Author Topic: Golf fitness regimen  (Read 213 times)

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
    • CHIP400...drivers are for wussies...
Golf fitness regimen
« on: July 12, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
Ian's post about fitness and strength being key to hitting the ball farther got me thinking. 

The modern golf swing is a very athletic movement...getting some separation between shoulders and hips...tilt and turn...those moves require some athleticism...

I was a work out maniac from age 15 to 24...haven't touched a weight or done more than a casual hike in 15 years...probably why I'm not very long...

I do stretch before, during and after a round...

I think just 50-100 crunches, 25 push-ups, 15 overhead squats/10 lunges with light weight and some oblique/lower back work, some wrist and Lat work, coupled with stretching, 4 times a week, could do wonders for my game...

What do you guys do for a golf fitness regimen?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:57:05 AM by freehb »
Technica Titan 420/Roddio WBWA 7s
Spoon/Cleek : Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybridUT : Roddio I7s
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
Re: Golf fitness regimen
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
My thought is that flexibility and finesse is much more important in a golf swing than strength.
After being away from the gym for approximately a year I noticed yesterday that my flexibility had gone down quite a bit.
I tried doing barbell squats yesterday and I noticed that I could not spread out my hands wide and back enough to hold the barbells comfortably on my back like I used to.  For crying out loud,  I used to be in powerlifting competitions until 15 years ago!!   Sad but I guess it's reality.    Gonna have to put more emphasis on flexibility in my workouts going forward.
DR: Grandista RS-D / Diamond Speeder
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana A'hina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Benock EASPADE Type M

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
good topic!!

for me , flexability and a bit of explosive power goes a long way to consistant distance,  I don't think ive lost much distance at all over the last few years, I, ive prob not gained any but my consistencey has been   a strength. its not often  I get a dribbler  or a dispersion of 30 yards  on drives... good clubs also helps!!!!

Im a consistant  trainer so I  make sure I do a fair few rotational exercises, strengthening and stretching  the glutes and  a  LOT  of hip/groin  lower back work............

a lot.

I don't bother so much with lifting heavy things and more , no point  for me it doesn't aid as much as other modalities for what I like to do sports nowadays  the   simple  things like sets of 
wallsits.
burpees.
hang times.
lunges.
rowing machine.
swimming.. a LOT of swimming..
and a heap of stretching I think is more allined to my wa these days to help keep the    bod clean from injury.

I used to be a ninja and swordsman of  some note when I was young, I keep up the sword play up  and my   hatori hanso katana is still in its  scabbard, razor sharp  in case of intruder.
being a great swordsman doesn't do ur core  much harm.

getting old aint for pussies.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:23:13 PM by tsupo67 »
TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »
Awesome, from age 8-12 I watched kungfu movies and ran around in the woods with some samurai swords my dad brought back from the nam...swords from Japan he got he on leave...he was a little hot when I brought them back scratched up...those things are amazing weapons, I'm just lucky I didn't cut my dick off...

I just came back from visiting my son at camp in Colorado and brought my 101 year old grandfather.  Little Harry's 2 month summer camp is up in the mountains and during parents day he got tired so I took him home and went back...couple hours later he calls, had fallen, when I got back and helped him up he looked at me and said "getting old ain't for sissies"...
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:11:35 PM »
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my body, you know, uh, limber.
Taylormade 16 M2 Tour Issue Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 01:57:46 AM »
Ale.....lots of ale  :P
Driver: OnOff Type-S 9 + House of Forged Platinum, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16 + FEX 75x, 42".
HY: OnOff Prospec 21 + Roddio i-8, 40".
Irons: OnOff Forged 5i - PW + Accra Tour 110 TiMesh.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 49/53/58 + Black Gold x.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 02:26:55 AM »
Used to play Tennis at a very high level as a youth. Unfortunately, that took a toll on my back. Got tired of competing in tennis and went on to play American football. I am by no means a big guy (1.74 meters around 65 kg) but I was very quick and athletic. Played wide receiver but also that took a toll on my body. Had several ankle injuries that at some point, doctors recommended I step down from any dynamic sports. Since then I never really worked out anymore. I always hated jogging or cycling for conditioning. Soooooo boring. That is really how I got into golf. So, I am not the strongest nor the most flexible guy. I guess that is why I am not GolfWRX long.
Despite a bad body and aging I am actually picking up distance these days just due to better technique. I do stretch before start hitting balls because I need to activate my back. Otherwise, I can forget playing golf. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:49:06 AM by Shacco »
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • It's not how many BUT how Far!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 03:28:06 AM »

