Author Topic: Longest Bestest Driver ever !!!!!!  (Read 1455 times)

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
Longest Bestest Driver ever !!!!!!
« on: February 18, 2018, 01:09:57 PM »
Ive pretty much bought every driver available and have every driver shaft imaginable....haha and after 10 different 7D shafts including the LD-01, i have concluded that 7D is very nice to look at but rally not that special in terms of distance or dispersion.  It is however extremely well made and a luxury item.  The only thing that makes a better driver is increasing your swing speed.  There are other variables such as AOA and hitting the center.  As an example, if you can swing the driver 100mph, the most you will ever absolutely carry is 260 and roll out to 292 under a sunny day and firm conditions.  To achieve this number, you will need a setup that works best for you and that can be determined through trial and error.  More important than absolute distance is repeatable distance.  I rather have a driver that carries 235 in the middle every time than the super long 250 carry that is wild and only hits fairways like Tiger Woods. Depending on the course you play, there is always 2 different ways to get distance, one is mostly carry and minimal roll and the other is the super hot screamer that hits and runs, which is great for wide open desert golf but not so good for forced carry courses or tree lined courses like Olympic Club Lake Course and Spyglass.

If you are in the 100mph swing category, i would say to get your launch to between 15*-17* with backspin of 2100 and a smash factor of 1.45 or better.  Those numbers will get you to the holy grail.  Haha and now to the driver review

Ping G400 9* -  Nice straight long driver, forgiving with good carry but distance is average to good but very repeatable. This driver didn't make the bag because it was too much spin.  I was getting 2700-2900 avg.  There is a sweetspot above the middle of the club that will bring down spin, but I'm not that good to hit that exact spot every time

Ping G400LST 10* - This was paired with a Evenflow 65S and it gave me the best results for average.  It is very controllable and gives me very good distance.  I actually gamed this for almost a month but the more i played it , the shorter it got.  The Honeymoon period wore off and it turned out to be a good driver but not a great driver.  I could get this setup to spin about 2300 and launch at 16* with smash factors at 1.44-1.47

Ping G400 LST 8.5* - This driver is less forgiving.  It is a great driver hitting indoors on a GC2 but out doors under windy conditions, it has less control.  This is an example of a super long driver when hit perfectly.  But when you are not swinging well, this driver will get you into trouble.

Callaway Epic 9* and 10* - This is another driver i gamed but it was last year so I'm drawing off old memories.  This is the sliding weight model.  I preferred the lower loft and with the right shaft i could get spin down but it still was slightly too high at 2400-2600.  If you can hit the middle that is great and this driver has the sound and feel that i like.  Does the jailbreak technology work ???  It didn't work for me.  Hit this outside the quarter sized middle and it behaves much like any other good driver out there.  There is nothing special outside the middle.

Callaway Epic SZ 9* and 10* -  This was another gamer from last year, the 9* was very very good and when my swing was on, this definitely was my go to monster club.  This is a rare club that performs better outdoors than indoors.  On a GC2 launch monitor, i got good numbers but not great.  Take this driver to a course and your swing is on and you are absolutely in love.  Problem is that the driver entices you to swing harder.  When you hit 290, you want 300 and when you hit 305, you want 320 and it never ends.  The flight is hot and this one is long.  However if your swing is off, you will suffer.  Forgiveness in terms of direction is this club's weakness.  So i went to a 10* SZ and that is where the magic ends.  In my hands the 9* and the 10* SZ are 2 different beasts.  Since this was my gamer, i tried over a dozen shafts and weight setups and face angles.  I spent a ton of time on GC2 and trackman and actual course time.  This is a driver i would return to.

Taylormade M1/ M2 2017 - Tried to love this club.  Mine were the tour issue models and i tried everything from a 7.2 loft to a 11 deg loft.  I wanted to like it but it just wouldn't come through.  This club just doesn't have that "it" factor, it looks decent but sounds and feels bad. I did hit a bomb with the M2 once but that was it.  I had so many other drivers i liked.  Took this out on the course for about 15 rounds and probably 30 indoor range sessions.  I would say stay away from this driver.

