Author Topic: Driver Shelf Life  (Read 2534 times)

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Driver Shelf Life
« on: September 22, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »
I try a ton of drivers, but when I get a driver that really is good for me it seems like for about 3 months or so I have great results with it. Then gradually I start playing worse and worse with it over time and lose confidence in a club that was like magic to me at one time.

I'll start tinkering and find something that really works and then it's the same process all over again. Sound familiar to anyone?
S Yard T.388 Kuro Kage XM 70x
TaylorMade Original One 13.5* HZRDUS Green
Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage XM 80x
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3-6 MP-20 Blade 7-P DG AMT
Mizuno T20 50 and 55 S400 TI
Callaway PM Grind 60
PXG Operator LTD Edition “Darkness”

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: Driver Shelf Life
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
I'd love mine to work for 3 days let alone 3 months!
Driver: TM Original One 11.5° + Tensei CK Pro Blue 80tx.
HY: Ping G400 17° + Oban White 95x.
DI:  Epon 903 20 & 23 + OTi120x
Irons: Epon AF-Tour MB 5i - PW + OTi120x
Wedges: Epon 208 KGX 53°/59° + OTi110x.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Staxxx

• Junior Ho
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »
Hehe Matt....when it comes to drivers I think about one month is the limit for me !!
But I find that spending some time on getting the best shaft and head combo really pays dividends. That is why I keep a precious cache of shafts in my favorite flex with me for all occasions.

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »
nope........ when I build one that is great I bench it and try builkd one that is better and end up with 20 outrqageous drivers that ar eall perfect for me

how fk up is that.

crazy stinger 70x
crazy  diamana X
egg alisilei
callaway erc 3 diamana B
kasco diamana X
tm burner tp bimatrix.
astro tour stinger
roddio diamana x
egg stinger
ryoma p9003x

all of these are 100% perfect for my game.
but they are  all sitting in diff bags waiting to get game time  that doesn't come anymore

3 months  ?
I might have a cpl that I wont hit for 6-12 !

fwiw. the calalwayer c 3  with diamana B is as good  as all  the others easily.

that's 8 yrs old now.

3 months is nothing

astro tourv3 10*// quadra fire express prototype 2016
prgr egg spoon15*//roddio tour only  bee71x
fourteen tw u 21*//diamanana stinger 70x
masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
prgr nabla id 52*. NS WV125s Yamaha raw black  56*....NS wv 125s
fourteen mt 28 60*....NS 950s
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »
I'm the Same!
I've put it down to been overly comfortable with it, then I tend to swing my Tits off, forget all that I know and try and smack it out of Sight!!

I'll do a post on this Soon!!!

Can a Driver be To Long?

.... Uh oh time for a Cohiba!
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

Rest in Peace “Mi Amigo”

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 08:57:10 PM »
I do think there's something to it where at the beginning it looks new and you focus on it a lot more and put a good swing on it. Over time you gain confidence and start swinging harder and harder.

Stew is probably onto something by constantly rotating clubs in and out, forces you to stay sharper and more focused providing you're one of these people that gets "stale" with a club over time.

Putters are the craziest thing for me. I'll be red hot with a new putter and eventually lose my feel for it. Swapping them in and out occasionally seems to help with this.
Callaway PM Grind 60

Sanader

• Junior Ho
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:08:16 PM »
Had the same problem. This is the reason I clutch to my PING G25 Driver.

Used the G20 Driver for quite a long time and I was always confident of the tee. Than came the odysee through JDM drivers. Kept changing them on monthly basis. Lost all confidence to the point that I dreaded the walk towards the tee.

But now again my first look when I enter a shop is the Driver section. And several of them are getting my attention. It's just a matter of time till all starts again...

kl

• Super Ho
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
I'm starting to become convinced that the key to my game is disciplining my backswing.  When I get overconfident, my backswing lengthens and I lose my swing even though I don't FEEL like I've changed anything. Then, I start tinkering...

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 11:06:18 PM »
Haha K that's pretty much my problem, backswing gets too long and it's over
Callaway PM Grind 60

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 11:26:41 PM »
ok..........,
so , why do we  buy so many  new drivers  ?

there is no added distance u can get, its  capped as we all know that
 even tho  TM sys we can get 1200 more yards every 7 years.  its simply  b.shiiiit
 I get  them bec I like looking at new lines.
new feel.  its the new toy enjoyment factor. hardly performance enhanced

I do need more than 1 driver bec of the   diverse nature and range of  courses I play  form long and lush to short , tight and fast. having the egg at my hometrak  in the mountains with uber soft grass with  no roll is tatamount to insanity . like wise  not having  it at the  ocean course with dry wind blown grass is stupid, I get about 20 more yards  with the roll nad the  flat  trajectory  makes it much easier not to loose it ob   laterally with the amount of wind that hits the joint it makes sense to limit  potential disasaters by keeping it tight and low.
I  do also like  having an uber bomber , by that I mean something I can open the shoulders and get it  long   but not really looking at control ,   a cpl of tracks have fairways like  A380  runways   so  I want a driver I can really  get into an not worry too much about where it  goes so long as its long all the time . the astro tour fits that bill perfectly. so to the jbeam 435 stinger. at d6ish , thisn gets sturned over a wee buit too much  for my general lik,ing but when ive got a bit of room , this gets out there consistantly.left nad long.

