Author Topic: Iron headweight for graphite shafts compared to steel of same weight.  (Read 498 times)

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Should the iron head be heavier if you want to play graphite shafts, or is it just dependant on the weight of the graphite shaft?
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", Superstroke.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", Superstroke.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - PW + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57* + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados, Garsen.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Should the iron head be heavier if you want to play graphite shafts, or is it just dependant on the weight of the graphite shaft?

Im thinking it depends on the weight of the shaft.  The lighter the shaft, the heavier the head needed to recover swing weight.
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

HisAirness

• Fledgling Ho
    • DerGolfmeister
It depends on the weight of the shaft and its balance point.

Also don‘t forget to check the grip weight if the grips aren’t the same. And even if they are the same the swing weight can be thrown off by them just by the weight tolerance if you get a very light and a very heavy grip within the tolerance.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
So as a rule of thumb, if using a shaft of 80g and less, you should use a heavier head, but over 80g then it should be OK to use a standard or lighter head.
Now if I bought a set of irons (onoff 2011) that were shafted with stock 65g shafts but I wanted to install 120g shafts, assuming the head is a heavy version, is there going to be a problem?

db2

• Fledgling Ho
So as a rule of thumb, if using a shaft of 80g and less, you should use a heavier head, but over 80g then it should be OK to use a standard or lighter head.
Now if I bought a set of irons (onoff 2011) that were shafted with stock 65g shafts but I wanted to install 120g shafts, assuming the head is a heavy version, is there going to be a problem?

What are the swingweights of the 65g-shafted clubs?  What are the lengths? 

All things being equal, you will add 5.5-6 swingweight points when going from a 65g shaft to a 120g shaft.

Stevopagolf

• Fledgling Ho
That is a pretty drastic weight change.  I went down 20 grams, added a half inch and tip weights to get back to D2 swing weight.

As db2 said you are adding a bunch of swing weight. I personally would not want to swing a D8 club. 

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
Should not be a problem if builder properly measures out the naked components and adds weight where needed to achieve target swing weight.  I'd suggest setting priorities and discussing with an experienced builder prior to finalizing.    The overall finished length and grips used being the fixed variables, weight can be added either on the head or butt end to get the final build close to a target swing weight.  I've found the overall weight of the club to be important to me so have been okay with some lighter swing weights in the longer or mid irons but need at least d2 in the short irons.  Some guys feel a big difference if the swing weight is off their target number or inconsistent which is why it's a good idea to weigh out the naked components at the desired finished length.  I send my stuff to a guy who knows what he's doing...according to him, it's pretty simple math...
11.2*155/Basileus Alpha 60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.3cleek/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
2balSPAM
Titliest AVX

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Thanks for all the info jdmcers, I knew I could count on you.

db2

• Fledgling Ho
As free mentioned, total weight is a critical consideration, and more important than swingweight.  The problem with swingweight is that it doesn't take into account total weight.  You could build those irons with either 65g or 120g shafts to a D2 swingweight.  But the total weights of those sets, and thus feel, would be very different.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..

Swing weight and static weight will be high.  You can use a heavy grip to counter balance for sw but static will increase again.

HisAirness

• Fledgling Ho
    • DerGolfmeister
The question is did they use a heavy head or does OnOff have only one kind of head (weight) and uses tip weights for the light weight shafts? You will only know if you can weigh the head and look for tip weights while pulling the shaft.
Using a counter weight or a heavy grip to get the swing weight lighter will do the trick on the swing weight scale but as @wmclaren1 mentioned it will increase static weight. Will it work for you? Maybe, maybe not - you have to give it a try.

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
I'd be interested to know how the CG changes for the light version vs the heavy version. 

http://www.miuragiken.com/product/cb-1008/

This one has 7g difference between the Carbon version and the Steel Version.

Where they place the 7g on the head will potentially alter the CG location.
I hope it's not all in the hosel.
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

db2

• Fledgling Ho
Tom Wishon said that adding a 12 gram tip weight can move the CG 1/8" towards the heel.  When this club was used by Iron Byron or something similar, ball flight wasn't affected. 

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Tom Wishon said that adding a 12 gram tip weight can move the CG 1/8" towards the heel.  When this club was used by Iron Byron or something similar, ball flight wasn't affected.

This is good info.

nobwas

• Platinum Ho

This is good info.

Agreed.  On some irons,  I end up putting 1 to 5 g of tip weight to get the weight flow correct.     So I guess I don't need to worry about the irons becoming draw biased because of the added tip weight.
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )