Author Topic: Grandista RS-D !!!  (Read 2004 times)

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
Re: Grandista RS-D !!!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
The sound of the RS-D is close to perfect as I can hope for. 
A nice well behaved  "Thwack"  with just enough metallic sound mixed in.

DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
So I'm getting more interested in the RS-d.  Looking at the pics below, the Isle plate skeleton looks similar to the LS. 

What are the differences?  Crown material, face material, cg placement, face height, size etc?

Thanks
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:37 AM »
New one looks to be draw biased. Love the sole on the older one. Can those carbon plates be swapped out for heavier/lighter ones?
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", MCC Plus 4.
FW: jBEAM Glorious 15.5* + Kuro Kage Proto 70x, 42", MCC Plus 4.
HY: Ping G20 20*/23*/27* + Accra FX200h M5/FX300h M4, 39", MCC Plus 4.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - gw + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura WMF-06 53*/58*, Black

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
So I'm getting more interested in the RS-d.  Looking at the pics below, the Isle plate skeleton looks similar to the LS. 

What are the differences?  Crown material, face material, cg placement, face height, size etc?

Thanks

LS-001
Carbon Crown
Carbon Sole plates
9 weight screws
DAT55G face
450cc
CG Distance 43mm
CG Depth 38mm
CG Height 29.5mm

RS-D
All Titanium construction
2 weight screws
SP700 face
445cc
CG Distance 35mm
CG Depth 35mm
CG Height 33mm

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »
New one looks to be draw biased. Love the sole on the older one. Can those carbon plates be swapped out for heavier/lighter ones?

The carbon plates cannot be replaced.   The 9 little screws are actually weight screws.  there are made with different material for the different weights.
you can offset the weights to change the bias using these 9 screws.   

Grandista's belief based on their feedback from their users and students (CEO Yoshida is a teaching Pro and an Ex Long Drive Champion)
is that amateur players need help in fully capturing the ball at impact.     
Easiest method to achieve this is to make the face closed ...  but we all know this is not desired by most players.
What they did was to keep the face angle square or actually a bit open but to have internal weighting on the heel to make it easier to square the face at impact.   RS-D has two weight screws an 8g and a 2g by default which can further offset the CG to make the head even more easier to square at impact. 
I have my weight set to 8g on the back and 2g on the heel.   Even at this setting, I'm drawing almost 100% of the time.

At first I was a bit worried about this new head being draw biased ... because I actually don't have problems drawing the ball even with my very large 460cc Ping G20.   Initial couple of range sessions showed that indeed RS-D was somewhat draw happy head.   but after switching out the weights to a less draw setting,  it has become a more consistent baby draw.    With the Ping G20 I had occasional misses to the right ( like a block shot ) when my swing went awry.   With the RS-D  no more misses to the right and I am on the fairway more often.   Can't complain about that.

Only warning for those who are planning to try the RS-D is to possibly go 0.5 deg or a full deg higher on the loft than normal.  Loft for loft it seems to go lower than most other heads.    Think JBeam/Crazy 435 in terms of loft vs. trajectory

db2

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
Thereís a lot to be said about improving performance by being able to eliminate one side of the fairway.  I had a 3W that only knew how to fade, even though I hook the ball.  Iím currently in driver search mode and would like to find two drivers: one that wonít miss left and another that wonít miss right.

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
This RS-D would be a good candidate for one that eliminates misses to the right.

604_skyline

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »
nobwas,

you probably have the most time with the rs-d, i know you mention the draw bias, but there is the ability to tweak it slightly. do you think it would be possible to set this head up for even the slightest of fade? i am anti left, and prefer to hit a power fade off the tee with a driver even when the shot does not necessarily call for it, so would it be possible to set this head up for at least neutral to slight fade or full fade?

secondly the face angle on these are pretty much square correct? not like a jbeam/crazy 435 where u can get a -2 open head.

finally, what is the face depth like on the rs-d compared to the jbeam/crazy crz-435 i know nothing really compares to the deepness of the baldo 568 competizion or the new blado ttx both in 420cc those are massive deep and really my preference, but...

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »

The carbon plates cannot be replaced.   The 9 little screws are actually weight screws.  there are made with different material for the different weights.
you can offset the weights to change the bias using these 9 screws.   

Grandista's belief based on their feedback from their users and students (CEO Yoshida is a teaching Pro and an Ex Long Drive Champion)
is that amateur players need help in fully capturing the ball at impact.     
Easiest method to achieve this is to make the face closed ...  but we all know this is not desired by most players.
What they did was to keep the face angle square or actually a bit open but to have internal weighting on the heel to make it easier to square the face at impact.   RS-D has two weight screws an 8g and a 2g by default which can further offset the CG to make the head even more easier to square at impact. 
I have my weight set to 8g on the back and 2g on the heel.   Even at this setting, I'm drawing almost 100% of the time.

At first I was a bit worried about this new head being draw biased ... because I actually don't have problems drawing the ball even with my very large 460cc Ping G20.   Initial couple of range sessions showed that indeed RS-D was somewhat draw happy head.   but after switching out the weights to a less draw setting,  it has become a more consistent baby draw.    With the Ping G20 I had occasional misses to the right ( like a block shot ) when my swing went awry.   With the RS-D  no more misses to the right and I am on the fairway more often.   Can't complain about that.

Only warning for those who are planning to try the RS-D is to possibly go 0.5 deg or a full deg higher on the loft than normal.  Loft for loft it seems to go lower than most other heads.    Think JBeam/Crazy 435 in terms of loft vs. trajectory

Good stuff Nob.  Thanks

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 12:15:03 AM »
nobwas,

you probably have the most time with the rs-d, i know you mention the draw bias, but there is the ability to tweak it slightly. do you think it would be possible to set this head up for even the slightest of fade? i am anti left, and prefer to hit a power fade off the tee with a driver even when the shot does not necessarily call for it, so would it be possible to set this head up for at least neutral to slight fade or full fade?

secondly the face angle on these are pretty much square correct? not like a jbeam/crazy 435 where u can get a -2 open head.

finally, what is the face depth like on the rs-d compared to the jbeam/crazy crz-435 i know nothing really compares to the deepness of the baldo 568 competizion or the new blado ttx both in 420cc those are massive deep and really my preference, but...

As I understand the head is already somewhat draw biased by design even without the weight screws.
I donít think fade bias with this driver is a option.   But hey thatís me.  Perhaps others with the right skills can hit fades with this.   

Face height is also semi shallow.  Definitely shallower than the JBeam 435.
I like my driver on the shallow side so it fits my eyes well.

The overall profile kind of reminds me of the P Tune PG 313 for a few years back.  However the RSD feels much more forgiving.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
I succumbed.... Will pair it with the COA California...

mauvanilla

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 11:34:08 PM »
And you will LOVE it!

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 01:16:01 AM »
And you will LOVE it!

You and Nob are not good influences...

mauvanilla

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 07:12:56 AM »
If you get hooked; bring the beast to HK and lets have a round in DB!

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 07:21:01 AM »
If you get hooked; bring the beast to HK and lets have a round in DB!

That's a thought.  Steven is back in HK now as well.