I also need a short tight  heavy one  for the sneaky pete dye  tracks where 1 mm left or  right  is ob.
120 per round is par.!!  well not really but u get t he point.
 the  Tm tp bimatirx will NOT move laterally what so ever, its lo its unnervingly str8 and hits fairways with  uncanny regularity  just not a long way down the path.

then theres driver s like the ajappa,  the shingo 358,  the callaway erc 3 , the epon  101s..
 that I just love to play bec they are great to hit and just feel good. obv there no worse on them but they are non specific drivers that I like to play when theres no accountability  when im playing a "few BALls"  PER HOLE.

actually if I had to have just one all round driver for  everything, I think id be hard presed to not have the callawayerc 3 diamana as the  one. id prob swap the shaft to the stinger. but I don't think I can  beat than all things being equal. the feel is ENDO japan,  its long, its mid glhted and its got a big friendly face, rounded head fdor  ease of  movement when required..
 huh
 think I just talked my self INTO  this.....again..!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:36:02 PM by tsupo67 »
masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 06:24:09 AM »
I'm starting to become convinced that the key to my game is disciplining my backswing.  When I get overconfident, my backswing lengthens and I lose my swing even though I don't FEEL like I've changed anything. Then, I start tinkering...

I'm thinking in similar dimensions here.
Whenever I start playing well, I have a stretch where I play decent golf. I get all the confidence in the world and before I know it, all of a sudden out of nowhere, I can't hit the ball solid anymore. Unfortunately, my "automatic" natural swing is so bad that when I don't pay attention to how I swing, things go bad.  And that usually happens after I start playing well for a while because I start feeling so confident that I start not paying attention to my swing anymore and the motion goes back to my "automatic" mode, which is really bad  :-[ And that is valid for my complete bag, not only limited to driver. 
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

kl

• Super Ho
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 11:16:27 AM »
I'm driving the ball better and longer than ever this whole year and the thing that's been consistent is the shorter/disciplined back swing.  Once I get the same with the irons, I might have something, especially now that my putting has gotten decent. 🤔

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 01:43:25 AM »
well.....................

14 days of  wind /weather and blunder bust golf (and a disappearing  up its own aRRIS hcap ) I didn't  shoot more than 31 points all  holiday!!!!!!
 HAS  lead me to one quite annoying realization,  MY    most consistent driver  combo was

fk this pains me to say this..................,

The t...t..t..t..t.t..t.taylor m.m.m.m.m..made  Tp 9.5*  burner  triangle shaped head   from 2009 ish.. with bimatrix  X  in blue.

it plays no more than 44.5 inch, I don't think its even that long  actually  and to my surprise its no slouch.. its def not  whjat id call long... but its as consistent as ive ever hit  anything  and its as  long as my fairway driver  plus just a  bit ,  so it did me to no end on  my short home track.

I cud lie and  say any of  the other 12  drivers I took with me were  better , but simply put in horrid condtions  it was an obvious  choice.

the damn thing   cudnt have cost me  more 250 bucks  to  buy source  rebuild  compared to some of my ubbreshlokens at  a billion  times that  , im not kidding that bimatrix  thing  is a  bloody good  shaft .

its just so damn straight , if u play wind fellas,, invest in one u will not be  disssapointed .
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:52:08 AM by tsupo67 »
masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »
I don't get the whole "degredation" thing...I think it's in all your crazy heads...

I occassionally go back to old gamers for fun but I pretty much always have one gamer...I have a couple old gamers that go higher or lower but once I settle on either a driver or a putter it's usually in my bag 95% of the time for 3-5 years...same with wedges...sometimes with fwys depending on the fwy...I have consistently purchased gamer irons almost every year with the exception of the 302s...I think the 705s may last a while though...only irons I care to play are 705, P3 and 302...in that order...will definitely get a new driver this year...currently back with the 153 after using the 904d on and off for a couple years...it's really been btw those 2, 103 lasted 3 years and before that the nanov 430 lasted 3 years...
12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
Q,R,S,T Roddio-wedge/Lunar9
EXO odyssey
AVX

spoon

• Always Ho'ing crew
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Always hoing around.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »
Ha my 2001 Yamaha 405D just can't be kicked out of my bag
It's my current gamer. It knocked out everything I've tried! I've tried plenty in the last month
Ping g400 FEX65S
Gfield 4w Fex 65s
Epon 901 19* Crazy CBI 80s
Epon 901 22* Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 6-pw Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 Aw Diamana OT 105s,  TW /54/58
G-filed Leap M