Author Topic: Its All About The Base July 2018  (Read 500 times)

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Its All About The Base July 2018
« on: July 07, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
Taking on DB2ís example to infuse life back to this forum, I thought  Iíd do an All About The Base Update.

Since the last AATB Update in August 2015, the only remaining driver is the Grand Prix One Minute.  Klingon however has had a shaft change with the Crime of Angel California Angel V shaft in her now.  For those who have not tried COA shafts, do given it a go.  They are really good performers. Just make sure you pick the right model and flex for your swing and head.

Making up the rest of the pack are :

Itobori with TRPX Xanadu.  Such a controversial driver that caused an entertaining storm at the farkís site once he lost the dealership for Itobori.  All said and done, while not the most forgiving head with what feels like a smallish sweet spot, when you nut this thing, its probably still my longest combo.  Has a very strong trajectory and health roll.  Great for dry months and faster fairways.

Abroad DF570.  This foamed head is also shafted with TRPX Xanadu.  Iím a real fan of the Xanadu shaft.  The 90T construction gives a high level of stability and predictability in this light weight shaft which previously was not found in similar lightweight shafts.  The low mid kick is a perfect combo for stronger launching heads which is what this Abroad is.  Iíve yet to try the COA Burning Angel shaft which is also a low mid kick shaft.  Iím hoping it doesnít do anything more for me than the Xanadu or itíll be a thousand bucks or so to change all my Xanadus.  That said, there is room for both.. Xanadu for matte heads and Burning Angel for glossy heads.

George Spirits GTD.  Iím glad Stephen put me onto this because with the Crazy 9 shaft, it can rival the Itobori-Xanadu combo.  While the Ito has a lower pitch thuddish note, the GTD is your JPS loud head.  But the wsy she performs, she can scream all she wantsÖ  The Crazy 9 is a mid launch shaft and very tight.  As with most Crazys, plays stiff to flex.  The Crazy 9 regular flex I have feels as stiff as the Xanadu which although TRPX rates at 260 CPM feels only as stiff as my COA V sr flex shafts which COA rates at 245-250CPMs.

Proceed IX.  This is Proceedís latest offering and the latest driver for me.  The face has the laser milling thingy which is supposed to take off spin and from what I have seen, this is probably y lowest spinning head.  I have the still excellent Muziik MAVC80 in her and on course today, she hit a couple of drives which are as long as anything I have hit on those 2 holes.  It was also rather windy today and into the wind, this combo also performs vey well. Still early days as its only one round with this combo but potential is high.  If this works out, it may lead to me getting Proceed irons to match this driver and the UTs.

Last combo left is the Modart DS shafted with the Seven Dreamers.  Not the longest but a good consistent performer.  The matt carbon finish of the 7D matches the matt crown of the Modart beautifully.  Modart is still the only brand I have from driver to wedges.  Still love the CBCs and the Suda raw wedges and the Modart hybrids are still long man.  Hit my 19 degree 200 meters and flew the green today.  Didnít expect that but a happy problem.

Oh.. thereís of course the A-Grind 440 which is in my cubby.  Will want to move that on as I continue to trim my driver stash so if anyone is interested, drop me a PM.  That said, I do have a spare Xanadu which will look great with this matte head.  May move the GPOM ahead as well.

Nothing new is getting my interest .. perhaps only the RS-D.  I had a RS-001 which was vey good.. letís see.

All drivers gripped with Caderos which is my fav for UTs as well.

Howís your driver collection coming along these days?  Post some reviews and pics.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:38:53 AM by wmclarenf1 »
Drivers : Abroad DF570-GTD 455-Itobori-Modart DS-Proceed IX
UTs : Modart MA01H-Proceed Ti-PXG 317
Irons : Grind Studio Proto-Roddio Meister M-Modart CBC-PXG 311T
Wedges : Grind Studio-Modart-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Srixon Z-Star

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: Its All About The Base July 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:11:01 AM »
I'd could game all of them but would pick out the Proceed/Bangvoo if given the choice......but I like the look of the Itobori too 😉
Driver: Callaway XR SZ 10.5* + Oban Kiyoshi 65 05, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + FEX 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + FEX 75 PROx, 41".
Irons: Srixon Z945 pw-8i/Z745 7i-4i + DG SL X100, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 49/53/58 + Black Gold x, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:05 AM »
I'd could game all of them but would pick out the Proceed/Bangvoo if given the choice......but I like the look of the Itobori too 😉

I really like the ito too Ian.  Apart from the cally, you gaming anything else?

