Author Topic: PING G! going to give this a go!  (Read 9367 times)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: PING G! going to give this a go!
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
It'll work for some and not for others. Kinda like the Epic was a game changer for many and has sold very well, but I personally don't like it and I know others don't too.

I have never been a big Ping fan, briefly had a G30 a few years ago for a month or so and a G10 for a while back in 2009 or so. But as soon as they released info on these I was intrigued.

For me, has the looks, the sound and feel, technology, and the actual performance across several instances hitting it against other drivers. I also love the way it sits open at address and I pick up considerable clubhead speed with the stock stiff shaft without giving up any dispersion.
Ping G400 LS Tec UST Chrome
Ping G400 3 Wood UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

nobwas

• Super Ho
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
TM M1/M2 or Epic have never felt forgiving for me when I tried it.
Ping G400 does not disappoint when it comes to forgiveness. 

DR: G20 Black / TP-6 | MA01D+R / Seven Dreamers
FW: G20 Black / TP-8 | MA01F / BX70
UT: G / KBS Graphite | MA01H / STP
IR: J015CB / K's 8001 | Seven x Shinagawa MB / CBI-80 LTD
WG: MG S-01 / K's 8001 | Seven AG / Modus Wedge
PT: MGP-M2 | Benock Blue Dragon II

magpies

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2017, 11:49:01 PM »

Agreed.  Also, i feel that borrowing the club for on course demo is important. The epic as long as it is on a good hit but the forgiveness of the G400 won me over.
Ping G400 (9.6°)
Callaway XR Deep (14°)
Crazy CRZ-FTi (18.5°/21.5°)
PXG 0311X (5)
PXG 0311 (6-G)
Vokey Forged (58K)
SC Timeless

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • It's not how many BUT how Far!
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2017, 01:48:44 AM »

Agreed.  Also, i feel that borrowing the club for on course demo is important. The epic as long as it is on a good hit but the forgiveness of the G400 won me over.

Most important ... or at least on the Range for a few sessions!
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
Went today for a little USDM driver battle. Went into a store with indoor hitting bays with trackman. Hit several different drivers. Callaway Epic and Epic Sub Zero both in 9* and neutral and heavy weight back in the SZ and both with the standard HZRDUS green in stiff. Ping G400 standard in 10.5* with the stock Alta CB stiff (only option available unfortunately), Taylormade M1 in 9.5 neutral and weight forward with a HZRDUS yellow stiff and the Mizuno JPX900 with a Fujikura Speeder EvoII 661 stiff.
I will start by saying they did not have a tee height that i feel comfortable with. I hit up on driver and tee it up fairly high. Tee was too low for my liking. I believe it showed throughout the session. Felt on lots of strikes that I hit the ball lower on the face.
I started off with the standard Epic. Hit it quite ok but somehow I find something does not look quite right. The way it is shaped makes the face look small. Launch was good (around 16*) and smash factor was good, spin ok but slightly on the higher side. High 2k numbers. With my SS of around 97 mph I figured spind around 2500 rpm should be near optimum. The shaft I actually quite like for a stock offering. No idea what the specs are but it feels good to me. I also like the feel of the head. Some say it feels hard. I don't find this at all. I actually think it is quite soft. Somehow I think when people say hard they actually mean solid. That is at least what I feel. Super solid feel but soft at the same time.
Next up was the Ping G400. I came in really wanting to like it and was set to buy one in case it performed. Started hitting it and first thing I noticed is that it sits open at address. Lots of you guys like that but it feels to me that it is going right all day long. It actually doesn't really but it is somewhat discomforting to me. Launch was too high and I wasn't getting good ball speed. Spin was too high as well above 3k. SS was identical to the Epic. No gains there with the smaller head. Was spraying it left and right. Shaft felt actually ok but I seemed to be having problems timing it. Fitter also mentioned that the shaft might be causing some issues for me. Was really disappointed at this point. Best thing about it was its feel. Nothing to complain here.
Then I hit Epic Sub Zero. Oh boy, I instantly fell in love. It looks somehow a bit different to the standard Epic. Not much but somehow it makes it look different to my eye. A bit rounder which I prefer. Feel of this head is even more solid than the standard Epic. Was hitting it as straight as I have ever hit a driver. Launch around 15* spin came down below 2500 rpm. What impressed me the most was ball smash factor. Even on the worst hit I did not have a smash factor below 1.44. Highest smash factor was 1.52. Didn't even know that was possible.
I then tried the M1. Lower launch and super low spin. Many drives below 2000 rpm. Shaft felt very stout. Don't like the looks of the head and don't like the feel. Quickly proceeded to hit the Mizuno. Didn't even bother to look biênio was set up. This was the pleasant surprise. Launched slightly on the higher side with a ok spin around 2700 rpm. The blue head is nothing I could play though.
We then went back to the Ping G400 and turned it down to 9.5*. Not sure what happened there but that felt like a completely different driver. Spin came down to around 2600 rpm. Smash factor went up but did not quite reach Epic SZ levels but it was closer. Launch came down to around 16*. Much much better. That actually kept me wondering what could a 9* head do or possibly the LST version?
But the clear winner of this session was the Epic SZ. But I still can't pull the trigger because I would like to test the 9* standard and the LST.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:51:42 PM by Shacco »
Driver: Callaway Epic SZ / Ping G400 LST
3FW: JBeam BM Ti FW
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Oddysey Milled Collection 6M