Taylormade M2 2016 -  This club is really really nice and i could see that if you have one you like, stay with it.  I doubt you will find anything better.  This is a large faced driver on the shallow side.  It looks good and feels great.  It can go straight and it can draw and fade.  It will make mistakes but i noticed that it tended to limit slices to fades and duck hooks to hard draws.  its basically a long lowspin driver that works overtime to keep you in play.  It does everything well.  If it suits your eye, this is a keeper.  I gamed a 8.5 and a 9.5 and a 10.5.  Surprisingly all 3 lofts are good and each will have a strength and a weakness.

PXG 0811 -  I paired this with many shafts but it seems to only work with the 7D LD-01 shaft in SX flex.  It had good length and good control. It was a good driver but nothing great. It didn't have any magic bombs in it.  Basically i found this to be a shorter version of the Ping G400 LST 10*  They probably average the same distance but you can coax a long bomb out of the G400 every now and then.  The PXG 0811X Prototype was a dog.....that was it just a dog.  Im sure the retail version is better but the proto is a dog.

* GAMER

This is my gamer, I'm not even sure how it happened.  I put this driver together when i was super bored and swinging like crap.  It was so bad that any driver in my hand looked bad.  I was approaching the point where i really didn't even want to play anymore.  So for giggles, i put together a 9* Fusion with a Accra Extreme Z 455 shaft in stiff flex.  This is a very easy to load shaft and really lightweight.  I think its about 57g.  In addition , it was short and i had to put a 3/4" extension just to get the club to 44 7/8".  ˇi took this indoors and the numbers were surprisingly good.  the driver feels great and just wants to go straight. I got rid of my giant hook draw and my big block fade.  It takes horrible mechanics to produce those swings but i used to get them to work.  It was a bandaid for a bad swing.  However when i put the big draw on the Fusion, it just went straight right, no towering draw.  And when i tried to play a high bomb up the left and have the ball cut back to the middle.  I got a bullet up the left side.  If i was younger i would try to fight this driver but I'm older and weaker so i just let the stupid thing be. I aimed up the middle and it went straight.  Launch appears to be about 15-16* and spin is about 2100.  Super long and feels great.  After spending in excess of 30K on drivers and shafts,my magic snowflake is worth about $49.  I don't even want to tell you about my magic 3 wood which is probably worth about $29 on a good day.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
Re: Longest Bestest Driver ever !!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
Absolutely love the write up!
Fantastic!
Thank you for the excellent read....

If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »
Great write up Rob!
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
Great write up. Except for the PXG and the Fusion I tried all of them as well. Funny enough I had almost the exact same results as you. G400 LST 8.5 was good on the course for me and very consistent (played it at 9.5 though and might add to consistency).
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
Great read. Tried the Fusion once and didn't get on with it, but I loved the look. May have to try one out but I too have found my gamer in the form of a much cheaper driver...
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", MCC Plus 4.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", MCC Plus 4.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - gw + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura WMF-06 53*/58* + BG

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
I too have tried too many drivers and shafts in the past. I don't use a launch monitor because I like to do my testing outdoors.
Every time I pick up the Fusion in my hands, I want to barf because I hate the triangular shape and length front to back.
I'm committed to making my 2017 M2 work. May need to try a different shaft because the Fubuki Tour feels too light sometimes.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »
Rob, nice reviews and summary thoughts from hoing...it's all about experimentation, that's what my experience has told me...shuffling and reshuffling until I find the Grail...that's a lotta usdm and 7D...
155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.6cleek/waccinecompogr77s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
Good info. Share a lot of your thoughts although Ive not hit the PXG (no appeal for me) or the Fusion (same). Probably should though. I always felt the Fusion was basically a USDM Ryoma, and these thoughts kinda back that up.
TI Taylormade 16 M2 w/ TI Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood w/UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* w/Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 22* Driving Iron w/ Aero i95
13 ONOFF Forged 5-P w/ Modus 125
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
Thats a great way to describe it,  the Fusion is a lot like the original Ryoma D1. 

