Author Topic: Kamui TP-XF 3W  (Read 385 times)

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
Kamui TP-XF 3W
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »
Picked up the Kamui TP-XF 3W today and went straight to the range and played 9 holes after where I hit quite a few shots with it. Off the tee as well as off the deck. It is now paired with the Tensei Pro White 60S. I build it short at 42.25 and it is tipped 1. I found out that 70gr. range shafts in the 3W work alright but I always feel like I have to work them a little harder than Id like. Funnily I play a 60gr. range shaft in the driver as well and have no issues. I opted for the Tensei Pro White because I am loving the Pro Orange in the driver and they have similar profiles just the Pro Orange is counterbalanced and supposedly slightly tip stiffer. Unfortunately, the short build with a 60gr. range shaft is causing some SW issues that I still need to fix. Its too light feeling for now.
Looking at the head it looks pretty simple and I like that. Classic black glossy crown and silver face. Size is also good. Not too big but not too small. The face is fairly shallow. Not quite as shallow as my Jbeam FW but nothing to worry about hitting it off the deck. Speaking of the face. The only negative I can find on looks is that the face is pretty long heel to toe. Makes the head look out of proportion. But I will tell you that after the first hit it did not bother me anymore. It was immediately clear that it outperformed my current 3W. I was pretty unhappy with my 3W because it was spinning way too much and I was losing distance therefore. My 19* hybrid was almost as long as my 3W.
I was a little worried that the Kamui would be too low because it has 14.5* of loft. But this is not an issue at all. It launches pretty high but does not spin as much. How much of that is the head vs. the shaft I dont know. But this combo works for me. I dont think it is a low low spin monster but it keeps in a much better window for me. This is definitely longer. Super easy to hit off the deck but works off the tee for me. Well actually I never understood the concern of a shallow face off the tee in the first place. Im not teeing it up like a driver after all.
The feel is very good. Quite soft and it sound fairly muted as well which was surprising to me because it has a DAT55G face which never felt the best for me in all other clubs I hit that had that face material.
So far I am very very impressed with the combo. Just need a bit more weight in the head in it should be perfect.
By the way, I should thank Nob-San for pointing me to the Kamui.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:12:58 PM by Shacco »
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: Kamui TP-XF 3W
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
What happened to the grip logo?
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", Superstroke.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", Superstroke.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - PW + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57* + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados, Garsen.

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
What happened to the grip logo?

He built it logo down. Dont really care to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:20:55 PM by Shacco »

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:39:45 PM »
Congrats on your new FW build!!
Ti FW heads tend to launch higher loft for loft due to the lower CG compared to steel heads.
I too would have chosen a similar profile tip stiff shaft to keep the trajectory under control.   So good choice there.
DAT55G seems to work well for smaller sized heads like FWs and Hybrids but when used in larger driver heads,  I think it resonates a bit more than say an SP700.

DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
2nd round with the Kamui today. Impressions from the first outing were confirmed. All around great 3W for me. Feels great, long and forgiving. What more do you need?

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 04:11:40 AM »
This is continuing to perform. Very happy with it. One thing I noticed is that it looks like it has a lot of loft on it. Certainly doesn't look like 14.5 of loft. Very confidence inspiring off the deck.

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:57:30 AM »
This one is becoming one of my favorite clubs in the bag. Anyone in the market for a 3FW should seriously consider hitting this. Works perfectly off the tee and off the deck and it feels great. Can't recommend this enough.