TFL07670

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »
I hated the Ito driver look.. It was tiny with an odd shape.. kinda like a trapezoid. Sold it after 1 session at the range.. haha

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 07:44:15 AM »
I hated the Ito driver look.. It was tiny with an odd shape.. kinda like a trapezoid. Sold it after 1 session at the range.. haha

LOL yeah.. i reckon is a driver where its a love or hate extreme with no middle ground.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »

I'm afraid not Art, I can't horde like some of you guys can. I'd like to, but......
Driver: Callaway XR SZ 10.5* + Oban Kiyoshi 65 05, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + FEX 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + FEX 75 PROx, 41".
Irons: Srixon Z945 pw-8i/Z745 7i-4i + DG SL X100, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 49/53/58 + Black Gold x, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 10:01:33 AM »

I'm afraid not Art, I can't horde like some of you guys can. I'd like to, but......

Fully understandable
with your situation

Rovega

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »
Wow, those cadero grips looks cool.!! Haven't been buying gear for some time now.... great write up A.

db2

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »
Proceed IX.  This is Proceedís latest offering and the latest driver for me.  The face has the laser milling thingy which is supposed to take off spin and from what I have seen, this is probably y lowest spinning head.  I have the still excellent Muziik MAVC80 in her and on course today, she hit a couple of drives which are as long as anything I have hit in those 2 holes.  It was also rather windy today and into the wind, this combo also performs vey well. Still early days as its only one round with this combo but potential is high.  If this works out, it may lead to me getting Proceed irons to match this driver and the UTs.

In the past, you've said that the Proceeds (I believe you had the V and one other one) launch high to loft.  How does the IX launch relative to its loft?

Thank you for the great review.

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
Wow, those cadero grips looks cool.!! Haven't been buying gear for some time now.... great write up A.

Dude, good to hear from you.  I may have a trip to jkt next t month.  Let's hook up for a morning round at cengkareng.

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 09:06:23 PM »
Proceed IX.  This is Proceedís latest offering and the latest driver for me.  The face has the laser milling thingy which is supposed to take off spin and from what I have seen, this is probably y lowest spinning head.  I have the still excellent Muziik MAVC80 in her and on course today, she hit a couple of drives which are as long as anything I have hit in those 2 holes.  It was also rather windy today and into the wind, this combo also performs vey well. Still early days as its only one round with this combo but potential is high.  If this works out, it may lead to me getting Proceed irons to match this driver and the UTs.

In the past, you've said that the Proceeds (I believe you had the V and one other one) launch high to loft.  How does the IX launch relative to its loft?

Thank you for the great review.

Hi, yes. That's been my experience with the V and VI.  The IX 9.5 is slightky lower launching loft for loft but a lot lower spinning.

604_skyline

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
for the abroad head, both driver and fw is it that the heads with the red paint fill are foamed and the heads with the yellow paint fill are not?

wmclarenf1

• Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 06:44:56 PM »
for the abroad head, both driver and fw is it that the heads with the red paint fill are foamed and the heads with the yellow paint fill are not?

I've never noticed that. Unless they have released a new non foamed version  my understanding is this model is foamed.  Don't know about the fw.

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »
cadero on all yr drivers.... great minds!!!

cant even think to not  have them on mine  these days, theres a cpl  I still havnt got them on  and subconsciously   I wont take those out to play bec of it.

I cant stand them on irons tho  nor on fairway woods unless its a tee alt.  only  and i just put one onto my  honma   driving  iron made a really nice difference to my confidence to shape the ball a bit better.

absolutely love these grips

TM 1993 bubble burner 11* or somewhere close
callaway erc 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestback speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

mauvanilla

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »
We have quite a few things in common. I am also a fan of the Xanadu. I bought on an auction with a TROX D-016 head (which is just an average head) but as you said the feel and performance is top notch. I didn't have the time or $ to change the head but I am keeping it in one of the step bags.

But... you should get a Grandista on your team  ;D Ö Just saying ha ha ha ha ha ha