Author Topic: Calling all Cross hand grip putting experts  (Read 105 times)

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
Calling all Cross hand grip putting experts
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »
On the weekend of Club Championship,  I decided to put the cross hand grip in play.
While it still feels quite awkward,  the results I got in the two days I had it in play speaks for itself. I normally have 3 or 4 three putts per round but yesterday I had 1 and today I had 2. 
The directional consistency is totally at a different level than conventional reverse overlap.
I came short on a few putts today so still need to work on distance control I guess.  A few of the near scratch players on our Menís club are cross hand putters and so it must be good!! 
Who uses cross hand grip here and what has been your transition experience?
DR: Grandista RS-D / Diamond Speeder 50
FW: Grandista RS-F / Diaman A'hina 60
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP 85
IR:  Epon SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Benock Easpade Type S

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
Re: Calling all Cross hand grip putting experts
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:52:22 PM »
yup

I cant go back
 I try  and it feels  so foreign now.

since ive  been doing it my hcap has fallen to stayed put  I find my lag putting is miles better  but I think I made more bombs  with the old style.

no contest really, lagging to  hardly a 3 putt now wins in my book, even thos they say the best putters 3 putt more bec they roll it harder. ill take, as a jubbo amateur,  consistency ever y day   now a days

TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:46 AM »
Aha!!  kinda thought you would be one of the guys out here.
I find it a bit more comfortable using a normal tapered grip vs thicker taperless for cross hand putting.
I'm gonna try to stick with this moving forward.    In the two rounds I had over the weekend,  I had three 3 putts total.
Good improvement from what I normally do.    And this is the first time I use cross hand grip on the course.
I'm hoping it will become much more natural feeling as I get used to this! 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:06:06 AM by nobwas »

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
Ironically I went the other way a month ago. I used to putt cross handed for over a decade. Thereís some famous interview with either Arnold or Jack where one of them said if they had to start over again that they would putt that way.

The reason I went back to conventional is I found it was easier FOR ME to release the putter vs blocking putts open. I also barely put my right hand on the grip (same concept as claw/saw). So far my putting is straighter but once the golf gods know Iím having success this way, Iím sure theyíll put a stop to it...

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
I'm just not that great at putting regardless of where i place my hands. I may as well use a snooker cue.......
Driver: Callaway XR SZ 8.5* + Oban Kiyoshi HB 65 05, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + FEX 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + FEX 75 PROx, 41".
Irons: OnOff Forged 4i - PW + Accra Tour 110 TiMesh.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 49/53/58 + Black Gold x.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
hahah, know that feeling well!

Putter grips im totally  confounded , I use loads of different ones and I really don't know what is best or even what I like best.

the new musiik pistolero I have on plenty of putter and I love it, ( need and extra layer of griptape, they are a bit thin) , the IOMIC absolute, got those on tons,    JOP, been using that recently qnd liking it..

see

totally all over the  place.
TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »
Well now I am confused.   after commiting to myself that I'd get along with the new cross-hand putting grip,  I tried the old reverse overlap a few times and it seems to work as good as cross-hand.
WTF...  I did notice though that with the reverse overlap, my misses are more on the left side of the hole and with the cross-hand my misses are generally to the right of the hole.   Is that the only difference?   When I read about the cross-hand allowing you to keep shoulders level,  I could never understand that because if you have one hand up and the other down,  you will have one of the shoulders lower either way.    If I want level shoulder,  the only logical way to achieve that is to have both hands holding the club at the same position. 
Maybe I'm over thinking. 

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
    • CHIP400...drivers are for wussies...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:27:42 PM »
I don't think the grip matters as much as consistent alignment...and eyes over the ball...whatever grip you can make a good smooth, accelerating pass with...

I putted like a goblin for years, 3 putted 50% of greens...was so bad...got better with the belly and now with a couple tweeks, putting is prob best part of my game.  I think the belly helped me get set up more consistently...
Technica Titan 420/Roddio WBWA 7s
Spoon/Cleek : Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybridUT : Roddio I7s
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

db2

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »
If I want level shoulder,  the only logical way to achieve that is to have both hands holding the club at the same position. 
Maybe I'm over thinking.

If you want level shoulders when putting with your right hand low, get in front of a mirror and raise your right shoulder until it's level with the left one.  Your right arm will be straighter than the left arm, but your shoulders will be level.