Author Topic: Road to Improvement  (Read 1434 times)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Road to Improvement
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:22:51 PM »

Made some big strides this year and as the season wraps up I'm feeling pretty good about the improvements I've made this year. Finished at my lowest 9 hole league HC ever and actually finished within a few tenths of it  in the Thursday league I sub in 15 or so times a season. Which makes me happy about the consistency across 2 separate leagues on different nights with different playing partners and conditions.

Part of it is having some one-off type equipment that is set up perfect for me and my swing type based on what I've learned from years of ho'ing and testing. Manages my misses really well and I seem to just hit the ball better overall with fewer misses. Going back to steel in the irons and wedges has helped a ton too. Way more birdie opportunities and fewer scrambles for par.

The other thing is that I really started playing smarter. Don't care what iron the other guy is hitting into a Par 3 green into a stiff breeze, I quietly take 2 extra and cut a half swing laser through the wind. Just being super honest about how far I actually hit each club, knowing which holes play longer and shorter, thinking more about where to put a drive versus just trying to hit the fairway have all helped.

And one HUGE thing. Not going out and beating balls until I was exhausted and pissed off. I get a small bucket, warm up for a few shots each with wedges, 7i, and driver, and "play the course" on the range, in my mind. That works out to around 30 full swings with some space between them and a full pre shot routine. I've then spent the extra time practicing my short game more.

What are you guys doing that's helping your games progress?
Ping G400 LS Tec UST Chrome
Ping G400 3 Wood UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

wardhr

• Fledgling Ho
Re: Road to Improvement
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:47:29 PM »
good points, M !
How do you effectively practice putting ?
I mostly play on weekends and at different courses with different green varieties, slope, grass, speed, and so on.
So it is quite a challenge to score well on the putting side  ::)

thanks

95124hacker

• Super Ho
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »
Interested to hear what others have to say too.

For me, truthfully, it's been an up & down year. Hit my all-time low index around June/July but crept back up to what it was at beginning of this year.

Total driving is still my Achilles heel, and recently my putting has been occasionally yippie. Biggest improvement is my iron game. Even enough where I can play blades with little difference on score.

Took 4x 1:1 lessons and learned a few things. Part of my inconsistency comes from playing too many sets of clubs, which gives me a different type of enjoyment other than scoring.

Realized I don't have the mental strength to play well in tournaments. My best finish was 2nd low net. Often one of the worst in my flight. Argghh!

freehb

• Ultra Ho
  • left shoulder right foot, right shoulder work down
    • CHIP400...drivers are for wussies...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
Lessons have helped me. My whole game is better than it's ever been.  Have had a lowish handicap this year (lowest was mid 7, high 9.8) but that's still a point higher than my all time low, however, I know my game is better now because I'm playing better in events and money matches than I do in casual rounds and that's never been the case before.  Won the 2nd flight gross and net in the club championship and never finished higher than middle of the pack in the 3rd flight before.  Also had strong performances in the Matchplay and a 3rd in the flag tournament.  Short game is the answer for me still and I was worried going back to traditional putting which occupied most of my early season practice.  I do a few different drills drills when I have time (e.g. Make 20 straight 6 foot straight putts in a row) but mostly just mess around trying to execute different shots.  I live on a golf course so get a lot of "small scale practice" in...e.g. I'll hit 6-10 shots when I take the dog out for his run/walk or putt for 15 mins while my kid is at soccer practice...

Below is what I've been working on:

Putting:
1 head down listen for it to drop
2 controlling distance with the length of my takeaway

Chipping:
only practicing keeping head down and feeling the distance...happy with this part of my game

Full swing:
1 Focusing on more rotation and not swaying off the ball
2 closed to the target more on setup
3 tempo and balance
155/Basileus Alpha 60s
Spoon/Cleek : Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybridUT : Roddio I7s
705 5-A : Muziik Bangvoo 90s
213 54/60 : Muziik Bangvoo 90s
SC Kombi S

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
And just like that I went and shot my worst round of the year. Granted tough track (73/136 playing at 6700y, 92 huge bunkers, enormous greens, etc) but I brought my absolute F swing.

