Author Topic: Taylormade 300 Driver tour model  (Read 2936 times)

• Junior Ho
  • A duck hook can be your friend
Taylormade 300 Driver tour model
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:54:05 AM »
If you can find one buy it, it will be longer than your current driver. No bigger than today's 3 woods and non conforming but.................wow. These went for more money than JDM, heads.

I hit one the same time, I was testing the JBeam ZY-7 and GP OM D63, guess which one was longer, yes the 300 and this club is umpteen years old. Not to be used on course but shows you that head design has not really improved distance wise. Makes you wonder how far we would be hitting drivers if the regulations did not come into force.

unclej

• Platinum Ho
Re: Taylormade 300 Driver tour model
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:08:52 AM »
I've said a 100 times that .83cor is .83cor.  Changing materials etc.etc. cannot change that which is why all this added distance folks claim is just not the case. It will make a difference in feel, sound and what works better for you but can't change the rebound off the face.

Add a longer shaft, different shaft materials, PROPERLY FIT is the only way you're going to get more distance.  IMO added distance now comes from the best shaft for you.

Or find a non conforming driver....

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
Not sure if you measured your head speed with this .. but my experience has been smaller the head faster the speed.

DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

• Junior Ho
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
Not sure if you measured your head speed with this .. but my experience has been smaller the head faster the speed.

No head speed as, I was only hitting it for a laugh, the shaft was an XT, which is punching above my weight. It was a good few yards longer not huge but noticeable on the ball trace.

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 02:29:53 PM »
The other thing with smaller heads is that they usually feel and sound phenomenal!!
Much more solid feeling.   
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:38:45 AM »
I've said a 100 times that .83cor is .83cor.  Changing materials etc.etc. cannot change that which is why all this added distance folks claim is just not the case. It will make a difference in feel, sound and what works better for you but can't change the rebound off the face.

Add a longer shaft, different shaft materials, PROPERLY FIT is the only way you're going to get more distance.  IMO added distance now comes from the best shaft for you.

Or find a non conforming driver....

To add to this excellent post, I believe one of the selling points of various materials isn't necessarily COR, but the CT measurement. From what I understand, certain materials are more given to maximizing both COR (.830) and CT (257 ms) and doing it across a larger portion of the face through modern cup faced designs, variable face thickness, etc.

The CT limit is technically 239ms but allows for an 18ms tolerance meaning 257 is still legal. So from what I understand a driver can be .830 COR but only 239ms CT but another driver can be that same .830 COR and 257ms. The second driver would have a higher SLE (spring like effect) and all else being equal should be the "hotter" club. In the same vein, a well design variable thickness cup face with a 257 CT and .830 COR will likely have consistently higher SLE across larger portions of the face than a 239ms club with .830 COR with an insert face.

Obviously if one always hits the sweet spot that wouldn't matter. But for the rest of us it certainly would. But even for those who always hit the center the 257ms head should be longer than the 239ms head. And I'm sure a ton of retail heads done even sniff the 239ms mark let alone 257ms.

It's been posited that DAT55 material and some others help manufacturers maximize COR and CT measurements. And many of them are also VFT cup designs that further expand the high rebound area making them more forgiving as well. I have no idea if the material part is true but I have seen it included in the marketing material for several JDM club makers.

And shafts are a huge part. When you boil it all down, what a person has to do is maximize their launch conditions and have a club head and shaft combo that manages their misses well. For each person there is probably a 5 or 10 year old driver that's been made out there that would be just as good as anything that will be released in 2016. You gotta get the CG right, the face hot in the right places, the right FA, a shaft that suits, the right length, loft, etc. But no one really wants to go digging through a bunch of beat up 2007 clubs to find their Grail, it's more fun to buy the latest and greatest! Which is how cats get fat, but that's another story.

Xxio

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »
Why would it be non conforming?

The R300Tour,which I had 3 off and was truly long, is non conforming because it was .86 CoR.

The 300 Tour I think is conforming it got a bit of play on the PGA Tour which has always had CoR at .83.

The reason why the 300 Tour and R300 Tours were long because of the lower spin while maintaining launch...thus the high launch-low spin boom.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:16:52 AM by Xxio »

• Junior Ho
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:42:38 PM »
It was an R series, which were as you said are non conforming.

Xxio

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
So all things equal it should have been longer on solid/sweetspot shots since its CoR is .86 vs the others .83.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »
Apart from cc's, are there any other physical differences between the 300/320/360?