Author Topic: Driver woe solved? Ping G LSTEC / Kuro Kage 2013 Proto TiNi !!  (Read 6383 times)

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
Picked up a lightly used Ping G LS TEC 9 deg...  First outing with the stock Alta 55 Stiff ... 
Unfortunately I was spraying it all over the place,  I was afraid of that... 
but when I nutted one,   Mid launch low spin bombs.    One of the drives measured 330yards from the tee box.   I had some wind with me, yes :)

However,  If I tried to draw it,  I'd hook them pretty bad with a drop ball.
Alta shaft ... apparently not a good shaft for me.   Looked up the specs afterwards and they rate it at 4.9 deg torque.   
I have always had a fairly early release, and not much lag.  Which means I need a shaft with a softer but section which creates the lag for me.
Active tip shafts almost always bite me with a tendency to hook the ball.   

Round 2:  Reshafted with a KuroKage 2013 Proto TiNi in 60S....  These are  Mid Launch Mid Spin shafts ... think Diamana Ilima with reinforced tip using Elastic TiNi fiber.     Less hooks with this shaft.   Really nice mini draw and good launch angle 90% of the time.   I actually like this combo.

Yesterday,  I went into a local shop to demo other '16 USDM drivers to see if there are any others that might give me better numbers on the L/M 

Cobra King LTD, 915 D3, 915D2, M1 , JPX850 , JPX EZ, Srixon Z745

My Ping LSTEC came out on top with best dispersion and best distance around 285 yrds with roll.  M1 was a close second.  Distance wise no different from LSTEC but I had tigher dispersion with the LSTEC.   I feel LSTEC is the most forgiving of all the drivers I have tried.
Back spin averaged about 3000rpm, launch angle right at 14 deg.     I do have a Rogue 125 MSI shaft coming in a couple of days.   
I am hoping the spin rate reduces a bit more down to between 2500 to 2700 rpm   I think that is as low as I want to go.

'til my next super JDM head for my 7D shaft arrives,  I'll be playing the LSTEC for now.   Not beautiful, not great sounding or feeling.  but ease of use and performance has been quite impressive.     

Will update as soon as I have some range time with the Rogue shaft.

DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

akapur

• Super Ho
  • Looking forward to 2016
Re: Driver woe solved? Ping G LSTEC / Kuro Kage 2013 Proto TiNi !!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 02:04:03 PM »
Nob
The G is an excellent low spin forgiving driver. My son and I went to try them out with the local Ping rep and an LM
We were hitting outdoors. The verdict was that all the versions of the G were ridiculously easy to hit and produced low spin numbers. The SF Tec was the best for both of us as it took a baby cut and made it a baby draw with the same swing. For my son they had him move up the tour Stiff shaft at 9 degrees and he was averaging 285 with a couple at 300yards. For me I stayed at he normal stiff and was averaging just under 250yards. We ended up getting one for my son and I decided to stay with the M1/EVO 2 combo which felt better for me.
Taylormade M1 440 Atmos Stiff Blue shaft
2011 PRGR Egg with Rogue Black Stiff
Glorious 5W with Rogue Stiff
4PW PXG Dark with Modus 120S
Crazy Regensis 52/58 with Crazy Graphite
Bradley Putters Custom Putter

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
Ash,

I have experience with the Tour 65 shaft as well (I believe they are UST Mamiya shafts) and they are very good shafts.
I totally agree M1 is a better feeling head.   The shop was all sold out with their lower lofted M2 drivers which I really wanted to try.
M2 supposedly more forgiving than M1 I guess ...    Just to make up for the feel,  I'll probably use softer balls when I play the Ping G.

akapur

• Super Ho
  • Looking forward to 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 05:16:46 PM »
Nob

The M2 is longer and more forgiving then the M1. The face also feels firmer. If it came in a 430 I would have bought it.  I just perfer the M1 430 shape and size. I did pick up the M2 3W. This thing is a beast. Longer then any JDM 3W combo I own now. I am reaching driver distances with it. It is the only club that I can use to keep up with my son.
Taylormade M1 440 Atmos Stiff Blue shaft
2011 PRGR Egg with Rogue Black Stiff
Glorious 5W with Rogue Stiff
4PW PXG Dark with Modus 120S
Crazy Regensis 52/58 with Crazy Graphite
Bradley Putters Custom Putter

jbird902

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:29:56 PM »
I just picked up an m2 9.5 head. Have an 8g weight coming to get head weight to where I need it to play 44.75. Have a my attas 6(looking forward to this one) , an attas gogo 6(gamer) to test in it. Will report soon. Was bombing it at demo day. Think it's going to be real good..

