Author Topic: Got to try the Rogue drivers  (Read 823 times)

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
Got to try the Rogue drivers
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
I had the chance to hit both the standard and SZ Rogue drivers yesterday at Puetz Golf in Seattle.
The shaft I had in them were the PX EvenFlow... hate the name but the shaft was not bad at all.   
Not a trackman session so just my first hand observations for now.

Standard 9 deg head standard setting:
At address,  you notice the slightly elongated shape front to back.   I am not a fan of the Chevron alignment aid.  Looks cheap.  The speed bump thing on the crown is not too noticeable.   
First impression was that the launch was not overly low even with the 9 deg Standard.  I usually struggle a bit with Callaway 9 deg drivers due to low spin.
What I also noticed was that the sound was less muted and did not feel dead like the Epic.   Still no comparison to G400...   But not a bad a sound or feel. 
I could get along with it.    Forgiveness, I thought was significantly improved.   I would say to near G400 levels.  Very easy to hit consistently.

Sub Zero 10.5 deg head standard setting
The SZ head was 10.5 ... gave it a try at standard setting anticipating the lower spin to lower the launch angle as well.    Hmmm not so much.   It actually went slightly higher.    Shape at address was more conventional Callaway.   Less elongated and rounded profile.  Unfortunately this SZ head still had the Chevron alignment... just ugly...     
Normally,  I have issues with ultra low spin heads where I occasionally get these shots that drop off too quickly.   I still remember trying the original XR16 Sub Zero .. I had to go up to 11deg in loft to get any real flight out of it.   Not this one.    I was nearly as consistent with it compared to the standard head.    I did not find it too difficult hit.   

I am trying to decide what head to pair my AAA ‘15 shaft with.    I will test the Rogue standard against the G400Max when it comes out. 
On the other hand the Zodia Z921 that I have not been able to sell may well end up in that spot.  Feel and sound of the Zodia are no match to these USDM heads not even the G400.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:10:43 AM by nobwas »
DR: G20 Black / TP-6 | MA01D+R / Seven Dreamers
FW: G20 Black / TP-8 | MA01F / BX70
UT: G / KBS Graphite | MA01H / STP
IR: J015CB / K's 8001 | Seven x Shinagawa MB / CBI-80 LTD
WG: MG S-01 / K's 8001 | Seven AG / Modus Wedge
PT: MGP-M2 | Benock Blue Dragon II

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • left shoulder right foot, right shoulder work down
    • CHIP400...drivers are for wussies...
Re: Got to try the Rogue drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
Nobs, you should save that '15 AAA of the AF155.  10* should fit you perfectly.  That will be a real long, delicious feeling combo...I guaranty!
155/Basileus Alpha 60s
Spoon/Cleek : Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybridUT : Roddio I7s
705 5-A : Muziik Bangvoo 90s
213 54/60 : Muziik Bangvoo 90s
SC Kombi S

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
Thought about that too ...  One of the things I like about my primary set is that I have all Modart woods.  I know it shouldn’t matter,  but I do want to at least get a matching brand 3 or 5 wood to compliment the driver.   And the fairway absolutely needs to be shallow faced.  Kinda hard to do with JDM boutique brands when you think about it.   

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
Just came back from the range.    Zodia head glued this morning to the AAA 15 shaft...
Head is a bit heavy at 203g  and came out to 45.5" D5 but doesn't feel to heavy.
Had my Modart + 7D combo for comparison.

On my Yupitel  Modart / 7D was getting a pretty consistent 243 to 250 yards
Zodia 921 / AAA giving me 251 to 257  consistently.   Looks like the smash factor is higher more consistently with the Zodia... which could be interpreted as bigger sweetspot.   

Where have you been all this time??!!     What was I thinking trying to sell this head?!   definitely a keeper.

And I picked up a Zodia OZ 3W head just now.   So now I am set with the woods!!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:30:10 PM by nobwas »

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 06:12:01 PM »
Nobs I saw the  zodiac yesterday, and thought it looked kind of like a cross betwee nthe modart and the epon zero...  that epon had a sweet spot the size of a pee so  I was reticent to  go in on the  zodiac... u say this has a decent sweet spot , .. ok that  will  make me try this out.
roddio s tuning 10.75*--diamana x 70s
Solid contacts 13* fd--diamana stinger 70x
Prgr egg18*-- diamana stinger 70xx
Masda v2  MB---NS proto 2g18x ss
prgr nabla  tr 51+ 57---ns  Wv125s
No name dom. Proto Lob wizard wedge 60* ns950s
Benock mallet
TS x01-z/bridgestone330b

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 08:01:11 PM »
Yup ...  Zodia 921CC   ( "CC" to mean "Carbon Crown" and obviously not the size!! :)  )

Carbon Crown with SP700 face.    It has bit of a triangular shape at address.   
Face length toe to heel looks a bit long.    Nevertheless looks very sharp for a 460cc size head.
Compared to the original Epon Zero,  gobs more forgiving. 
And boy the sound and feel are just incredible!   

sounded like a whip crack:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aUMMcTEu4

I am not kidding.   Distance performance is impressive.
Also one of the strongest trajectory I have experienced in a while.   
I can see this driver will produce lots of roll in dry conditions.