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2017, 07:44:54 PM »
Got my LS G400 today and took the plastic off it at the tee box for a round at George Dunne National (blue tees) with Pervy John. All in all had a good day with it despite swinging like a donkey most of the day. Feels awesome. Does sit wide open. Mine is 8.5 I lofted it to the small + and then the big +. It makes a huge difference.

I liked it best at the small +. Bombed a few, had a few manageable misses.
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2017, 08:00:02 PM »
By the way Pervy beat me per usual, 77-82, 72.7/138 from the blue tees
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:08:46 PM by MBBG »
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

magpies

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »
The launch of ping g400  is very high. They said so themselves. Typical players using 10.5 will be going down 1 degree which helps to increase distance. Many pros are doing so. After my fitting I bought a 9 degree head lofted to 9.6 degree when I'm usually a 10.5 degree player.
Ping G400 (9.6°)
Callaway XR Deep (14°)
Crazy CRZ-FTi (18.5°/21.5°)
PXG 0311X (5)
PXG 0311 (6-G)
Vokey Forged (58K)
SC Timeless

nobwas

• Super Ho
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2017, 10:08:39 AM »
I have my 9 deg G400 standard set to 9deg and considering going down one notch to 8.4, 
and I am a 9.5 deg head user normally.  So I agree that G400 does seem to launch a deg or so higher than the said loft.

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2017, 04:55:55 PM »
Got my LS G400 today and took the plastic off it at the tee box for a round at George Dunne National (blue tees) with Pervy John. All in all had a good day with it despite swinging like a donkey most of the day. Feels awesome. Does sit wide open. Mine is 8.5 I lofted it to the small + and then the big +. It makes a huge difference.

I liked it best at the small +. Bombed a few, had a few manageable misses.

Lofting up should in theory close the face. Do you notice anything? This was one thing that bothered me slightly that the face sat open.

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2017, 10:12:17 PM »
I was surprised how much each adjustment closed the face. I had it at standard setting, it looked really open and I was hitting a sizable fade on the course.

So I switched it all the way to the highest setting (big +) and ball flight straightened out but was a bit higher than I wanted and I thought it sat a bit too closed. So then I moved it to the small + and it looks perfect to me. Just slightly open and I am getting the proper height on tee shots.

Even adjusted a bit closed and with the stock 55g CB stiff shaft, this club takes the left side out of play for me. Midway through our round I told John "I have to put a draw swing on it to hit a straight ball". But once I got the hang of it I was really hammering it on the back nine.

The backstory is that I have been playing my M1 440 with the HZRDUS Red because I was injured in an auto accident early this spring, so I went with a more tip active shaft to help me out.  (I've always played more tip stiff shafts in the past.) Now that my strength has returned, I've grown accustomed to holding off my hands a bit at impact to avoid big draws/hooks. Which I believe is part of the reason I spray the M1 like no driver I've played in years, and am now struggling with my ball striking of late throughout the entire bag as a result. I'm holding off and expecting the shaft to kick and do the work for me, but the only happens with the one tip active shaft in my bag.

The Ping forces me to make a concerted effort to come from the inside and properly release the club, more in line with drivers I have gravitated to in the past. I did a little range work after the round, focusing on tempo, path, and proper release, and things really seemed to straighten out, I hope it holds true next time I'm on the course.

The stock shaft is actually surprisingly stout too, which coupled with the open face is going to really throw some people for a loop considering the G series Ping drivers have always been known for their friendliness.
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »
Saw a chart somewhere with all the Ping shaft offerings. Alta CB was actually stouter than the tour shaft flex for flex. Thinking of going G400 LST 8.5 lofted up to 9.5 to close the face a bit. If only the Epic SZ didn't perform so well.

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2017, 08:38:27 AM »
Then get the SZ!! 😬
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

nobwas

• Super Ho
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »
During my fitting I really wanted to like the Alta shaft,  I mean looks alone with that trick paint job is so cool!!
Unfortunately spin numbers were not favorable for me .. had to go to the 8 deg setting to get decent spin numbers.
but at 8 deg, it just made it harder to consistently hit the ball straight.   Dispersion was not good either. 
For me the Tour shaft kept spin down to 2500 even at the 8.4 setting.    With the Fire Express I got around 2500 with the 9 deg setting and I get much tighter dispersion.   

95124hacker

• Junior Ho
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Does anyone know why Ping chose 0.6 degree increments whereas Callaway goes +2 to -1 by 1-deg, Cobra goes by 0.5, and TM goes +1.5 to -1.5?