, Quadra 100i
- Wedges: 52 + 58 are all I need, steel shaft ok
- Putter: must have a soft insert, center shaft, Nike Method Matter RTS M5|10 has been so good to me that I bought a backup!

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 11:48:17 PM »
I didn't  add putters bec I cant work out what I like,

I like them all!
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty

Nolixul

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
Hmmm

DRIVER HEADS: I typically play two drivers; one from 7.5-9 degrees; the other from 11-12 degrees. Heads I like to sit open, at worst square. Pear shaped preferred, deep faced ideally. Seem to have unintentionally gravitated towards SP700 faces. I like a smaller footprint, so if 460cc, it must be deep faced. Performance trumps looks and I like heavier swingweights - hence I will almost always plaster lead tape somewhere  ;D

DRIVER SHAFTS: Most of the shafts I like are 65-75g, although I am partial to the old Protopype in 60X. Always a very stiff tip. Anything else goes left too fast. Overall driver swingweights tend to end up between D4 and D8.

FAIRWAY SHAFTS: Don't mind a slightly softer tip in the fairway woods, but overall must still be stout. The old GD Purple Ice 85X is an old faithful as well as the Protopype 80X.

IRON (and DRIVING IRON) SHAFTS: Heavier shafts fit best - 120g+. Used to play SPB X. Now have some Modus 130 X and S. So fairly stout shafts. Have experimented with lighter weight shafts and graphite, but mostly bounce straight back to heavier shafts. Steelfiber i110X stayed the longest in the bag out of lighter weight iron shafts. Nunchuk xi works well in the driving irons. Wedge shafts I like heavier and slightly softer.

IRON HEADS: Prefer small heads and minimal offset, thin top line. Weaker lofts too. Really don't mind if cast or forged, cavity or blade - it just must be small and zero to minimal offset. Very likely to slap lead tape on. Wedges - I like a 52/58 or 53/59 set up. Modern wedges will always have a generous helping of lead tape and sometimes heavy tip weights too. I don't think, generally, that modern wedges are made heavy enough.

Quite likely to be found playing vintage irons and MOI matched sets. With the vintage irons, I will move to 54/60 or 56/60 in the sand and lob wedges. The MOI matched sets will generally have 3/8 rather than half inch progression.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:10:26 AM by Nolixul »