JanKo

• Super Ho
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:09 AM »
Did you already try the rogue?
I only took it out for 2 rounds and a some range sessions. Seems to have distance like epic with the playability of the Fusion.
Epon AF-153 - Diamana B
Yamaha Inpres X V 14 - Attas 3
Titleist 816h 19 + 23- Rogue Black 85
Epon AF-302 5-PW
Callaway MD3 black 50 + 56 - Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM Grind black 60 - Modus 125 Wedge
Golds Factory custom (modified Tiger Woods tribute)

D22marshall

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 02:09:37 AM »
I have been through a lot of drivers and shafts too, was not going well finally got a taylormade m2 17
Tour issue to what specs I thought I would like.
Finally I am smashing my driver and when I try different shafts I know the Head is not a variable in the equation.
Fire express original 65x plays a tad softer with the tip installation so works perfect for me.
Feel and sound is way better than a lot I have tried.
Hate looking at a usdm club in my bag but its reforms too well!

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:00:08 AM »
the weekend  I  looked a the 70000000000000000000000000000000000000000000  green manifesttions  of   callawyas and  the 9000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 white/carbon headed  TM t 1/2/3 what evers   that are being sold in  every single shop taking up practically  90 % of shelf  driver space here.

seriously , I think  im the odd man out  bec  they  all look utter  shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.
 and spam.

and the old latest and best ever ( from about 3 months ago!!!!), the gloire. is getting given away now  at ridiculous prices bec its rubbish  apparently...............

I just have no idea why anyone here wud support that  fkkn claptrap spam.

I resign form hoing.

TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 10:21:15 AM »
I only took it out for 2 rounds and a some range sessions. Seems to have distance like epic with the playability of the Fusion.

I wanted to try the Rogue SubZero, but I know the moment I swing the Rogue, I will be left with a Fusion that refuses to listen to me and a new driver that is good but unpredictable.  I finally got something that works and im afraid to lose the magic.  However if the Fusion betrays me, I will be trying the Rogue SZ and the JBeam Bullet.  Haha this fusion is like a marriage.  The old girl might be a bit tired but she works great and we know each other on good days as well as bad days.  We have been through some tough courses and crazy windy days.  She has gotten me through matches with much younger guys with vastly superior swing speed.  Too much positive history, I can't stray.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 10:35:08 PM »
the weekend  I  looked a the 70000000000000000000000000000000000000000000  green manifesttions  of   callawyas and  the 9000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 white/carbon headed  TM t 1/2/3 what evers   that are being sold in  every single shop taking up practically  90 % of shelf  driver space here.

seriously , I think  im the odd man out  bec  they  all look utter  shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.
 and spam.

and the old latest and best ever ( from about 3 months ago!!!!), the gloire. is getting given away now  at ridiculous prices bec its rubbish  apparently...............

I just have no idea why anyone here wud support that  fkkn claptrap spam.

I resign form hoing.

Haha, I'm with you stew, throw that crap in the garbage where it belongs...
155/basialpha60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.6cleek/waccinecompogr77s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
Evenroll mallet
Titliest AVX

Robbiez

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »

Yes I took the Rogue SZ out for a extended tryout....The fusion feels better and the SZ looks better.....In performance, I found the SZ to be slightly longer and the Fusion to have more control.  If I wanted to have more fun and bragging rights, its the SZ and for lower scores its the Fusion......definitely keeping both around. 

* If you are using the 2016 M2 ( tour ) or the Cobra LTD, or the G400 LST, you are not missing out.  Differences are so small right now......its almost as small as the number of buyers on BST or the members who post.