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
Has anybody hit the Rogue FW?
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:17:14 PM »
Got to hit the Rogue fairways today indoors on a golf demo show. Little disclaimer, I twitched a muscle on the left side on the ribs a couple of days ago. Therefore, I’m not moving as fast nor as freely as I would like. Had some high expectations for the Rogue FW given my history with jailbreak. To make it short the fW did not live up to my expectations. I did not see any gains in ball speed comparing to the Epic FW that i hit side by side. It’s not bad, just nothing that made me go wow.  I was hitting it ok but not great. Seems I never hit it great indoors.
One thing I will say is that none of the shafts they had available were a good fit for me. The Aldila stock was too tip active. Even The PX Evenflow felt too active and felt crap. Did not like the overall balance of the club with the Evenflow. It was the 75 stiff and it was just too heavy. But it was still spinning too much. Was spinning it over 4K rpm on the 15*. They then handed me the Rogue SZ FW. Much better for me somehow but the Evenflow just wouldn’t work. Brought the spin down to around 3500 but it just didn’t feel right. The Rep handed me then an Epic SZ FW with a 65 Aldila Rogue Max. Much better for me. Seems that I fit into the mid 60s grams on the FW (which is also what I game). Similar numbers with the Epic SZ to the Rogue SZ but with less effort and more consistency.
As with the driver I find it quite funny that at my speed I always seem to have better numbers with the SZ version, which in theory should not be the better fit for me.
Would like to have another go outside with the Rogue SZ FW but with a better shaft for me. Couldn’t believe how bad of a fit the Evenflow was for me.
By the way, I hit the Rogue driver one time but even though the numbers were decent, I much prefer the feel of the Epic.
One thing to mention is that the had Ryoma present on the demo show. Hit the 9.5 Maxima Type D with the stock stiff shaft. High launch and ok ball speeds. Spin was slightly on the high side with 2900.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
Got to hit the Rogue fairways today indoors on a golf demo show. Little disclaimer, I twitched a muscle on the left side on the ribs a couple of days ago. Therefore, I’m not moving as fast nor as freely as I would like. Had some high expectations for the Rogue FW given my history with jailbreak. To make it short the fW did not live up to my expectations. I did not see any gains in ball speed comparing to the Epic FW that i hit side by side. It’s not bad, just nothing that made me go wow.  I was hitting it ok but not great. Seems I never hit it great indoors.
One thing I will say is that none of the shafts they had available were a good fit for me. The Aldila stock was too tip active. Even The PX Evenflow felt too active and felt crap. Did not like the overall balance of the club with the Evenflow. It was the 75 stiff and it was just too heavy. But it was still spinning too much. Was spinning it over 4K rpm on the 15*. They then handed me the Rogue SZ FW. Much better for me somehow but the Evenflow just wouldn’t work. Brought the spin down to around 3500 but it just didn’t feel right. The Rep handed me then an Epic SZ FW with a 65 Aldila Rogue Max. Much better for me. Seems that I fit into the mid 60s grams on the FW (which is also what I game). Similar numbers with the Epic SZ to the Rogue SZ but with less effort and more consistency.
As with the driver I find it quite funny that at my speed I always seem to have better numbers with the SZ version, which in theory should not be the better fit for me.
Would like to have another go outside with the Rogue SZ FW but with a better shaft for me. Couldn’t believe how bad of a fit the Evenflow was for me.
By the way, I hit the Rogue driver one time but even though the numbers were decent, I much prefer the feel of the Epic.
One thing to mention is that the had Ryoma present on the demo show. Hit the 9.5 Maxima Type D with the stock stiff shaft. High launch and ok ball speeds. Spin was slightly on the high side with 2900.

Nice write up shacco. The Aldila Rogue Max is a great fw shaft.
Driver: Callaway XR SZ 9.5* + Oban Kiyoshi 65 05, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + FEX 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + FEX 75 PROx, 41".
Irons: Srixon Z945 pw-8i/Z745 7i-4i + DG SL X100, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 53/58, Callaway V-Forged 64 + KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
I did have the Rogue max in the Epic driver and didn’t like it in the driver. In the FW it was better though.

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
I’m willing to bet a lot of guys will pair a Rogue shaft with a Rogue head just because they’re anal & think it’s cool to match... lol

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 01:10:33 AM »
Scored a brand new ladies model Rogue 3W 15 deg for 150 bucks!   
Immediately after I got it, I switched out the L flex Quaranta shaft with my beloved '13 Kurokage Proto TiNi 70 Stiff tipped 3/4" 
Took it out to the course and maaaaaaaannnnnnn...  this thing is amazing.    I hit a couple of shots really low on the face which resulted in a worm burner shot but the distance was only 5 yards off from my good shot that I hit from the same location.   
So easy to hit straight and though I don't know the actual distance I am getting ,  it looks longer than what I get from my G20 . 
The other thing that was amazing was the sound it produced outside.   Totally different from indoor sound.
It is exactly the sound that can be heard in this video    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8hqe83hps    the last shot of the video is the sound it produces.  Face is a bit deeper than I would prefer,  but it's not too bad.     Looks like G20 FW is going into retirement.....

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
Oh in case you are wondering,  I did confirm that the ladies Rogue FWY head and Men's models are identical including the headweight.
Ladies version is built to 42" instead of 43"  with lighter swing weight.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 01:26:33 AM »
Oh in case you are wondering,  I did confirm that the ladies Rogue FWY head and Men's models are identical including the headweight.
Ladies version is built to 42" instead of 43"  with lighter swing weight.

Now that is interesting
Driver: Callaway XR SZ 9.5* + Oban Kiyoshi 65 05, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + FEX 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + FEX 75 PROx, 41".
Irons: Srixon Z945 pw-8i/Z745 7i-4i + DG SL X100, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 53/58, Callaway V-Forged 64 + KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

magpies

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
any updates regarding the Rogue fairway woods? Thinking of getting 1.
Ping G400 (9°) - Kuro Kage XM 60r
Callaway Rogue (4W 17°, 7W 21°) - Kuro Kage XM 70s
Callaway Apex (4H 23°, 5H 26°) - Accra iCWT 85
Epon AF 303 (6-A) - Accra iCWT 95
Miura Wedge (Y54, C58) - Accra iCWT 105
Scotty Cameron Timeless