Author Topic: What does handicap really mean?....really....  (Read 145 times)

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
    • CHIP400...drivers are for wussies...
What does handicap really mean?....really....
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
The handicapping system has become a joke IMO...in many private games the only way I'd play most of the rascals around here is if we negotiated fair strokes...people have gotten so loose with the rules...especially the score...and consistently posting...

At my home club there are 3 to 7 guys who are consistently adjusted at the events based on people ratting them out for not posting or posting from the wrong tees or the wrong score...many regular golfers, professional gentleman in other venues of life, remorselessly sandbag they handicap I presume so they can win more money or handicapped events...

Then there's the reverse sandbagger...these guys usually carry a four to 7 hcap and play to a 10 when $ is on the line or won't play for money at all...I know a few who carry a 10-12 but play too a 16/17 in an event or $match...I don't play with these guys very often anymore unless they're hosting at a nice private club...

The main thing at my club is the money games...theres 4 pretty decent stakes games a week for men and one for the old guys...if you win either the Friday or Saturday games and take home a couple gross skins you can go home with $400+...the Sunday game is all gross skins an usually $10-$100 Nassau depending on the group with all the junk and validation and stuff...needless to say this environment breeds a lot of handicap scrutiny and animosity fr perceived or actual cheating...

I've been around for a while and I know a lot of people aren't honest but for crying out loud, play to the spirit of the rules...you don't have to go crazy, if you play a game that allows 2 of the first tee, that's fine...I don't think you're cheating if you smash your first ob, 2nd center cut, make 4 and post it...you want a vanity handicap?  Knock yourself out...but when you shoot 74 or 77 and don't post it?  You're cheating and then when you negotiate strokes based on your fake handicap you're lying...you are..you guys know who you are and there's a lot of you...hell, I've had periods where I didn't keep an honest handicap...when I first started playing and getting into golf I had a vanity handicap...I started playing for money and while I enjoyed the comp I didn't like losing...it wasn't till about 5 years of play, finding a group of serious golfers and learning the etiquette that I even felt bad fr doing those things so I guess I understand you sandbaggers, both the cheater/lier type as well as the narcissus type...

Do as all a favor sandbaggers...develop some integrity...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:14:51 PM by freehb »
Technica Titan 420/Roddio WBWA 7s
Spoon/Cleek : Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybridUT : Roddio I7s
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
Re: What does handicap really mean?....really....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
like this  post.

Only way ill play for  proper coin is if I know  the  guys game ok , or if its in a stableford  game  in comp  for  smalls.

I used to be in a pretty " healthy" Nassau game , same 5/6 guys   for  years,  it got  intense at times and some good old numbers got posted, robust  wallet thinning/fattening!

certainly shows what ur made of  coming down on the 17th /18th  with  3 presses on and a chance of a double to finsh off,  esp when ur loosing! , all or nothing,
 best type of golf ever IMO.

I struggle with hcaps, bec I have 2 ,  one in jp one at home. neither is applicable to thew other and I get killdd most times when I get home, bec  its too low  to be  held. fks me off, but what can I do.
  I post every score.
hcap never moves  back up  my way so I loose  all the time now,  I came 100th......100th  2 months ago!!!

how the fk  can u come 100th?

thers only  bloody  90 players!
TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 09:56:32 PM »
Ahhh, best golf indeed...nothing like hitting a shot with character with a lot of money on the line...

In the Saturday game friend of mine shot 70 and made nothing, a guy who shot 115 won $240...

The course you play has a lot to do with it.  If your home track is super hard I'm generally seeing better players to hcap vs clubs that are pretty easy...

Had a friend join a nice private in the area..course is shorter than ours but it plays significantly longer..the greens are extremely sloping...I p,ay ther once a month, it tests every part of my game...rating is lower slope a bit higher than my course which is fairly easy...just a bit of length, no serious trouble...have to hit 1 draw but otherwise play a cut up the left...only 2 forced carries..greens are big and perfect usually, 3 that are curvy but otherwise relatively flat...his handicap is now a 9 after a year playing 50% of his rounds at the harder course...he's been a 3-6 since I played with him...

I lost in the member guest to this guy coming from sawgrass...he was a 6 but didn't miss a shot..ate up the back in 33 strokes, never in trouble, kinda side that could have been a 30 if a couple putts rolled in...he was a good guy, I believed his handicap, I've played sawgrass CC before.  If I played there I'd probably play off 10 or 11...it's at least 6 strokes harder...on bad days maybe 12 bit the rating is only a point and change higher...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:01:52 PM by freehb »
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »
A friendly wager is always fun but these guys who think they're "hustlers".really piss me off.  If I get paired with someone and they'd like $1 a hole bet, even if they're a little better than me I'm inclined to take it but I think it's rude to overtly lie about ones handicap...was playing by myself in the Dominican and was paired with a guy from Texas and his brother...they wanted to bet, said they each were 8/9 handicaps...they both had good golf swings but missed everything on the front...one of them wanted $100/hole n the back, I agreed to $5...both of them were coincidentally under pare once the bet went up...

Meh,
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 11:21:20 PM »
ha.. well that  kinda nonsense   wud  prob get  one of your arms  cut off over here.
we just don't do that  crap here.. 
if you did..,  you wud never get re invited anywhere by anyone  and if u did  it as a guest  of a member  to another  member , the introducer wud most prob  get his membership   postponed while an invetigation was conducted.

things are pretty strict up here.

I had a craker of a fk up which ill never forgive this guy for.
one of my fave courses of the last 20 yrs and a course we  had no right to be on, its a members only track , ripper of a track, 7200 yards , allowed to play from the tips, book as late  as fri night if spare spots were ok  to play,  GREAT lay out. great condition.  this SSSSSSSwipe, hit a  shiitty shot , and slammed his club head  into the club cart skirting board in disgust and broke the damn thing!!!!
, I had no idea about it at the time , I was in another cart,  I got called in about it  and  anyone id introduced  prior was   henceforth banned for ever from  playing again.

think I dint loose it  at every imaginable level at his total  fkwit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sent a letter, offerd to pay.. u name it.

no chance.

one of my best ever gone,seems some don't take golf like it prob shud be taken to and im pretty carefull who I invite these days.

TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Chip 400!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:48:17 PM »
That sucks, I have to play a club nearby under a fake name just fr blowi g chunks in front of one f the owners...am always a good guest, take care of the course, good pop and etiquette...just a real hot day and too much brown water right after winning a meat grinder...
505 4-P Roddio i10s
213 52/58 Roddio i10s
Oworks 2ball
Titliest ProV1x