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:14 AM »
I just picked up an m2 9.5 head. Have an 8g weight coming to get head weight to where I need it to play 44.75. Have a my attas 6(looking forward to this one) , an attas gogo 6(gamer) to test in it. Will report soon. Was bombing it at demo day. Think it's going to be real good..
Let us know how that goes!!  So what is the stock weight of the M2 head? 

jbird902

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:13:49 AM »
It's 195. Really light for me..

DaleUK

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »
Hmmmm interesting

Might have to try this if the Grandista doesn't work out

jbird902

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »
Got the M2 out today with 8g extra wieght. Found a winner here. Totally changes the club with the extra weight. Couldn't feel the clubhead before. Now it's at d3 with my attas 5gogo at 44.75..  Great combo. Very long(longer than my M1) and great forgiveness(better than my M1). I'd definaltely recommend it.   Have a my attas to try with it next.  Great club so far though.. But extra weight is needed for sure..

JanKo

• Super Ho
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:58:56 AM »
Where did you get the heavier weight?

Gaming the M1 for some months now and had the same feeling about the M2. Never could make it work because it felt too light.
Epon AF-153 - Diamana B
Yamaha Inpres X V 14 - Attas 3
Titleist 816h 19 + 23- Rogue Black 85
Epon AF-302 5-PW
Callaway MD3 black 50 + 56 - Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM Grind black 60 - Modus 125 Wedge
Golds Factory custom (modified Tiger Woods tribute)

DaleUK

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 02:00:40 AM »
Where did you get the heavier weight?

Gaming the M1 for some months now and had the same feeling about the M2. Never could make it work because it felt too light.

I changed the T track weight to the An extra front weight.. Think I gained 5 gram extra.

jbird902

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 05:49:00 AM »
So you have two(actually 3) options with M2 for more weight.

1- have it hotmelted to the weight you want

2- the rear weight is the same as the rbz weights. You can get them on eBay. Search rbz weights. The stock weight is only .5g and heads are 195g so you can figure what you need from there. Before you remove the stock weight hear it up a bit as there is thread lock on it.

3- there is space in the slot on the sole to put a good amount of lead tape for preliminary trial before you do one of the other options..

It makes all the difference in the world in this head

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 10:23:46 AM »
Hit the G LSTEC / Rogue 125 combo yesterday.
Indeed the Rogue 125 msi 60 TS is stiff.  Perhaps a bit more stiff than what I should be playing.
Nevertheless,  I was averaging 275 carry using range balls based on my Yupitel readings.  (Mind you, my Yupitel as a +10% callibration factor to incorporate high altitude conditions here where I live )     They are very low spinning with very tight dispersion.    Just goes very straight and forward!   
I'll play this for a while and see where it gets me.

I have a Crazy limited and a JBeam ZY-7 heads on order which I won't have any time soon ,  so I'll have some time to get really acquainted with the Ping/Rogue combo. :)

jbird902

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
So I brought the m2 out today with my TRPX Touale X-flex(I usually play a true stiff).  This thing is such a bomber. I was worried about dispersion and no issues there. Very tight. I'm really impressed. Anyone scared by lightweight go up a flex or two and try this this. Low spinning bombs. 10yds further than my other shafts..

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 09:03:06 PM »
Nice!!

I took out my G LSTEC along with three shafts today to the range.

1) Rogue 125 60 Tour Stiff is quite on the stiffer side...  I actually have to swing faster to get a good ball flight.   
     Ball goes nowhere with an easy swing.... 

2) Tensei CK Pro 60 Stiff is true to flex.   Flight is actually quite similar to Rogue ...  maybe not as piercing but similar low spin flight from the looks of it.
     I can swing easy and get decent distance.   swinging faster gets me a baby draw.    Very very smooth feeling!! 

3) Kurokage Proto TiNi 2013  - higher flight than the other two but not overly high.   Boring trajectory.   biggest carry ,  Easiest to swing, smoothest of the three.
     Going after it will get me to hook more than wanted.   

Problem!! I really like all three!!    The behavior for each are very predictable depending on how much gas I give my swing.

It was a fun range session, guys!!  really fun!