Author Topic: Farkin Golf  (Read 4230 times)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Farkin Golf
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
Every season this time of year my swing goes to complete crap and I can't figure out why. Come out of winter striking the ball well, nice flat swing, then by August with a ton of rounds under my belt I'm cutting across everything and struggling even though my scores have still been decent. Anyone else go through this?
Taylormade 16 M2 Tour Issue Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: Farkin Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »
I mean FFS I've been hitting irons half on and half off the grooves regularly
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:21:06 AM »
I have similar issues when I start playing well (for my standards  ;D ) for a stretch of time. I become quite confident but unfortunately I then tend to get sloppy on the real basics like set up, flat left wrist, etc. because I have been swinging well and I feel I can just go and hit at the freaggin' ball without paying attention to basics.
Just my experience.

Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Odyssey Milled Collection 6M

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
Going thru that right now,  Matt!

End of April,  I shot my best score ( first ever par round )  and then in June,  I started to struggle with every shot going left.  ( pull - draws and occasional hooks )  I noticed this using my Shinagawa blades and then after my game went so bad in Late July,  I started using the Mystery irons,  but the misses started to get even worse.

On the side, I recently started coaching my daughter since she wants to join the golf team next spring in high school,   
I started going over basic drills and also started using training aids.

Alignment sticks and impact stickers that go on the face of the club.    I originally did not plan on using these for myself but boy am I glad I did!

1. My alignment was somehow too much to the right of the target.  ( probably to compensate for the pull draws that I have been hitting )
2. Impact location especially on my irons were all on the toe side of the face.    ( explains why I was not getting that good solid feel of a forged iron! ) 
    Driver was not bad,   but my 3 wood and hybrid also suffered the same toe impact ( which also explains the severe duck hooks with hybrid on occasion )

What seems to have been happening is that because of my mis-alignment , I am likely coming across the swing path from out to in  ( other wise known as "coming over the top" )   and probably because of my desire to hit draw shots,  I was naturally closing the face at impact as well.     
This combination resulted in pulls and pull draws where the ball starts towards slightly left of the target and never start to the right of the target.

I do think the added offset on the Mystery GI irons exaggerated my issue and allowed me to step back and look at the fundamentals.

This week I have been focusing on hitting my scoring irons 8-PW and hitting it at the center of the face. 
Using an alignment stick and exaggerated flatter swing plane seem to help with getting a more inside out path and gets the ball where it is supposed to go.   
Also,  one more thing that might be as effective as the other two is to really slow down on my swing and even make half swings to make sure the ball starts to the target or slightly right of it. 

I am seeing improvement but probably need more time to get rid of these bad habits!!   

My learning so far.. I should use my alignment stick with every practice & I should stock up on those impact tapes :) 
I might invest in some tempo trainer as well.

DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
Biorhythms, sobriety, lessons/ changes are my major micro factors along with work stress, financial stress, sleep, wife stress, etc. being macro factors...golf is a funny game...that said I have seasonal performance cycles.

I seem to play better in December and January (reeling off sub 80 rounds at double the frequency than any other time of year). 

As nob said, lack of practice, attention to basicfundementals are factors.  The biggest factor though is my sobriety...my usga index has gone from a 7.8 in June to an 11.5 right now...I'm not sandbagging, just getting f'd up every time I play and start losing focus, coordination and caring...more interested in buffoonery and feeling good than going low...the up side is I'll make it to the second flight for the club championship in September!  Those guy suck and shit their pants on the back 9 on Sunday...the first flight guys have real game and crush me like a grape most days...

Matt, if you want to avoid the seasonal duldroms, get a regular practice schedule and use video, alignment rods, mirror work and then go out and play with only thoughts of the target...spend a good amount of time putting 100 straight 5 footers in a row with your head down always sets me right for events.  I may be a shitty golfer but I can get my game in shape for an event with practice, sleep and eating healthy...I just don't always care to do those things...good topic btw have been thing about that lately...
155/BasiAlpha60-x
Spoon15.6/RoddioF7-s
19/23 hybridUT/Lunar8/Stella8
505 5-P + 49 705 Muziik bangvoo-s
213 53/60/Muziik bangvoo-s
Oworks 2ball-spam
Titliest AVX

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 10:38:34 PM »
Good stuff here guys

Got a call to sub in Thursday league and went out tonight and had my worst 9 of the year. Maybe in 2-3 years. Struggled in literally every aspect of the game. Just supremely frustrating as I've put up 2 34s in the past 8 weeks which is the best I've ever shot in league.

I even shot a 73 in a money round last Sunday but felt like I spent all afternoon scrambling to save pars because of bad ball striking. And I have posted nothing over 40 since May until tonight which ballooned to a 45 after 3 jacking from 5 feet for 7 on the par 5 18th.

