Author Topic: PING G! going to give this a go!  (Read 11250 times)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: PING G! going to give this a go!
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:51 AM »
A few shops did get the LS Tec heads that weren't defective or whatever. I guess PGA SS has (had?) some in stock as well as other big retailers. Might call around and get lucky although I was plenty impressed with the spin numbers on the standard head.
Ping G400 LS Tec UST Chrome
Ping G400 3 Wood UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
I didn't want to deal with a possible recall or anything later.  I was a victim to that kind of thing when they messed up on their original Ketsch putter.     Earlier yesterday, I pulled my Fire Express 2014 Proto shaft from my Ping G20 head and put on a Ping G adapter so I can try it with the Standard head.    I got slightly lower spin numbers compared to the Tour shaft and better dispersion too.    After picking up the driver, I immediately headed to the usual range that I go to.    I can see that the ball is ending up at a higher point on the back net!!!     I am also really impressed with how much more forgiving this driver is compared to the previous G20.    Despite the size reduction,  it's as automatic a driver can be.     The new and improved sound just makes me want to hit this thing forever!!    Can't wait to use it at the Club Championship this weekend!   :-)
DR: G20 Black / TP-6 | MA01D+R / Seven Dreamers
FW: G20 Black / TP-8 | MA01F / BX70
UT: G / KBS Graphite | MA01H / STP
IR: J015CB / K's 8001 | Seven x Shinagawa MB / CBI-80 LTD
WG: MG S-01 / K's 8001 | Seven AG / Modus Wedge
PT: MGP-M2 | Benock Blue Dragon II

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
Gonna test this bad boy on Thursday. Will report after.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: JBeam BM Ti FW
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Oddysey Milled Collection 6M

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
Took the G400 / Fire Express Proto 2014 Ver.1  Combo out to the course for a quick 9.
This driver is really really forgiving!    Best shots came out with a mid to high trajectory with a baby draw and lots of roll ending up in previously unseen territory. 
Second shots on par 4 are at least 1 club shorter now.    Mis-hits low on the face does not lose much distance.    Overall very straight drives.
I was using B330S balls yesterday and the fee/sound at impact are very addicting!  Reminds me of the sound and feel of Titleist 913.
My best guess is that it uses SP700. 

95124hacker

• Junior Ho
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
So what new tech is in the G400 that makes it outperform M1/M2 and Epic GBB/SZ?

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »
Nothing new from a single technology perspective.
I think they were smart to combine very high MOI with a smaller head which contributes to added head speed.

Smaller faster head but with the same forgiveness as their 460cc offering.
Based on some review videos I found, I do believe the Epic still wins on ball speed.   but Epic is not as forgiving as the G400. 

For their next model,  they should further pursue maintaining high MOI in a sub 400cc head size!   
At one point,  I've clocked 115mph+ with my Tourstage 365cc head at 45" so I think there is definitely some benefit with smaller size.

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
M1 440 is a monster for me but just like the original M1 for some reason I am prone to big misses when compared to other drivers. My AF-105 is long but not as long as M1 but rarely do I have such big misses.

I tend to hook or have big blocks with both M1s I've had regardless of shaft. But when I'm swinging well it's untouchable. It just looks a bit closed to my eye is all. And if I crank face all the open then I hit low weak fades.

The Ping sets up perfect to my eye. I picked up swing speed and it feels awesome. Dispersion was excellent and my worst shots were much better than M1. Best shots were still a hair behind the M1 but overall more consistent. It's just a really good all around stick and that's why it's generating so much buzz.

I have hit the Epic a few times as well but just never a huge fan of Callaway woods. The shape is not bad but I thought they felt like of hard/dead which I assume has to do with the jailbreak technology.
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • It's not how many BUT how Far!
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
Well I went today to try the Ping....
First of all I HATE indoor Fitting bays... feel closed in!

Errrr yes it's a nice club, best feeling/sounding club I've hit from them... the Turdbulators didn't put my off as much as I thought..

BUT it just couldn't live with my SZ.
Period!...... although the G400 isn't as demanding
That said they didn't have many shafts, infact they only had 1!

I shall give this another go later once the knee as fully heeled !!!

One worthy mention was it stuck in the Tiled ceiling very well!!...SORRY!

On another note the M1 still killed both... but I hate the feeling!
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • Things are never as good or as bad as they seem...
    • CHIP400...drivers are for wussies...
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
I almost thought of giving usdm another go after reading this thread...nah....
155/Basileus Alpha 60s
Spoon/Cleek : Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybridUT : Roddio I7s
705 5-A : Muziik Bangvoo 90s
213 54/60 : Muziik Bangvoo 90s
SC Kombi S

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
I went to a fitting at golf galaxy today on GC2 and Ping InFlight. Took my Tour issue M1 and told them I wanted to match its distance but improve dispersion. Acted like I had no clue about anything out there.

