Author Topic: Seven Dreamer GPOM Review  (Read 6084 times)

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
Seven Dreamer GPOM Review
« on: January 10, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
So Iíve had 45 holes now with the Seven Dreamers Matrix shaft with the Grand Prix One Minute.

To begin, Iím very familiar with my GPOM 10* which I;ve had for quite a while and shafted with the excellent made for Muziik by Fujikura MAVC 80T.  That for the longest time was my most predictable, go to driver for new unfamiliar courses or when Iím not playing that well.  The only gripe I had with that is the ball blight is a tad (TAD) high but that is what the GPOM is designed to do.  Itís not a low low head.

Then a forummer got in touch with me just before Xímas to ask if I was interested in thisÖ. I;ve always been interested in the 7D, the concept, the materials but Ö.. Iíll come back to thatÖ. So of course I said , sure, why not.  Donít know much about the shaft but am told itís a balanced model, 60 plus gram and mid kick.  The latter 2 attributes suit me so what the heckÖ

Got it just before the New Year and managed to get 9 holes in on New Yearís day.  First hit wasÖ hmmmÖ pretty darn solid feel this farkin shaftÖ. Through the 5 holes on a course where it is absolutely necessary to hit  it on line and on some holes into a 2/3 club wind  by estimation it performed very wellÖ but WTFÖ this shaft ain;t designed for me  :o.  What was apparent were 3 attributes : it did lower the ball flight compared to the MAVC.. not night and day but lowER.. and it excels into the wind which is great for me as I tend to hit the ball high and struggle with shots into wind.  Third, this is a tight vixen.. tight!  She probably has the best dispersion of any shaft Iíve tried.  Now, the Mavc, and Basi AAA and Alpha are great dispersion wise but I think this particular 7D, whatever the design is, is just that bit tighter.  The virgin of virgins!

So the next 18 holes on a very familiar course, the same 3 attributes persisted.  Given the soggy nature of the course just a week ago, it was hard to judge run but even then, there was some run.  Carry seemed about the same as the others so distance wise, no Mr Boombastic.  Soggy course.. no problem.. its all ok.

Today, another 18 on the same familiar course.  Course and fairways much drier today.  Dispersion was less impressive due to operator error but when I finally started swinging well, that strong ballistic flight into head wind came back. This combo seems to have that but more hang time and itís not a ballooning thing.  The trajectory is strong.  There is definitely run with this combo and although it didnít feel like it, its sneaky long.  Is it the longest combo?  No!  But it was up there for a couple of holes!

What I can add now as less then good for a shaft of this reverence by some (seller and owners) is the feel.  Canít describe it but it just doesnít feel (sure subjective) that good to me and definitely not as good and smooth as the 80T Basi shafts and the MAVC.  Not a biggy but when you pay this much, I guess you do want it to feel good as well and feel adds that extra dimension of excellence to what makes a shaft great.

So the questionÖ will I actually get one fitted to me? I hoe enough to get a few anyways.  If I happen to be in Tokyo and stumble upon their premise by chance, maybe but will I go out of my way to get one?  Likely not.  Why?  So I mentioned above Iím really interested in 7D, their pitch, materials but I wonít do it more because of me.  Much of their CVP is premised upon personal fitting to me and the head.  Therein lie 2 reasons why it wonít work for me.

First, my swing is just not that consistent and can vary during a round.  There is no guarantee how I swing (never mind that Iím conscious Iím being measured) at 7D will be liked how I swing in course.  I know it should but Iím not that confident about that.  So for me, unlike some, my swing lacks consistency and I;m not likely to benefit that much from that aspect. In addition, how much the studio fitting takes into consideration wind, humidity, and all the other stuff that affects the round on a real courseÖ. ?

Second, itís fit to a particular headÖ I mean come on!  This is me!  Keep a head for 2 years? Yeah right!  Get real.

So itís a good shaft.. no, a very good shaft in factÖ but due to the lack of feel which is subjective, its just not a great shaft. Maybe if it was fit for me, I;d like it more halo effect notwithstanding.   ;DDo I regret getting it?  No.  I;m keeping the combo together actually.  Worth the money.. damn.. donít ask me thatÖ I think itís a silly question.  Answer that for yourself as itís your coin and you decide what is worth the money to you.  It sure as heck wonít get you another 30 yards though but neither will another shaft.

