Author Topic: How Do You Turn A Ferrule?  (Read 125 times)

db2

• Fledgling Ho
How Do You Turn A Ferrule?
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
I've been using sandpaper and acetone to turn ferrules.  I can't say that I'm happy with the results.  They're okay but inferior to ferrules turned with a belt sander.  Thus, I'm considering getting a belt sander with a ferrule turning arm.  Anyone have any methods working for them or suggestions on what to look for in a belt sander for ferrule-turning?

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
Re: How Do You Turn A Ferrule?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:54:30 PM »
If possible get one with a longer arm, they make small versions that are cramped when you are trying to turn a ferrule with a driver head....also make sure to tape the head before attempting, accidents do happen......Sandpaper of a super fine grit like 220-500 will work well if you use a steady motion, and the trick with acetone is you need to oil it after so it stays shiny, some people use plastic polish but I prefer to use grip solvent.

db2

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:55 PM »
Yes, plastic polish works well.  I've never tried grip solvent but it would be interesting to try and compare to plastic polish.

With regard to belt sanders, I'm only looking at the 1"x42", and not the 1"x30".

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 07:25:14 PM »
yes, the 42" is a better one, im sure it costs more too, thats the bad part