Author Topic: Grand Prix One Minute v Grand Prix One Minute D63  (Read 4875 times)

• Junior Ho
  • A duck hook can be your friend
Grand Prix One Minute v Grand Prix One Minute D63
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
Preliminaries: I have been playing the GPOM, 10deg, for over a year, excellent driver no need to change, the shaft is a Kuro Kage tini at 45inches, 70g stiff D2.5. The new OMD63 really caught my attention, very deep face, deeper than 63 if you go top to bottom. Looks like the original after a good squeeze by a hydraulic vice. Anyway, I sent the head to my fitter who installed same shaft to the  exact spec as the original, so off to the range.

Round One: okay, I have not hit a driver as deep as the OMD63, so to begin with, I was trying to hit upwards and was hitting the bottom of the face, the results were not good, put it down and reverted to original, which as ever nice soft feel when around sweet spot, excellent distance and just really good, why did, I buy on other one?  GPOM, ahead on points.

Round Two: will try same swing with both drivers, picked up OMD63, after 3 hits it was a knockout, GPOM, had the head cover put on and was placed firmly in the bag.

The star billing goes to the OMD63, the feel off the face is an improvement, the distance is easily noticeable the ball flight is more piercing, the face also feels hotter but what really makes the difference is the lower spin being a deeper face. Now this model will not suit all of you and there are two alternative models to choose from but for me, I'm very, very happy.

Now, how well will it behave on the course, no idea but cannot wait to try.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
Re: Grand Prix One Minute v Grand Prix One Minute D63
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
Good stuff 100!  Glad to see you enjoying your new weapon.  I'd like to try this brand but the short story printed on the club just ruins it 4 me.  Can u get it w/o the words?
12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
Q,R,S,T Roddio-wedge/Lunar9
EXO odyssey
AVX

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »
Good stuff 100!  Glad to see you enjoying your new weapon.  I'd like to try this brand but the short story printed on the club just ruins it 4 me.  Can u get it w/o the words?

Could you not T-cut/cutting compound  the writing?....
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

Rest in Peace “Mi Amigo”

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

• Junior Ho
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:15:26 PM »

Short Story?

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:02:58 PM »

Dude, did it get grandista and gp mixed up?
Drivers : JadeAdllerRX460-DesignTuningIDV-GTD4557D-Itobori7D-RyomaMaxima2
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi
Irons : GTD-GrindStudio-Itobori-PXG-CNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Itobori-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Artisan-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »
Thanks for this review 100. Always best to have shaft etc the same to hold the variables. Would you say the D63 is A LOT lower spinning than the GPOM?

Thanks
Putters : ArGolf-Artisan-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

• Junior Ho
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:24:04 AM »
Without trackman or equivalent analysis, I can only comment on ball flight (range balls) and end results. The original GPOM, was and is a fantastic head, as good as anything out there, the deeper face and tweaks of the D63, have taken it to a new level. I would say definitely lower spin by the distance gained, slightly hotter face may also contribute but less spin is the main ingredient.

I will try and organise a trackman review.

Saying this, less spin is not always a good thing as, I know many of you across the pond are unable to generate enough ball speed to benefit from low spinning heads.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:36:26 AM »

Saying this, less spin is not always a good thing as, I know many of you across the pond are unable to generate enough ball speed to benefit from low spinning heads.

That is so true... on both counts.... ;D

• Junior Ho
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »
This is a review on the Callaway sub zero driver, not so much the review but listen to what he says about low spinning drivers.

https://youtu.be/DlykYt-dgDo

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
They come in a blue crown too

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:24:16 AM »

Post honeymoon update appreciated.

• Junior Ho
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »

Well, it's an excellent head and definitely an upgrade from the previous model which was and still is one of the better drivers out there, (just in case, I put my old one on BST). I played a very tight course on Monday and my hook re-appeared, when, I hit it well it is very long, with a strong piercing flight with lots of roll, everything, I could want. A bad hit was my usual hook although I noticed it did not spin out as far as usual, I was still in the trees for a chip out but not deep in the sh*t. Maybe a slightly open face wold have cured this? Or a better swing. The ZY-7 has peaked my interest so maybe another shootout.

P.S. If you want to buy my old one PM, me, going cheap but too lazy to advertise.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »

Well, it's an excellent head and definitely an upgrade from the previous model which was and still is one of the better drivers out there, (just in case, I put my old one on BST). I played a very tight course on Monday and my hook re-appeared, when, I hit it well it is very long, with a strong piercing flight with lots of roll, everything, I could want. A bad hit was my usual hook although I noticed it did not spin out as far as usual, I was still in the trees for a chip out but not deep in the sh*t. Maybe a slightly open face wold have cured this? Or a better swing. The ZY-7 has peaked my interest so maybe another shootout.

P.S. If you want to buy my old one PM, me, going cheap but too lazy to advertise.

Thanks for the update. I've had the gpom since it came out and find that an excellent driver head.  Am deciding between the 57 and 63.

Sgt Squirts

• Junior Ho
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 05:02:35 AM »
Any updates on this. The D63 really has my eye
Current Gamer Bag:

13 clubs that I hit farther than you and a putter than never misses

• Junior Ho
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
The D63, is excellent, more versatile than a lot of low spin drivers. On par with the ZY-7 but better sound and feel.