So 45 holes with this very good combo .. but that has not been the hero of those 2  Ĺ rounds.. will leave that for another review.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:37:17 PM by wmclarenf1 »
Drivers : JadeAdllerRX460-DesignTuningIDV-Itobori-RyomaMaxima2
UTs : Itobori-Proceed-Ryoma
Irons : GrindStudio-ItoboriMXH-OrionCloserCB-PXG0311T-TittyCNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-JadeAdller-Orion
Putters : BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-Xenon

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
Re: Seven Dreamer GPOM Review
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
Great write up !!

The one thing I will add is that,  because of the tight dispersion, you now have the option to mess around with other dimensions of the club,  such as  lighter weight or longer length to ultimately generate faster head speed.
The tight dispersion factor is what makes these shaft special.   

I got fit in their studio last year asking them I want both distance and control using a 200g Grandista head.
The resulting design was a 325g ,  46.75" long,  D9 swing weight driver.   Yup D9!   Shaft weight is 70g.
Only time I had tried drivers this long was when I just started assembly of clubs on my own and played with Long Distance brand heads and shafts just for fun.  ( house of forged,  geek golf etc... )

I've only had a couple of rounds with the combo prior to my hand I injury, but in those rounds,  I have hit a couple of monsterous drives where the ball landed in previously unexplored territories closer to the green.   
Thanks to the longer club length,  the distance potential is definitely there. 
I still need more time getting used to the combo,  but I am feeling pretty confident that I'd be able to maintain good dispersion even with the added club length.

The thing about designing the shaft around a specific head ...  I have so far managed to convince myself that swapping the head may mess up the whole design and balance of the club... but I may ask Seven Dreamers in the future on how much impact a different head would actually introduce in overall performance.   I am hoping  "minimal" as long as I stick to a similar type of head.   Been eyeing on that AF105 for a while now  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 08:58:37 AM by nobmt »
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
Art, have you ever had a fitting at Crazy or trpx? And if not why not?
DR: TM.
FW: TM.
HY: TM.
Irons: TM.
Wedges Cleveland.
Putter: Seemore.

kl

• Global Moderator
  • Super Ho
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »
Solid, well thought out, and balanced write-ups Art and Nob.  Thanks.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
First of all great review...exactly why I spend so much time on this site is good, independent, thoughtful information to help me make efficient purchase decisions.

I've decided feel is everything to me when it comes to shafts and overall clubs in general.  I can identify with the lack of complete customization benefits being realized for a super ho...

There's just to many good shafts out there at reasonable prices that can be shuffled into an amazing combo that the cost just doesn't justify 7D for me.....as always though would consider that if you decide to move it on.  How does it compare flex wise to the boo2bee 60s hard?  I'm liking this trend you have of buy shafts a little to stiff...if you'd start playing them an inch longer, they would all be perfect for me.....
12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
Q,R,S,T Roddio-wedge/Lunar9
EXO odyssey
AVX

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
Excellent thoughts. I'd bet dollars to donuts that 7D shaft is stiffer than what you usually play. Either in CPM or in overall profile.

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »
Echo a few cooments here, nice to actually read a review somewhere again.
Where someone has bothered to do thoer own research. Not jist piggyback and low bal thoer wayto success on somoneoelses coin and research.

Vermin scummm!
Art ithnk ud very very much.like the7d  test facility . I pipinthere vereryfew months to playaround. Its the ultimate hightech gizmo place,theyare very veryvery thorough on what to build.
And as usaykeeping one head isnt anoption, butithink evenyou wud have a"keeper"
This is the head u shaft shaft with the 7d. And nou dont have to go thruthehawkers site. To order one.
But id suggest u do come here and get it,notdo itthruthe questioIre thing.

Ive still.... Not got one.,biggest reeasonisall mygolfing budies have moved and ive  no one to  playwith anymore, ,nocomp, no coin, soim not gonna drop a ton one one to practice with.