Did the replay for $16 (which is an amazing deal) and shot 6 strokes better the second time around, which was still only one stroke better than my previous worst round of the year!
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
I'm back to lessons.  We got a new teaching pro that has helped a lot of guys.  I'm through the significant events so I started going a month ago.  Just had 4th lesson.  Have never been more optimistic about my game.

He teaches the modern golf swing.  The 9 positions, turn the left shoulder down, cover with the right shoulder.  Pretty big departure for me as I've been down a more classical path e.g. Shawn Clements.  I did a lot of mirror work the first couple weeks, have finally gotten rid of the slide, hitting it a club farther.

Funny thing is I can bring it to the course.  Low net in the men's game last Saturday with a 79...hcap is going down.  Still some inconsistency and some awkwardness but my gosh, watching my swing on video it looks so much better.

I think finding a good teacher is the key, this guy explains things in ways that make sense to me.
155/Basileus Alpha 60s
SC Kombi S

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 09:55:48 AM »
Thatís awesome hope it sticks!
Srixon U45 Aero i95
Epon 705 Aero i110
Callaway PM 60*

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • It's not how many BUT how Far!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
Yes key is to understand whatís been shown!!
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
This is my road to improvement.....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Driver: Callaway XR SZ 9.5* + Oban Kiyoshi 65 05, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + FEX 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + FEX 75 PROx, 41".
Irons: Srixon Z945 pw-8i/Z745 7i-4i + DG SL X100, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 53/58, Callaway V-Forged 64 + KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 11:21:11 PM »
Haha, tmags version of the pxg...
155/Basileus Alpha 60s
SC Kombi S

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »

You know you love them 😍
Driver: Callaway XR SZ 9.5* + Oban Kiyoshi 65 05, 45".
FW: Callaway GBB 16* + FEX 75x, 42".
FW: Callaway GBB 21* + FEX 75 PROx, 41".
Irons: Srixon Z945 pw-8i/Z745 7i-4i + DG SL X100, Superstroke.
Wedges: Miura Giken WMF-06 53/58, Callaway V-Forged 64 + KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff.
Putter: Rife Barbados.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »

You know you love them 😍

Very nice!

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case

Mjr. D

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 05:12:13 PM »
Congrats man, nice job. I agree. Two ways to play better without practicing is to make sure you're properly fit and play smarter. After that, it's all about the swing and practice.

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »
The more I play the more I realize how unimportant gear is in relation to playing well.  I don't disagree that quality gear that fits your swing, playing style and tastes won't improve your performance but it's really the smallest comtributor to overall performance...miles behind technique and feel.  Right behind technique and feel is mental game (e.g. Staying present focused, planning smart and maintaining a consistent, target focused routine...I also include managing nerves as part of the mental game).  The next highest contributor to overall performance in my opinion is fitness/flexibility/strength.  After that...immeasurably far behind the top 2 and ignificantly behind the fitness category is gear....

Gear seems to help more with my mental game than anything else...I have more enthusiasm, more confidence, play and practice more when I have cool gear that I love but the difference between high end, perfectly fit gear and a bag of average or even crappy gear is maybe 2 strokes...tops...the difference between a $5k set and a $1k set?  Maybe...MAYBE a stroke...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:25:15 PM by freehb »
155/Basileus Alpha 60s
SC Kombi S

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »
The more I play the more I realize how unimportant gear is in relation to playing well.  I don't disagree that quality gear that fits your swing, playing style and tastes won't improve your performance but it's really the smallest comtributor to overall performance...miles behind technique and feel.  Right behind technique and feel is mental game (e.g. Staying present focused, planning smart and maintaining a consistent, target focused routine...I also include managing nerves as part of the mental game).  The next highest contributor to overall performance in my opinion is fitness/flexibility/strength.  After that...immeasurably far behind the top 2 and ignificantly behind the fitness category is gear....

Gear seems to help more with my mental game than anything else...I have more enthusiasm, more confidence, play and practice more when I have cool gear that I love but the difference between high end, perfectly fit gear and a bag of average or even crappy gear is maybe 2 strokes...tops...the difference between a $5k set and a $1k set?  Maybe...MAYBE a stroke...
Or 4k

"Strength And Honor "

I got a Gibson
Without a case