Author Topic: '16 iron build question  (Read 2099 times)

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
  • This hobby is like my wife, no money left...
'16 iron build question
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
Since it is going to be 60* here this week figured it was time to get things rolling again.

Have a set of Waccine GR-88 iron shafts and some Masda blades to put at the end of them.  The dilemma comes from do I soft step or straight in these puppies?

Shaft flex is TSX and I have a full compliment of 3-11. Got them 2nd hand and the #11 plays to a 36.25" PW.

How to proceed with the build...???

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: '16 iron build question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:17:55 PM »
My gut says go straight in.

I believe it would be easier to then SSx1 than go SSx1 and then have to go back to straight in if they're too soft?
TI Taylormade 16 M2 w/ TI Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood w/UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* w/Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 22* Driving Iron w/ Aero i95
13 ONOFF Forged 5-P w/ Modus 125
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 11:50:33 PM »
well take care, and don't fk it up coz u cant use them again if u do   ,the hosel is way too long for shaft  re use on other irons

. which blades did u get   the new ones  or the older  model ?
TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:49:32 AM »
well take care, and don't fk it up coz u cant use them again if u do   ,the hosel is way too long for shaft  re use on other irons

. which blades did u get   the new ones  or the older  model ?
I haven't seen a new model, got these...
http://masdagolf.com/product/iron/muspiron.html#5

While the hosel is long, doesn't seem as though insertion depth is that much longer, if at all, than other irons I have...

kl

• Super Ho
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 07:37:36 AM »
Excited that you picked these up, S!

You're, exactly right, the insertion depth is no different than others, so the long hosels will render the shafts shorter at playing length than if they were in a normal length hosel.  One other thing to note about these given the above: almost all of the head mass will be below the shaft tip, thereby activating the tip more so than in a shorter hosel head.  For that reason, personally, I'd go straight in.

I hope you enjoy them!

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the detail there K.  I wasn't even thinking about the resultant length of the club from a long hosel standard insertion.

From the description, it would seem that the Masda head might actually create a SS situation, perhaps I should try the #11 shaft in the PW and the #4 in the 4 iron.  From there I can SS the #4 if needed or move the #5 shaft into the 4 head if appropriate...

Thoughts?

kl

• Super Ho
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 02:22:15 PM »
If I'm following correctly, that sounds reasonable to me.  I do think the head creates a SS situation.

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »
yes..,  soft step is a good idea I did  one of my older ses t in soft step 2g18s and they came alive. unbeleiveable performance now ,  they are now close to my fave set.  one of my back ups is with ns120x stock and they are quite stout and  very lowe launching .
the new model,  (if u bought them direct  from the  site  u showed ) then they are the new model   ,its  easy to check   if they are a  longer thinner top line  with a  longer blade  and ever  so slightly more offset   and they   were  from a some russin transaltion site  and cheaper  then they are  the old model if they are  chrome fatter shorter  and squarer  and  much  more  exxy  then they are the new model .
 the old ones   are  the model I  had soft stepped, the boss man said dont make a mistake  with my  shaft choice as   once ive cut them they are too short to be resued.
if u like the shafts then go  for it  these are unreal heads ,  almost doesn't matter which model they are.  but ive found the newer ones are much nicer on summer lush  bec of the extra meat on them and the thinner  .longer ones play  oh so well on winter crop  or short  grass  bec they are  so pickable .
u cud do worse than to have both sets if u live in a cold/hot climate
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:23:25 PM by tsupo67 »
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 09:37:52 PM »
yes..,  soft step is a good idea I did  one of my older ses t in soft step 2g18s and they came alive. unbeleiveable performance now ,  they are now close to my fave set.  one of my back ups is with ns120x stock and they are quite stout and  very lowe launching .
the new model,  (if u bought them direct  from the  site  u showed ) then they are the new model   ,its  easy to check   if they are a  longer thinner top line  with a  longer blade  and ever  so slightly more offset   and they   were  from a some russin transaltion site  and cheaper  then they are  the old model if they are  chrome fatter shorter  and squarer  and  much  more  exxy  then they are the new model .
 the old ones   are  the model I  had soft stepped, the boss man said dont make a mistake  with my  shaft choice as   once ive cut them they are too short to be resued.
if u like the shafts then go  for it  these are unreal heads ,  almost doesn't matter which model they are.  but ive found the newer ones are much nicer on summer lush  bec of the exctra meet on them and the thinner ones play  oh so well on winter crop  bec they are  so pickable .
u cud do worse than to have both sets if u live in a cold/hot climate
Got them from a Japanese site that we all know and love using one of my favorite shops.  Never had an issue with the products on offer.

So neither a Russian site nor the one linked, but they look like the ones linked.

Had originally ordered back in Aug but ended up having to reorder them early this year. So I will guess new design.

Good thing I play  .5 - .75 in long on my irons, as even if the setup does not work, the shafts might be usable by someone shorter than myself...

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 10:31:51 PM »
yup if they are new , then they  will be   the current design which are a  little smaller and  thicker  and they  feel great.
little chunky  blade devils.
 they don't like to hook either.  their normal flight is  a low fade . they are great t o drill into pins in the wind.
great irons  these...
finish is outstanding as well ,even the bright chrome stands up brilliantly over time. not a mark on mine yet .

green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty