Author Topic: To much Golf?  (Read 970 times)

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
Re: To much Golf?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »
Man, this is a great topic.....I remember when I was in my early 30s and moved to Hawaii because of my fiancé , I joined a private club ( first ever ) and played an average of 3 rounds of golf a day, every darn day.....there would be days I would get 5 rounds even but that was all dependent on the number of people on the course.....3 was guaranteed.  Then in my late 30s, I actually had to work but I still managed to play 18 holes a day and 54 on my days off, the body held up great and it only got tired after 7-10 days in a row of multiple round days in 100 degrees heat.  It was in my mid 40s when suddenly, the body started to feel the effects, play would suffer after the 3rd straight day and there were days I didn't even feel like playing.  Then when I turned 50 !  Oh man, Father Time found me and beat my A$$, I actually have more time to play golf but the body will not perform....I would play about 4 rounds a week but I had to space them accordingly and if I played 36 then the next day would be crap and the day after that would be even worse.  Now im a few years older and was just having a conversation with my golf buddies about how old we are getting and how distance is suffering and body does want to play everyday.  We are scared of what the future holds for us.  I love taking golf vacations of several weeks and playing every day and now that I can afford it, my body will not do it.  I finally accepted the inevitable.  I needed to work out.....I started out real slow...just a few 1-3 mile walks and about 10-15 pushups and a few miserable pull-ups and a couple planks.  Its amazing how the body responds to workout, im about 3 months into working out and now I can walk 36 holes on a mountain course and total distance is 17 miles in 100 degrees heat and pushups and pull-ups have gotten to almost respectable levels.  About 200 pushes and 50 pulls over 6 sets.  My goal is to be able to run 11 miles at a good pace and do 400 pushups and 100 pull-ups per workout.  I lost 15 lbs and need to lose another 15.  I think the key to working out in your 50s is to accept what your body can do.  There is no Pushing it !, Pain is a bad sign and its ok to give up.  The body takes much longer to repair itself and it is mandatory to avoid injury.  Some days, ill do half a pullup  and my elbow feels sore and ill shut down.  Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest and eat super healthy and really really limit the alcohol consumption.  It pretty much takes the fun out of life but its been over 20 years since I have been in shape and I can actually visualize myself being in good shape in the next 6-12 months baring any setbacks.  Oh and cheat days are fine but don't cheat consecutive days !

Good luck to everybody in their 50s or older, it can be done !!!

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »
Good for you Robbie. Keep it going.
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", MCC Plus 4.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", MCC Plus 4.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - gw + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura WMF-06 53*/58* + BG

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 04:01:42 PM »
By the way..... 3 round per day? In you early 30's?
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", MCC Plus 4.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", MCC Plus 4.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - gw + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura WMF-06 53*/58* + BG

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »
haha...that was conservative.....most of the time it was 4-5 rounds a day......I get dropped off at the course at 6AM and picked up at 8:30PM.  After the first 6 months though, I spent more time in the clubhouse drinking and playing cards but still 3 rounds.  Back then I rode every single round but now I walk and due to mountains and heat, I am tired after 36 and wiped out after 54.  If I play 36 on Saturday, im only playing 18 on Sunday and if I played 54 on Saturday, im just relaxing on Sunday.....My health is slowly coming back and im looking forward to playing more often and enjoying it.  Losing weight and getting in shape helps big time.  My downfall was riding and drinking tons of beer.  Now I workout and walk every round and drink tons of water.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 09:26:06 AM »
Bloody hell..
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

HisAirness

• Fledgling Ho
    • DerGolfmeister
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
I like the Conservatory Course very much. I could easily play this track multiple times a week.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 06:48:57 PM »
Robbie, you just blew my mind...I'm a year and 10 months away from the big 50..arthritis is killing me...just lots of ligament and joint scar tissue...working out is mandatory for me if I want to continue playing at a decent (single digit index defines decent for me) level...even though I'm coming up on 15/16 years playing semi regularly, I never had decent coaching...would love to be a scratch golfer, just not sure I have the time and physical tools to get there...but I gotta remember that you get out of life what you put into it and face the troubling fact that I'm not going to live forever and this lifestyle of drinking all weekend and smoking all the time isn't going to work...maybe 2 or 3 more years...played last week with the camp...former Georgia tech golfer, Jax city champ many times in the day...he just finished chemotherapy (lung cancer) with the hope of getting one more year of golf...said life in his bedroom, watching tv was not worth living...sad to see the former lion who carried a +4 into his 60s struggle to shoot an 85 from the whites...

Airness, you around north Florida?  I love that course as well, started looking at lots down there...great area, you've got the ocean course for change of pace  and can come up to wgv/Sjgcc/sawgrass/etc for day trips...wife called it middle of nowhere though...

