Author Topic: Orion Type S and ProSpec  (Read 101 times)

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Orion Type S and ProSpec
« on: July 08, 2018, 01:37:36 AM »
Orion is one of my top 3 wedges alongside the Grind Studios and the Modart Suda wedges.

Iíve tried pretty much all variants of the splendid Orion wedges : Type S, Type G, Pro-Spec, raw and plated and have settled on the Type S and the Pro spec as being best for my game.  Type S or Pro spec will depend on condition.

On finish, Iím neutral to both raw and plated.  The raw feels firmer though and this is probably down to the copper underlay in the plated range.  The plated range is a dense kind of softer but its not altogether soft to begin with like the Epons or the SDJs.

The Type S as you can see features relief on the leading and trailing edges as well as on the heel and toe. For my game where I choke down a lot for approach shots, pitching and chipping, the heel and toe relief works wonders.  I rarely take full shots with wedges and almost always prefer choke down for more control both in terms of trajectory but also dispersion and spin.

The Prospec has a flatter sole profile with little relief grinding.  The leading edge at the neck al comes in a slight bit but its still a straight neck which I really prefer for wedges especially.  Size wise, both are the same.

Another difference to the Type S is bounce.  This is an 8 degree bounce and the Type S I think is maybe 12.  In soggy or more lush conditions, Iím more comfortable with the Type S and the Prospec tends to good deep.  Its probably more suited for the deep line of attack profile. I have to remember to place the ball slightly back in my stance with the Pro Spec than I normally do the Type S.

In terms of spin, youíll have no problem holding and depending on where you play spinning the ball back.  All my wedges are shafted with Shimada NW110s with the exception of 120s in my LW.  If anyone remembers the Crazy ToyosÖ feel of the plated Orions are very similar and that is a good thing.

I donít think Orion gets much air time with many here but Iíve been through so many different wedges and for me, these have remained.  Wedges are scoring clubs.. if youíre looking out for a new wedge, give this a try.  You may find yourself getting a whole set of Orion wedges.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:57:43 PM by wmclarenf1 »
Drivers : Abroad DF570-GTD 455-Itobori-Modart DS-Proceed IX
UTs : Modart MA01H-Proceed Ti-PXG 317
Irons : Grind Studio Proto-Roddio Meister M-Modart CBC-PXG 311T
Wedges : Grind Studio-Modart-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Srixon Z-Star

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: Orion Type S and ProSpec
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »
Good write up. Like the look of the Type S.
Ping G400 LS Tec UST Chrome
Ping G400 3 Wood UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
Good write up. Like the look of the Type S.

Really good wedges Matt.  Try em.

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 08:08:19 AM »
Absolutely agree. I have a Spy S 50* and it is great. On a long run I will be looking for a 56 Spy S. I have the plated version and the feel is addictive. It is not buttery, mushy soft like an Epon or Onoff forged or so. But it is very dense feeling. Just very good. Spin is very good as well and the sole grind works for me well with the additional killed leading edge.
No problems recommending it.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60į Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 09:23:14 AM »
Absolutely agree. I have a Spy S 50* and it is great. On a long run I will be looking for a 56 Spy S. I have the plated version and the feel is addictive. It is not buttery, mushy soft like an Epon or Onoff forged or so. But it is very dense feeling. Just very good. Spin is very good as well and the sole grind works for me well with the additional killed leading edge.
No problems recommending it.

Well described Shannon.