Author Topic: E1 Swing weight on irons...  (Read 333 times)

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
E1 Swing weight on irons...
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
So a friend of mine as been for a fitting today and as told me heís having his irons made heavy, E1 SW.

Apparently Callaway allow you to order heavier heads??

Why would you want E1 SW with irons??
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: E1 Swing weight on irons...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »
One of the most consistent swingers in golf, check out his swing weight at the end of the link:
https://moenorman.org/2016/12/27/moes-favorite-clubs/
Last year I had a Callaway MD3 with a Crazy CBi-02 shaft with a SW of E1. Awesome club. Felt like I was swinging a metronome. In fact I think I should go heavier now. Mine are at D4/D5 presently.
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", Superstroke.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", Superstroke.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - PW + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57* + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados, Garsen.

db2

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 07:30:02 PM »
Some fitters test for MOI or swingweight.  You hit a club with different swingweights--the fitter probably uses lead tape to adjust the SW--and the fitter determines the best SW or MOI value by measuring dispersion if they have a launch monitor or if they don't have a launch monitor, they look at impact location on the clubface using impact tape.

Maybe your friend did this and the fitter determined that dispersion was minimized at a SW of E1?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:31:42 PM by db2 »

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
I like heavy sw clubs, can get into a rhythm, more consistent...a little shorter and at my advanced state of physical decline, get tired faster but when I was younger, had a few years of super consistent golf with d4 through the set...
11.2*155/Basileus Alpha 60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.3cleek/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
2balSPAM
Titliest AVX

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »
I think it makes sense for a wedge. Not sure Iíd want E1 in a 4 or 5 iron.
TI Taylormade Ď16 M2 w/ TI Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood w/UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* w/Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 22* Driving Iron w/ Aero i95
Ď13 ONOFF Forged 5-P w/ Modus 125
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

appilags

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 10:42:10 PM »
I could write a novel on this one, including discussing the shortcomings of fitting to swing weight if you donít understand how a golf club works,  but Iíll try to keep it short.
Firstly, it doesnít take much to get into the Eís on the swingweight scale. For example, If youíre building clubs with Dynamic Gold Shafts, average weight heads and std weight grips, if the length gets anything more than a 1/2 inch over std, youíll be in the high Ds for sure, if not in the low Eís.
With regard to why you want heavy clubs, for a couple of reasons, I am of the firm belief that a player should play the heaviest and stiffest irons that they can realistically ďmanageĒ (ie still make the launch the ball high enough and with enough spin to make if fly reason distances).
Firstly, irons should be made to be tools of precision as a requirement ahead of building them for max distance and stiffer, heavier irons will encourage a straighter flight and Tighter shot dispersion.
Secondly, heavier clubs will generally promote a better body action in a personís swing to generate speed, vice flailing arms to make club head speed.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 02:53:54 AM »
I could write a novel on this one, including discussing the shortcomings of fitting to swing weight if you donít understand how a golf club works,  but Iíll try to keep it short.
Firstly, it doesnít take much to get into the Eís on the swingweight scale. For example, If youíre building clubs with Dynamic Gold Shafts, average weight heads and std weight grips, if the length gets anything more than a 1/2 inch over std, youíll be in the high Ds for sure, if not in the low Eís.
With regard to why you want heavy clubs, for a couple of reasons, I am of the firm belief that a player should play the heaviest and stiffest irons that they can realistically ďmanageĒ (ie still make the launch the ball high enough and with enough spin to make if fly reason distances).
Firstly, irons should be made to be tools of precision as a requirement ahead of building them for max distance and stiffer, heavier irons will encourage a straighter flight and Tighter shot dispersion.
Secondly, heavier clubs will generally promote a better body action in a personís swing to generate speed, vice flailing arms to make club head speed.

Thanks... sounds interesting
Iíve always played 1/2 inch longer clubs and love DG s300ís
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

Forecaddie

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »
"Firstly, irons should be made to be tools of precision as a requirement ahead of building them for max distance and stiffer, heavier irons will encourage a straighter flight and Tighter shot dispersion.
Secondly, heavier clubs will generally promote a better body action in a personís swing to generate speed, vice flailing arms to make club head speed."

Totally agree! --- (Better body action, and arms...) I like 3i D1.5 then every club heavier by 0.5 sw where wedge is D6ish.  I've tried D8 and is too heavy for me.  However, I also think OEMs should increase SW to help beginners, or high handicappers to help feel where the head is in the swing.- thus higher SW.