Author Topic: Japanese Equipment Reviews  (Read 623 times)

db2

• Fledgling Ho
Japanese Equipment Reviews
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »
It’s hard—and sometimes harrowing—work, being a JDM ho.  Obscure brands with websites in a strange, character-based language.  I don’t know about you, but it looks like chicken scratch to me.  This forum is fortunate to have some pleasure-seekers who have bravely traveled the dark, mysterious alleys of this world: wmclarenF1, tsupo, nobwas, among others.  They’ve shared their experiences (some exhilarating, some haunting) and saved us time, money, heartache, and quite possibly from things much worse.  But like I said it’s hard work and it gets to you after a while.  Not everyone can be like freehb and ho while playing 4,000 rounds per year. 

At times I get uneasy when I ask them the many questions I have about the underworld of JDM.  There are always more questions than answers.  More questions will just add to their burden, I say to myself.  So out of respect, I’ve decided that I need to conduct my own journey.  Thus my question: which Japanese equipment blogs do you follow?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:50:18 PM by db2 »

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
Re: Japanese Equipment Reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »
Ho’ing is not just a hobby...it’s a state of mind...it’s about looking at that golf ball and saying “hey bud, let’s party!”...

I go to ameblo, couple others...mostly just email or WhatsApp chat with people who’s opinion I care to hear...

Have generally found most real hos enjoy sharing info/answering questions...

Why did the blue man wear a tudedo to his vasectomy?  Because if I’m gonna be impotent I want to look impotent also..:
155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.6cleek/waccinecompogr77s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »
I buy everything and have  it re- built by the master  to exact specs  then try it 'on a  real GOLF COURSE  vs  another set of  already re-built clubs.
never just by itself , theres not point to that is there?

oh, and on REAL GRASS not some POS  algo driven  machine  crap.

write about it , than have to listen  to everyone say so what side spin did u get?

ignore them  laugh and do it again with something else  only  for the  next question ,
what launch angle was achieved.?

laugh more,  ignore the lemmings and continue to  do real building/ testing.

print results   AND HAVE TOTAL FWITS say  no, not right  bec.  the NUMBERS didn't correspond  to what I read on WRX   from a guy  who theoreticclay did one  on a  trackman  in his dreams one day, almost. Your results are spurious.

bwahahahhahahhahahahah.. ok

so, do it yr self and  ull get the best results don't be scared. its only money  and knowledge

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:08:49 PM by tsupo67 »
TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:01:37 PM »
While I do read a lot of Japanese blogs on new equipment,  most reviews on new releases are from smaller shop owners who ultimately have interest in selling those equipment.  Those blogs are using words directly from the producer vendors and are pretty boring.
I do not see negative reviews from them hardly ever. 

A few review sites that I like are: ( Unverified if G translate works on them )

http://shidanikki.blog47.fc2.com/
http://golfgear.top/
https://mycaddie.jp/

None of these sites have affiliation to specific brands or magazines and have straight personal opinion type reviews.   Of course each have personal preferences and so you need to interpret it as such.
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 02:17:55 AM »
Hmmm… for this, as H and Stew have alluded to, the only way to be sure is to buy and try.  That said, I do get what you’re saying and it does help to read independent reviews but you have to take that with a huge pinch of salt regardless of the reviewer. Why below.

As Nob has pointed out, most are reviews by sellers themselves and we all know that while they can sell something, its heaven sent and the same thing is dog shit maggots once they lose the dealership.  I read shidannikki most often.  I’ve found his review to be most independent and true in several cases for the heads that I have bought.  Its of course subject to some inference as google translate can be interesting.  I’ve not tried the other sites Nob listed but will now.  Apart from that, its just a lot of searches and random reading and once in a while, you get good snippets of info.  For example.. I was looking at the quirky looking Estivant ES460D and the Progress BB4… one blog (can’t recall which now) which is not a retailer, showed data indicating that they are heads for swing speeds slower than mine.  What I also typically do is search for the product and type ameblo behind. This however brings up mostly retailer sites.

