Author Topic: Iron number vs Loft?  (Read 1419 times)

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
Iron number vs Loft?
« on: January 27, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »
Just a quick one here...
But if one purchases a set of irons, say 5-AW with weak lofts?( i.e. 5 iron with 4 iron loft) would you install 4-PW shafts but in 5 to AW??
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

db2

• Fledgling Ho
Re: Iron number vs Loft?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
A five iron with the loft of a four iron is a strongly lofted five iron.  If it were me, I would use the four iron shaft and cut it so that it plays to the same length as a four iron. 

HisAirness

• Fledgling Ho
    • DerGolfmeister
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
Don't forget the head weight. If you put in a 4i shaft in a 5i head you soft step the shaft.

I see the strong lofts this way: compared to the loft you use a slightly shorter shaft than in a "traditional" lofted iron with the same number on the sole. That can help gain control especially in the longer irons. As long as you can control the club, get a good apex in your ball flight and a steep enough angle of descent every thing is fine with the number on the club. If you need an extra gap wedge due to the stronger lofts and you're going to use it mainly as a full swing club you should get a club with the same shaft and same swing weight as the rest of the iron set.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »
Nailed it airness...at least that's what I've come to think through trial and error of hard/soft stepping /hoing/ trying new stuff all the time...For me it's about matching length with loft and then finding a flex that works...for the strong lofted heads I like to play 5i 1/4" longer than say 5i that's 3 degrees weaker loft while normally my gaps between clubs are 1/2".  Not sure how or what he does but the builder I go to now is able to make shafts play a little firmer or softer if I request it. 

Some people get freaked out about swing weight but for me, I don't mind different swing weights as long as the flex is good (e.g. I can load the shaft w/o it completely bending) and the length is what I'm used to given the loft.

Quite honestly, it's nice to get a set completely dialed in but it doesn't affect my scores much if it's not...Indian v Arrow kinda thing but still, we're a picky breed by nature and things just gotta be right...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:19:53 PM by freehb »
11.2*155/Basileus Alpha 60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.3cleek/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
2balSPAM
Titliest AVX

db2

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:04:13 PM »
Although it may seem to contradict my first post, I'm definitely on board with shorter lengths in the long irons.  I play my 28* at 37 3/4" with 3/8" in between clubs, so my 20* is at 38 1/2".  I went with shorter lengths in order to hit the sweet spot, or near it, more consistently.  It works.