The ball striking has been tanking but short game was saving me until tonight when everything else went to shit too.

Will take some of these tips and hopefully get some practice time which is in short supply these days. I have an outing tomorrow afternoon that I'm dreading all of a sudden but maybe it'll help me straighten a few things out.
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

Stevopagolf

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:23:25 AM »
I played great late last year.  Killed it.  Flushed irons.  Putting OK.

All this year, I have struggled.  Busy with work, semi injuries (shoulder impingement) and lack of practice, my index is up 2 points.  Haven't broken 90 in 5 rounds and I am normally 82-85

I believe it is alignment and some swaying issues, not staying centered, but I will go see my Pro for a tune up soon.  I would suggest a quick look by someone you trust to see if your basic fundamentals are off....

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »
One more thing I remembered yesterday. 
Call me Mr. Miyagi or whatever :)   but this old Japanese Toy "Den-Den Daiko"  has really helped me visualize how my arms are supposed to act in a golf swing.    I completely forgot about it.      Did this at the range yesterday and everything went straight.   

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Try not to watch the whole thing .. but here is a 10 hr compiled version of a cut from Karate Kid II 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmZnzkyjvs

DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
Arms are ropes nobs!  When I have that and I'm turning my hip instead of sliding, dangerous...I can play with a sway if I'm playing/practicing 4 or 5 times a week but if not it's utter patheticism...esp if rhoudylax is involved...
155/BasiAlpha60-x
Spoon15.6/RoddioF7-s
Oworks 2ball-spam
Titliest AVX

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 12:51:04 AM »
One more thing I remembered yesterday. 
Call me Mr. Miyagi or whatever :)   but this old Japanese Toy "Den-Den Daiko"  has really helped me visualize how my arms are supposed to act in a golf swing.    I completely forgot about it.      Did this at the range yesterday and everything went straight.   

(Attachment Link)

Try not to watch the whole thing .. but here is a 10 hr compiled version of a cut from Karate Kid II 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmZnzkyjvs

Keep calm and wax on wax off...  ;D

Well played my round yesterday after my low round an doff blue.  Came in 79 due to a double in the 18th for a 7ft putt... Slight blemish but I'll take it.
Drivers : AbroadDF570-Crazy435-GTD455-GrandistaRS-D-Itobori-ModartDS-ProceedIX
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Modart-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
Yesterday I beaned a guy in the leg....today I had an hoi...
155/BasiAlpha60-x
Spoon15.6/RoddioF7-s
Oworks 2ball-spam
Titliest AVX

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • It's not how many BUT how Far!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
Congrats
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »
Fantastic Harry. Which made you feel good, nearly killing someone or the eagle?
Driver: TM M1 2017 10.5 + Accra 470 M5, 44".
FW: Cally GBB 17 + Accra FX200f, 41.5".
HY: Ping G20 20/23/27 + Accra FX200/300h, 39".
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - GW + Accra Tour 110i TiMesh.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 53/58 + Black Gold x.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 07:24:02 PM »
Woohoo!  Congrats on the hio and beaning the guy.  Hope you bought a nice celebratory meal for your witnessing flight mates.
Drivers : AbroadDF570-Crazy435-GTD455-GrandistaRS-D-Itobori-ModartDS-ProceedIX
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Modart-Orion
Putters : Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 08:00:39 PM »
Lmao!  Felt really bad for beaning the staniard (he's Jewish and his name is Stan).  He's a pretty old guy so I was worried I might have fractured a femor but he was good about it...he was walking 40 yards in front of me at a 45* angle so...still, that crazy hozel rocket coulda killed him...funny thing is he was real jealous of the HIO, he's never had one and he's a better golfer than me.  He was talking shit and beat me 2 ways after the turn...was giving me 2 a side even...

The HIO was definitely the highlight of my weekend!  So much fun!  Was still groggy from a bunch of cocktails the night before, no time for coffee, just rhoudylax on the way to #1 tee. Was in kind of a fog but playing well...tap in pars and bogeys until 5.  Nobody saw it down, pin was 12 yards from a front bunker w hole below the lip.  There was one 20 feet past and I thought I rolled out when I drove up, not me, thought maybe I helucinated a good shot so walked to. The bunker, not there...checked the hole and started yelling at the top of my lungs...fun it started  raining on 18, light refreshing rain and a lot of guy came in and chugged beer and did shots of patrone with me... Not gonna be too happy when I wake up tomorrow...

Life is good, wife isn't too cranky, work is puttering along and I have 28 days to get my game together for the club championship...I'm gonna try to stay sober and work out a little bit.  Need to get in better shape...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:09:47 PM by freehb »
155/BasiAlpha60-x
Spoon15.6/RoddioF7-s
Oworks 2ball-spam
Titliest AVX