155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.6cleek/waccinecompogr77s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »
I hear you man, I got the wake up call when my dad had quadruple bypass and a stroke, this was a couple years ago and he still rehabs like crazy.  Watching him workout reminds me that life is limited and I can do more to enjoy life and golf in general.  I love to drink beer but that is counterproductive to living a long healthy life so for the most part, I don't partake.  On hot days, ill have a coors light per 18 holes and that is my reward for walking 8.5 miles in 102* heat....However drinking 1 beer isn't even fun so I pretty much quit.....After 50, your good days are limited, a good workout for guys with joint pain is lots of exercises with bands and work on balance drills.....I had some elbow pain and some shoulder pain too but after getting in better shape, it is very manageable these days.....The memory needs to be reset, I used to play competitive basketball and football and I trained like a mofo !  Those days are gone and recovery takes forever.  you would be surprised how much better you feel after eating healthy and stretching and drinking lots of water.  Add pull-ups and push ups and burpees and deadlifts and you will be amazed.  Im not sure how much further I can take this fitness but im amazed that I got this far.....For a young man what I do is not even considered a warmup but I managed to knock out 10 miles of walking and 45 pull ups and 180 pushups today.....my ultimate goal would be to run 9 miles in an hour and do 100 pull-ups and 500 pushups. 

We only get this one life and I don't want to lay in bed and count the days when I don't have to.  I think 50 is a great age to see what is left in the tank.  Sigh, I still miss my 20s and my 30s.....40s was not very interesting .....im attacking 50s with renewed vigor.

HisAirness

• Fledgling Ho
    • DerGolfmeister
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »

Airness, you around north Florida?  I love that course as well, started looking at lots down there...great area, you've got the ocean course for change of pace  and can come up to wgv/Sjgcc/sawgrass/etc for day trips...wife called it middle of nowhere though... ...

H, we visit Florida at least once a year. Nowadays with the little one more central FL (Orlando ;) ) and a couple of miles south east (Palm Beach Gardens / Singer Island) but we have been in Hammock Beach three times over the last couple of years - for golfing it is a great area but not so much for the non-golfing traveller. I like the Conservatory better then the Ocean course.

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »
Air.  Hit me up next time, never know...I like the conservatory better as well...ocean should be 2 9 hole courses...18 on ocean is tough in the wind though...

Florida is great, I recommend Jekyl island for a family trip, you'll spend quality time together...the go,f is not fancy just solid old school architecture...

Robbie you go buddy, wish I could do what u do but won't until I'm rehabbing from the bypass...
155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »
Good luck on your bypass, if you were in the San Francisco area, without a doubt I would recommend Davies Medical Center.  They have this new type of concierge service, you get private rooms and from morning to night you are working with therapists.  There was a speech therapist and a Occupational therapist and a physical therapist and a few others that I forgot about.  The level of care was incredible and it was a luxury private room and the amenities there were very nice and complete.  They even allow pet visits but your pet has to be cleared first to make sure it is safe and non aggressive oh and has all its shots and paperwork

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »
I'll be 51 in 11 days.    Early June, I had my first colonoscopy.   I did this because my wife insisted since she was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago and had to withstand very very hard times.  She's well now.   The colonoscopy did not show any issues but other tests revealed that my blood pressure was around 145 to 155 and was told that I was pre-diabetic.     
All the good food that I have been consuming with very little exercise has gotten to me.   I've been away from the gym for a good 2 years but I am back in the gym just under a month now.   Also got my personal blood pressure monitor right away at Costco.    I am starting out slow as you said, and eating very healthy already seeing good results.   5 to 6 days a week to the gym for 45 min and an extra large bucket of balls at the range every other day.   On 7/5 I was at 230lbs and this morning down to 216.  Blood pressure in the morning is well under 140 in the mornings now. 
My only concern now is that once I am very fit,  am I gonna have to change all my shafts to XS?   :)   
But seriously, investing this much effort will give me better chance of one day possibly shooting my age!   
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 08:02:03 PM »
Perhaps a new Jdmch tourney.. 50+ vs 50-.....should be fun...
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 05:49:38 PM »
Oh, that would be awesome!  My club has an event called "Lions-vs-Legends" and it's a blast!  Really one of the most competitive events I've played...cutoff was 58.  Lions played blue, Legends played back of the grey box.  I played a super fun match, just a battle in the sun...tied at the turn, 1 up through 12, finished: par, birdie, par, par, birdie, par and lost...this old dude was roaring like bishop Pickering in the greatest round of his life...the lions won a super tight battle, legends picked up a hefty bar tab...it's good to break out of your patterns and play with/against different people...I see old man ballas around the course and we always talk...played a $10 Nassau with him a couple months ago...if you give  those  old sandbaggers 2 sets of tees, look out...
155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »
Perhaps a new Jdmch tourney.. 50+ vs 50-.....should be fun...

Wait... did the inaugural JDMCH meet-up/tournament ever happen? Couldn’t tell by the posts. No pics meant it never happened, unless absence of pics were to protect the guilty!