What I do find very handy though is, and I’ve said this many times, you have to know roughly what profiles work for you.  So for driver heads, is your swing generally better off with deep, mid, shallow profiles and do you need more launch spin which the head shape is the primary determinant of.  Same thing with shafts.  Do you need help with launch spin which would help you narrow down kick points, tip stiffness, butt profiles etc.  CPM is also good BUT only to help you to preliminarily determine shaft flexes. That said, know that it’s a very vague number as it measures butt stiffness only and every brand has a different way of measuring butt stiffness (clamp length, head weight, shaft length, grip on/off, type of grip etc). For example, a stiff for one brand can be very different to a stiff from another.  An example is Crazy and say diamana for example.  Then also a stiff from one range from one brand can be different from a stiff from a different range from the same brand.  AN example is Crazy Royal Deco and Crazy Black . So many different permutations once you throw in model range, weight classes, materials (I’ve found 80T and 90T to feel stiffer than lesser T shafts), torque, bend profiles etc.  So its better to know the profile of shaft that works best for you and if so, something like Basileus’ shaft map works better.

I also want to echo (again) very strongly what Stew says about on course review.  LM data is in a very controlled environment and uses a lot of predetermined algorithms to churn out data.  First off, you need a very consistent swing to benefit from that.  Secondly, the course is not a controlled environment.  You have wind, humidity, fucking talkative assholes, uneven lies, you may not tee up consistently each time etc.. and then of course if its not your own LM, its likely juiced up to sell you some crap… All this said, I have an ES14 on the way in so I may be suckered into the data game as well.  At the end of the day though, the only stat that matters is what happens on course.  What’s your distance, if its n the fairway or not and of course, your score.  If round after round, you’re hitting 80% fairways and within the range of what your speed allows from a physics point of view, who cares if you have 300 more or less rpm and 1 degree in ideal launch angle and side spin.  You’re getting the results.  For my meagre 93-96-mph swing speed, if track man figures are correct, I should be getting about 255 yard average.  I can be shorter or longer but that’s where I am for my high humidity, slowish non-link-sy fairways..

All the above said, I repeat the only way to really know is to buy and try because your swing is very likely unique and a winning combo for someone else may be dog shit for you hence reviews are limited to a particular person’s experience which likely will not be the same as yours.. Buy and try again… on the course.

What I also hope to see is more members taking some risk and buying stuff and posting reviews.  I can emphatize with stew's frustrations at many being opportunistic and just riding off the experiences (and money) spent by others and then trying to get stuff on the cheap... It is what it is I guess.
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

autronicdsm

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 03:33:03 PM »
I only read blogs to see what cool new stuff is coming out in Japan. There are no real reviews that I found. Mostly just posts hyping stuff up asking readers to come to the shop and try the club. Most blogs that I read are on ameblo.

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 06:23:24 PM »
I buy everything and have  it re- built by the master  to exact specs  then try it 'on a  real GOLF COURSE  vs  another set of  already re-built clubs.
never just by itself , theres not point to that is there?

oh, and on REAL GRASS not some POS  algo driven  machine  crap.

write about it , than have to listen  to everyone say so what side spin did u get?

ignore them  laugh and do it again with something else  only  for the  next question ,
what launch angle was achieved.?

laugh more,  ignore the lemmings and continue to  do real building/ testing.

print results   AND HAVE TOTAL FWITS say  no, not right  bec.  the NUMBERS didn't correspond  to what I read on WRX   from a guy  who theoreticclay did one  on a  trackman  in his dreams one day, almost. Your results are spurious.

bwahahahhahahhahahahah.. ok

so, do it yr self and  ull get the best results don't be scared. its only money  and knowledge

I like this.  It's honest.

As someone who uses trackman regularly as part of a practice routine it plays almost zero role in head/shaft selection.  I generally know the specs that work and I send all my stuff to a really good club builder (and I take care of him because those guys are precious).  If you want to save money on gear purchases, find a good, honest builder, they will have good suggestions and once they know your swing and the general secs that work for you, they can make a wide range of quality gear work...

Quality heads and shafts shuffled around, that's all I do until I find something that kicks out whatever I've got...usually I'm going for feel but sometimes something just performs...I can't say gear has helped my scores in any way but it does enhance my fun and desire to play...

reading is good, experimenting is better, finding a great builder is priceless...

155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

Sanader

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 06:39:19 PM »
I also read mainly Japanese blogs and reviews.
In addition to the ones mentioned by nobwas above I like:
http://golftaiken.nikkansports.com

Japanese golf magazines (Golf Classic) and their reviews/overviews are well made. Not to forget “Golf Style” WITB specials!!!

db2

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 11:15:51 PM »
Thanks for the links, guys.  I agree that "try and buy" is the ultimately the best way to figure out what you want and then get it.

I guess what I was looking for in my post was the Japanese language equivalent to this forum.  Maybe it's a blog and not a forum.  Maybe it doesn't exist.  I don't know.  I'm not looking for reviews by some of the clowns on YouTube, or the Japanese equivalent to those clowns (do they even have clowns in Japan?).