Ian was going to say the Same...

I start by doing some lift exercise ... well my clubs in and out the car boot( trunk for all you Yankie doddle dandies)...

Then stretch , to tie my laces up on my Shoes!!

Then a little jog to the Tee as Im usually late.....

Ive done my wrist excercise the evening before with the Old Gal watching... not sure it helps my golf but she seems to enjoy it!!

Then golf... at the halfway house I loosen off again with a couple of Moretti beverages and then its free wheel on the back Nine!!

That a few times a week is all the Excercise I need to get the ball out there....

Long live the G400....

If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my body, you know, uh, limber.

Awesome!  Just AWEsome!...I feel foolish now for even starting this thread...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:42:17 PM by freehb »
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »

Ian was going to say the Same...

I start by doing some lift exercise ... well my clubs in and out the car boot( trunk for all you Yankie doddle dandies)...

Then stretch , to tie my laces up on my Shoes!!

Then a little jog to the Tee as Im usually late.....

Ive done my wrist excercise the evening before with the Old Gal watching... not sure it helps my golf but she seems to enjoy it!!

Then golf... at the halfway house I loosen off again with a couple of Moretti beverages and then its free wheel on the back Nine!!

That a few times a week is all the Excercise I need to get the ball out there....

Long live the G400....

Good one, Dale. Thats a routine I can stick to!

Stevopagolf

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 11:14:13 AM »
I walked 18 three times this month.  I let another guy carry my clubs.  Didn't even get winded....

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 01:39:19 PM »
Impressive!  I'd like to walk more, just need a mog to carry my clubs...the muscle relaxers coupled with lots of beer, gummies and a coup,e other things really helped me swing fast and greasy today...on 18 I felts so good, balanced...just turned real tight and dropped my right shoulder...not quite Ian distence but I'll take 265 into a slight breeze all day long...

This is the 3rd round in 3 days plus a lesson for me and without the muscle relaxers I'd be seized up wth back pain...even with serious pain meds, muscle relaxers and ibuprophine I'm hurting...

Maybe my regular routine is best...the Dale routine only with lots more drugs and alcohol....and cigarettes and cigars and twinkies and Mountain Dew is best!
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • It's not how many BUT how Far!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
Impressive!  I'd like to walk more, just need a mog to carry my clubs...the muscle relaxers coupled with lots of beer, gummies and a coup,e other things really helped me swing fast and greasy today...on 18 I felts so good, balanced...just turned real tight and dropped my right shoulder...not quite Ian distence but I'll take 265 into a slight breeze all day long...

This is the 3rd round in 3 days plus a lesson for me and without the muscle relaxers I'd be seized up wth back pain...even with serious pain meds, muscle relaxers and ibuprophine I'm hurting...

Maybe my regular routine is best...the Dale routine only with lots more drugs and alcohol....and cigarettes and cigars and twinkies and Mountain Dew is best!

I was trying to be PC and not mention the Drugs!!!🙈
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »
I've got a new routine...I'm back to being sneaky good free...I just do a little something every 6 hours...

1-close my office at 11, stretch, cross arms and make 50 tight coils...roll 20 putts
2-10 mins of mirror work when I get home and I'm pretending to listen to mrs free
3-stretch my back and hamstrings out at bedtime

Epsom salt tubby and indica...
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x