Author Topic: 3 wood shaft to match your driver.....or not?  (Read 228 times)

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
3 wood shaft to match your driver.....or not?
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
At the moment, I'm loving my driver head/shaft combo. With this in mind, and the fact that I only use my 3w/4w off the tee, should I use the same make/model for my 4w as I do with my driver? Anyone else do something similar? Maybe just use a heavier weight model? Or something totally different?
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", Superstroke.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", Superstroke.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - PW + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57* + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados, Garsen.

Stevopagolf

• Fledgling Ho
Re: 3 wood shaft to match your driver.....or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
Opinion only, but if you are using it solely off the tee, I think it makes sense.  Will have the similar launch and spin characteristics if you use the same shaft.

I am currently experimenting with a 17* hybrid off the tee and off the deck for par 5's.   Going to compare that to a higher launching shaft in a 3/4W to see which wins out.

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:44:50 PM »
Probably makes sense if the FW head is made of Stainless Steel.    For me, Ti heads launch a bit high with the same shaft as driver.

Just switched the shaft in my Grandista RS-F (TI head) from a Diamana W 80S to a Diamana A'hina 60X  for speed and lower launch.    Well it worked!!
I'm getting 10 to 15 yds more carry with very good control.   I love it when experiments work!
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:43:34 AM »
If really only using it off the tee, I would say you probably can't go wrong with the same shaft. Not sure what you are playing but you might even want to look at a lower launching and lower spinning shaft because 3W hast more loft than a driver. And off the tee you are looking for adequate distance I would assume. But honestly, I think there is only so much a shaft really does to alter spin and launch characteristics. I think it is more down to the head. I have a Tensei Pro White in my 3W and it launches high with no problem. It's more a feel thing.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M