The ones i have hit tho are sensational.
I will get one this season if mybuddy gets a new job,and illprob put it in the  epon101,that isa keeper and a heD of thehighest mTerials and design thatlasts the test of time. IsaythT bec ive recentlyput two back in play with the stinger and the labospec tataki and  although these are not the longest on the street i rarelyif ever miss with it.and the feel is just so endo.

I was toying with putting. One in a jbeam 435 or anegg 7.5,but the epon is just nondescript its jsut simply never gets boring nor bad.
Plus its made T endo japan..of the highestpossible everythings , makes sense to put the shaft jnto the top head there is.

Btw if anyones got a 101lying about and is loking for inspiration bothof those shafts are masterfull in it,truely superb combos.

Actaully  imight popover there today and have another plyaround
astro tourv3 10*// quadra fire express prototype 2016
prgr egg spoon15*//roddio tour only  bee71x
fourteen tw u 21*//diamanana stinger 70x
masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
prgr nabla id 52*. NS WV125s Yamaha raw black  56*....NS wv 125s
fourteen mt 28 60*....NS 950s
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
Great write up !!

The one thing I will add is that,  because of the tight dispersion, you now have the option to mess around with other dimensions of the club,  such as  lighter weight or longer length to ultimately generate faster head speed.
The tight dispersion factor is what makes these shaft special.   

I got fit in their studio last year asking them I want both distance and control using a 200g Grandista head.
The resulting design was a 325g ,  46.75" long,  D9 swing weight driver.   Yup D9!   Shaft weight is 70g.
Only time I had tried drivers this long was when I just started assembly of clubs on my own and played with Long Distance brand heads and shafts just for fun.  ( house of forged,  geek golf etc... )

I've only had a couple of rounds with the combo prior to my hand I injury, but in those rounds,  I have hit a couple of monsterous drives where the ball landed in previously unexplored territories closer to the green.   
Thanks to the longer club length,  the distance potential is definitely there. 
I still need more time getting used to the combo,  but I am feeling pretty confident that I'd be able to maintain good dispersion even with the added club length.

The thing about designing the shaft around a specific head ...  I have so far managed to convince myself that swapping the head may mess up the whole design and balance of the club... but I may ask Seven Dreamers in the future on how much impact a different head would actually introduce in overall performance.   I am hoping  "minimal" as long as I stick to a similar type of head.   Been eyeing on that AF105 for a while now  :)

Look forward to your review after you get over your injury.  46.75 and d9!  Have never had anything close to that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:31:25 PM by wmclarenf1 »

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »
Art, have you ever had a fitting at Crazy or trpx? And if not why not?

No man.  To begin with, I've found those 2 good shafts but again not great.  TRPX for me is good but also lack in feel.  More so than 7D.  And crazy for me has just lagged behind bangvoo and basi 80Ts by a mile.  Great looks but ....

Second, I don't get to Tokyo much and third, the same user error in terms of my lack of swing consistency prevails.  Without that, any fitting is at best luck.  Finally, the and concerns about the in ability to factor in real world conditions like wind and humidity come in.

I'm not sure if true but a Friend mentioned that in our parts especially, it your playing over water, take a club more as humidity over the pond will be more.  Not sure if factually true but it doesn't strike me as bizarre.... I digress.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »
Solid, well thought out, and balanced write-ups Art and Nob.  Thanks.

Well short of a boobs pic of sorts...

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »
Excellent thoughts. I'd bet dollars to donuts that 7D shaft is stiffer than what you usually play. Either in CPM or in overall profile.

Well, I'm a known cpm geek so I really could not tell you.  By my hands cpm gauge machine, flex wise my 7D feels in between the b2b 60 hard and 60s.  So for me not too stiff and in fact, quite on the money by total chance.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »
First of all great review...exactly why I spend so much time on this site is good, independent, thoughtful information to help me make efficient purchase decisions.

I've decided feel is everything to me when it comes to shafts and overall clubs in general.  I can identify with the lack of complete customization benefits being realized for a super ho...

