Author Topic: GP One minute D63 v Jbeam ZY-7  (Read 4088 times)

• Junior Ho
  • A duck hook can be your friend
GP One minute D63 v Jbeam ZY-7
« on: July 19, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »
Sorry, no photos as both clubs are with fitter.

The GP, has the kurokage TiNi, 70G stiff shaft. The ZY-7 will have the same shaft installed to the same spec. Which one will win the battle of the low spinners. Tune in Thursday evening for the live result.

Preliminary thoughts; My money is on the GP.  The ZY-7 has an almost curved face with a bulbous chin, looking down on the head it was hard to see a straight edge. The GP, is more conventional in looks and has a far deeper face and body being the full 460cc to the JBeam 445cc. Both are 10.5 and the Jbeam is .75 open to the square face of the GP, trying to measure the face angle was nigh impossible on the ZY-7 because of the curvature.

Having spoken to Dale, I will most probably change the shaft on the ZY-7 but the trackman results will reveal all.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
Re: GP One minute D63 v Jbeam ZY-7
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
Interesting Race!!

I have to say
, the ZY is a funny animal... Mine is 1* open but in all honesty I looks very closed!

All I see is left left left.....

Can't wait for the Results .....

If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

Rest in Peace “Mi Amigo”

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »
I need to swing it
Driver/FW: Ping Rapture 12.5° + PWR75 ts.
HY: Ping G400 17° + Oban White x
Irons: Titleist VG3 Forged 4i - PW + Recoil F5
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Forged 50 + Recoil F5
Wedges: Callaway PM19 54°/58° + Recoil proto.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX

Mjr. D

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:36:06 PM »
There's a driver out there that is lower spin than the ZY-11??  Incredible!  Lowest spinners I've ever used are the TM SLDR 430, Crazy 435 and the ZY-11. ZY-11 is the lowest.  This should be interesting!

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
100, have you tried the Zy-11?  Just wondering if the d63 has a deeper face than the zy11.
Drivers : AbroadDF570BAngel-Crazy435Angel5-DesignTuningIDVTK03-GTD455Crazy9Dia-Itobori7D
UTs : A-GrindBX-H-Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi
Irons : GrindStudio-Itobori-PXG0
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Artisan-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

• Junior Ho
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 12:18:42 AM »
100, have you tried the Zy-11?  Just wondering if the d63 has a deeper face than the zy11.

Sorry, never hit the ZY-11 and to be honest have never really had much luck with JBeam drivers as a whole but the design of the ZY-7 caught my attention.

Forgot to mention that a Callaway Sub Zero,  will also be included which is one if not the most lowest spinning USDM heads.

Staxxx

• Junior Ho
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
I never got on well at all with JBeam drivers, but the ZY-7 is very very nice sounding and feeling at impact. It has a powerful muted sound that impresses all my fellow players. I find it low spin but have now worked out how to launch it high enough. I am not sure my standard 7D shaft is a good match for it, although it looks the bomb. I think I will hunt around for a distance shaft for fun and let this one go. Haven't missed a fairway in two weeks....that's a nice feeling!

• Junior Ho
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:01:26 PM »
THE Jbeam ZY-7 is an excellent head but compared to the GP OM D63, it is no better or no worse. The sound is louder than, I am used to so my fitter suggested a bit of hot melt to quieten it down, I have heard if you loosen the screws by a turn or two the effect will be the same. The novel approach to altering the position of the screws to bring the spin up or down is very easy and works. As stated previously the face can look either open or closed depending where you look so this may not suit everyone's eye. Distance, no real difference, spin, slightly lower on the D63. This is the best Jbeam, head, I have hit. One tip is to tee it up high, definitely makes a difference.

These are two great drivers. On course test to follow.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »
Nice findings..

I shall post my review over the weekend!

If I can get my head round the super closed look at address!!

Rest in Peace “Mi Amigo”

I got a Gibson
Without a case

• Junior Ho
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 05:45:35 AM »
Range Review; using both range balls, Pro V1's and a few PHYZ's

Although my fitter applied some hot melt to the face the sound of the ZY-7, is still not the most pleasant, the GPOM D63, wins hands down.
The ZY-7 feels very alive and you can feel the energy of the ball coming of the face the GPOM is less harsh and more refined which is my preference.
Both distance and flight is comparable although when the ZY-7 hits a low one the ball seems to run forever. The better hits came from the GPOM
but I have been using this club for a few months now.
These are not the most forgiving of clubs but the ZY-7 seems to handle a suspect swing slightly better than the GPOM.
I prefer the matt finish of the ZY-7.

On course review to follow...........

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 06:04:38 AM »
Can anyone compare the ZY-7 to the ZY-11?
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

• Junior Ho
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 01:18:56 AM »
After deciding the GP, is the club for me, I ditched the 7, in the boot of my car, somehow the drivers switched over and I found myself at the range with only the 7. After the initial annoyance and hooky first hit, the drives were pretty spectacular, ultra long and baby draws and fades, the ball just comes of the face like a bullet. Without another club to compare with, this is a keeper.

I'm sure Dale, will chip in as he is having a serious relationship with his.

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 02:51:45 AM »
I'm hoping this one will be as good as a lot of people are saying. Have one on the way to go against the ZY-11.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 2007 Yamaha InpresX Black
LW: 60° Edel DGR
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 04:04:37 AM »
Yep this is a serious Driver.

I'm not sure I've hit a Driver with such an explosive ball Speed.

I've hit some monster Drives,( over 300 yards) and apart from the M1 ( again I think the ZY-7 is easier to move)this is the Straightest too.

Feel, is not the usual hard feel, but more of a Firm, Spring like experience, much nicer than the M1.

This won't be for everyone, Deffo suited to the Higher Swing Speed type of player, to get the Best from this club.

If I'm honest I think there's friendlier Drivers but I have not hit one longer!!!

Rest in Peace “Mi Amigo”

I got a Gibson
Without a case

glensmithis

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 01:21:47 PM »
I am new to all of this JDM stuff.  I mean, I have a collection of Miura putters, have owned multiple sets of Mizuno irons and woods and currently I am in the process of being fitted for a set of Miura Small (Baby) Blades.  I have been looking at JDM drivers and am really interested in the jBeam ZY-7.  As a newbie, I am just not sure.  I am a 2.6 index with a driver swing speed of 105-110.  Can anyone recommend some options?