We went through a bevy of head and shaft combos and ended up with the Titleist 917D2 and G400 LST as the best heads for me, lofted at 8.75 and 8.5, respectively. The dispersion was almost identical but there were about 5 more yards in the Ping for me.

The Epic does absolutely nothing for me. I don't like it at all. This is the third or fourth time I've hit it and the SZ and they just don't suit me at all.

What was crazy was that I started with the Tour 65 shaft in the Ping and then we went to the standard head and stock shaft and then back to the LS head with stock shaft. I picked up 7 (7!!!) mph of clubhead speed just from swapping the two shafts in and out of the LS head. Insane.

He said he might see 2-3 mph normally but not 7, but that's what happened and that's the only thing that changed. Same head but lighter counterbalanced shaft with another 1/2" of length. That translated to a lot of extra ball speed and dispersion actually improved too.

So after 2 long hours it was very clear to both the fitter and I that the G400 LS with the stock Alta CB stiff was the best combo. The 917D2 was a close second but gave up a few yards. That head also feels and sounds very good.

Looks like I'll be putting the LS/Alta combo in the bag as soon as I can get my hands on one which should be Monday thanks to Pervy John.
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

Shacco

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2017, 09:29:07 AM »
Hit the G400 range yesterday. Seems like whenever I want to try new USDM stuff I have a real bad golfing day. Been working on driver and it paid of so far but yesterday somehow I got stuck in between new and old swing. Terrible. Couldn't really judge what the driver is capable of. One thing I will say though is that it feels quite good and I like the looks of it. Seems to be very forgiving. Hit all 3 versions. Didn't really notice a lot of difference between the standard model and SFT to be honest. LST was a bit more difficult to turn over.
Will need to try them again when I am hitting better.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: JBeam BM Ti FW
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60 Edel DGR
Putter: Oddysey Milled Collection 6M

akapur

• Super Ho
  • Looking forward to 2016
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
I took out the new G400 with stock stiff Alta shaft out for nine holes today. This was a demo club. My current gamer is the 8.5 degree
2017 M1 with Atmos 6S shaft.  Short review:
Ping has a better feel and sound. Much more satisfying then the M1
The Ping is WAY more forgiving. Worst hit was a slight Pull. All others the ball went exactly where i was aiming. The M1 is a consistent driver for me, my miss is a pull left that can get me into trouble from time to time. The Ping is very east to hit
The M1 is at least 10 yards longer. The Ping is no slouch but can't keep up with a really good strike with the M1.

I like the look of the M1 but this is more of a individual thing.
If i was in the market for a new driver and wanted a point and shoot driver the Ping G400 would be the one

My son also played with this club today. His gamer is a Ping G Tour Stiff 9 degree
He found the combo to be a higher ball flight then his gamer. After two holes he turned down the loft and found the correct ball flight for him. On a short par four at our club Nik hit the G400( this is not recommended as the hole goes from left to right with several bunkers guarding the green) he landed just in front with a great cut. He has tried this with the G several times this year and always ended up in trouble. He felt very confident with the G400.  Tomorrow he is scheduled to meet with the Ping rep to get fitted. Before today's test round he was not interested in changing as he drives the ball beautifully with the G, but the G400 won him over today.
So I think the G400 is  a winner
Taylormade M1 440 Atmos Stiff Blue shaft
2011 PRGR Egg with Rogue Black Stiff
Glorious 5W with Rogue Stiff
4PW PXG Dark with Modus 120S
Crazy Regensis 52/58 with Crazy Graphite
Bradley Putters Custom Putter

magpies

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2017, 05:29:14 AM »
demo-ed it today. No need any launch monitor. Bought it instantly. The consistency is good, distance is good too.
Ping G400 (9.6) / Kuro Kage XM 60r
PXG 0341X (18/21) / Kuro Kage XM 70s
undecided.
Vokey Forged (58K)
SC Timeless

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
demo-ed it today. No need any launch monitor. Bought it instantly. The consistency is good, distance is good too.
Sold as seen. I like it.
Driver: Callaway GBB 8* + Rogue Max LL 65x, 44".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + Rogue Max ML 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + Rogue Max ML 85x, 41".
Irons: Taylormade P730/P770 + KBS $-Taper stiff HSx1.
Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind 52/56/60 + KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

95124hacker

• Junior Ho
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »
So didn't I read similar hype for the Epic drivers just a few months ago? In the US, the hype has died down after the first few months and some have sold them for M1/M2. I wonder if this G400 hype is similar or the real deal. Time will tell. For me, the '17 M2 (version 2, "K") solves a lot of my driving issues. I'm tired of chasing short-lived driver hype. This coming from a self-proclaimed club ho.