There's just to many good shafts out there at reasonable prices that can be shuffled into an amazing combo that the cost just doesn't justify 7D for me.....as always though would consider that if you decide to move it on.  How does it compare flex wise to the boo2bee 60s hard?  I'm liking this trend you have of buy shafts a little to stiff...if you'd start playing them an inch longer, they would all be perfect for me.....

It does seem to be that way of late H :D

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 07:36:14 PM »
Echo a few cooments here, nice to actually read a review somewhere again.
Where someone has bothered to do thoer own research. Not jist piggyback and low bal thoer wayto success on somoneoelses coin and research.

Vermin scummm!
Art ithnk ud very very much.like the7d  test facility . I pipinthere vereryfew months to playaround. Its the ultimate hightech gizmo place,theyare very veryvery thorough on what to build.
And as usaykeeping one head isnt anoption, butithink evenyou wud have a"keeper"
This is the head u shaft shaft with the 7d. And nou dont have to go thruthehawkers site. To order one.
But id suggest u do come here and get it,notdo itthruthe questioIre thing.

Ive still.... Not got one.,biggest reeasonisall mygolfing budies have moved and ive  no one to  playwith anymore, ,nocomp, no coin, soim not gonna drop a ton one one to practice with.

The ones i have hit tho are sensational.
I will get one this season if mybuddy gets a new job,and illprob put it in the  epon101,that isa keeper and a heD of thehighest mTerials and design thatlasts the test of time. IsaythT bec ive recentlyput two back in play with the stinger and the labospec tataki and  although these are not the longest on the street i rarelyif ever miss with it.and the feel is just so endo.

I was toying with putting. One in a jbeam 435 or anegg 7.5,but the epon is just nondescript its jsut simply never gets boring nor bad.
Plus its made T endo japan..of the highestpossible everythings , makes sense to put the shaft jnto the top head there is.

Btw if anyones got a 101lying about and is loking for inspiration bothof those shafts are masterfull in it,truely superb combos.

Actaully  imight popover there today and have another plyaround

Perhaps when I do drop by Tokyo next whenever that is and if I can get more consistency in my swing.  I've got more movements in my swing than a JPS.

If you need another AF101, let me know.  I've got a 9.5 in vey decent nick.

Rovega

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
Art, just buy a few dozen of those 7D shafts and you can fit those into whatever driver heads you desire. Problem solved and no need to worry about fittings.

Life is short, you need to live a little.... :P :P and maybe sell a kidney and a testicle ...

Great review btw.

So the questionÖ will I actually get one fitted to me? I hoe enough to get a few anyways.  If I happen to be in Tokyo and stumble upon their premise by chance, maybe but will I go out of my way to get one?  Likely not.  Why?  So I mentioned above Iím really interested in 7D, their pitch, materials but I wonít do it more because of me.  Much of their CVP is premised upon personal fitting to me and the head.  Therein lie 2 reasons why it wonít work for me.

First, my swing is just not that consistent and can vary during a round.  There is no guarantee how I swing (never mind that Iím conscious Iím being measured) at 7D will be liked how I swing in course.  I know it should but Iím not that confident about that.  So for me, unlike some, my swing lacks consistency and I;m not likely to benefit that much from that aspect. In addition, how much the studio fitting takes into consideration wind, humidity, and all the other stuff that affects the round on a real courseÖ. ?

Second, itís fit to a particular headÖ I mean come on!  This is me!  Keep a head for 2 years? Yeah right!  Get real.

So itís a good shaft.. no, a very good shaft in factÖ but due to the lack of feel which is subjective, its just not a great shaft. Maybe if it was fit for me, I;d like it more halo effect notwithstanding.   ;DDo I regret getting it?  No.  I;m keeping the combo together actually.  Worth the money.. damn.. donít ask me thatÖ I think itís a silly question.  Answer that for yourself as itís your coin and you decide what is worth the money to you.  It sure as heck wonít get you another 30 yards though but neither will another shaft.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 06:47:47 PM »
Art, just buy a few dozen of those 7D shafts and you can fit those into whatever driver heads you desire. Problem solved and no need to worry about fittings.

Life is short, you need to live a little.... :P :P and maybe sell a kidney and a testicle ...

Great review btw.

Kidney I'm willing to sell...