I was also trying to do my part in keeping the conversation going on this forum.  Many of the original die-hards have disappeared and no longer participate.  It's even worse at TSG.  So now we have the same five guys--I should've included 95124hacker in my original post--keeping the forum afloat. 

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »
http://hikyoriupweb.1616bbs.com/bbs/

Primarily feedback on drivers and focused on distance performance.
What I hate about Japanese community & forums is how they criticize people’s comments so much.   They call out someone’s feedback as being “stupid” and “worthless” etc...
Normally Japanese are known for very quiet and soft spoken in person but when they are given power of anonymity on the internet,  they make very mean and almost unthinkable extreme bullying comments to attack individuals.   As a fellow countryman,  I find it highly immature and embarrassing.   I consider it the dark side of Japanese culture. 
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 08:28:20 PM »
I take reviews with a grain of salt like most of you said.
Even though my blog (now retired) was on a commerce site, there was no bias towards a particular brand or even towards JDM (as my series of JDM vs USDM showed).
Hopefully readers of my blog took away a data point. It’s up to each reader to decide how relevant those data points are to his own situation.

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 10:55:48 PM »
That's a great point...I've had back and forth with a lot of guys and I know from what they've told me they're headed down the wrong path...many just don't want to hear it...I'm certainly no expert but I've had a few fittings and a lot of experimentation and it doesn't take a genius to realize a guy who is 220 off the tee and hits a 7i 135 does not need 100g+ stiff shafts in his irons...that's by far the biggest waste of money I see, more flex than needed...what surprises me most is the questions about performance without any baseline...stew, rhoudy, squirts reviews are entertaining and informative but my driver clubhead speed tops out at 105, I don't have to try a Diamana X at 70g in X flex to know I'm going to struggle to load and launch with it...

I had a guy on wrx actually pm me complaining about the Roddio shafts he purchased on my recommendation...I remember the thread, I had asked some general questions that he didn't respond to, told him my xperience...

The i10s he got didn't work for him...turns out he's 80 llbs smaller than me and a good bit shorter...I guess he felt I should have osmisized that information?
155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 11:05:10 PM »

The i10s he got didn't work for him...turns out he's 80 llbs smaller than me and a good bit shorter...I guess he felt I should have osmisized that information?

So you need to be 80 pounds overweight to hit i10s? ;D
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »
just to reiterate the  totally waste  of info achieved from driving ranges...
I spent sat out here with 5 of my sub alternate drivers that I have trouble loving, the are all shafted with  diamana X /stinger  shafts  apart form the 2010 onoff shingo spec  one which I LOVE but at 46 inch plus I cat control , I loose it left all the time. ( one of my all time fave shafts once its been tipped/ butted   properly )
hitting in JP decent range rox  ( toustage ball )  , that die at about 250 yards. they simply start falling all over the place.
THEN  someone had put a poper titlest v1  in the machine, the ball  hit the back net about half way up the net. which is about usual for my on course drives. not flailing about willy nilly  at 230.
how can anyone properly gauge what a club can do when the ball u hit... oh and that's the other MOST significant aspect of  trying ,using the same balls for everything,   doesn't obey physics very well??

Tee height is another massive determining factor , the amount of    " dud "   clubs that have sprung to light bec of the new  super long tees that u can get is amazing.

there are SO many questions to  ask the reviewer that  are  relevant to an inidviudal swing, that is utterly impossible to put out in a review, that's why when I do it, I don't care a shiit about the numbers what so ever , bec that is so totally irrelevant for  me to the  you whats  the fkkn point asking??????????????????????????????

the   things im looking for   every time ,say in a driver are the same :
 dispersion,
 ability to shape ,
 overall length,
where the mishits end up!!!!!!!
how it goes in wind,/pressure.
performance VS something else with the SAME SHAFT.

if it doesn't out do the one I have already il move it along and seeing that all my driver shafts are diamana X  and  stingers  , I know 100% that its not about the shaft its the combo that didn't do it , and more often than not is the head  shape that I ddint gel with

2 perfect examples  from the range are  the roddio s tuning.  and astro tour v2
 now I know why , the astro tour I think is my longest driver but I struggle to control it on mishits  a lot more than I do with the jbeam 435  and epon 101.

the more  elongated convex face shape and I are NOT  bed buddies. is it the shaft
diamanax and stinger ...errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  NO!!

so its the head. and  theres nothing more frustrating than  bad   head !

TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 08:29:47 PM »
I agree. Bad head sucks!