Author Topic: PXG 811 Driver - any experience?  (Read 5165 times)

Blackman

• Fledgling Ho
PXG 811 Driver - any experience?
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »
Has anybody tried the PXG driver?
Could get it for an ok price, but not sure whether it is worth a try...

Cheers
Andy
Callaway EPIC SUB ZERO - 9 Degr.  - OBAN Kiyoshi Black
Callaway EPIC SUB ZERO 16 Degr. - OBAN Devotion HB
GIMAR NRBX - 3 to 4 - Aerotech Steelfiber
GIMAR NRB Pro - 5 to PW - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 52 Grad - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 56 Grad - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 60 Grad - KBS V-Tour
EVNRoll ER3

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: PXG 811 Driver - any experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »
The PXG stuff has my eye too. The final frontier!?!!

• Junior Ho
  • A duck hook can be your friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
Being fitted next month for the irons, the pro says hottest irons he has ever tested. Will ask about the driver.

DaleUK

• Ultra Ho
  • Never trust an Atom,they make up everything!!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:06:59 AM »
Any pictures??
If your not part of the Solution , then your part of the Problem!!

Rest in Peace “Mi Amigo”

I got a Gibson
Without a case
But I can't get that even tanned look on my face

• Junior Ho
  • A duck hook can be your friend
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 07:38:21 AM »
Tried the driver last night, its as good as any, you need to hit it low to medium of the face. The sweet spot is horizontal so if your misses are left to right on the club face then its a good buy. If you miss vertically up and down then maybe not soo good. Although, I am buying the irons and hybrid, I am leaving the driver alone as my existing one is better for me. The 3 wood has yet to arrive to test.

Blackman

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »
Had a try in the meantime... not too impressed I am afraid. At least for me it does produce too much spin.
I need a driver which does help me produce low spin. In this section it does not do wonders. I can imagine this being a great performer for a low spin player.
Feel on good hits is great and a lot better that the ping G30. The swing weight felt great (D4) and the club was not overly long (45").
I had no time to check out the adjustability of the screws. The design is close to ping as stated by a number of guys. The head is mor on the mid to shallow side of things.
I have been surprised that you can only adjust the Loft, not the face a angle.
Good news if you prefer slim hosels. Not up to market standards in terms of adjustability if you ask me.

Setup tested:
Head 9 degree
shaft: OBAN Devotion 6 in stiff
Swing weight: D4
Callaway EPIC SUB ZERO - 9 Degr.  - OBAN Kiyoshi Black
Callaway EPIC SUB ZERO 16 Degr. - OBAN Devotion HB
GIMAR NRBX - 3 to 4 - Aerotech Steelfiber
GIMAR NRB Pro - 5 to PW - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 52 Grad - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 56 Grad - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 60 Grad - KBS V-Tour
EVNRoll ER3

1dirtypanda

• Junior Ho
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
i haven't hit the driver but i hit the 3w yesterday a few times on the range. it had a fuji pro 73, maybe? matte grey color looks awesome. they put these stupid alignment markers on there. it's not a dot or triangle but like curvy lines, kind of like parentheses (). feel and forgiveness are pretty good. i dunno how much they run but depending on the price i'd probably bag it and i ONLY play TEE fairways.

1dirtypanda

• Junior Ho
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:56:04 PM »
Hit the driver today as my buddy pretty much completes out the set. Driver 3w 311T putter. This was at the range and on the course. I forgot what shaft was in it.

Driver looks exactly like a ping but without those stupid lines turbulators or whatever the eff they call those dumb things. Sound is baseball bat-ty. Not my thing.  At $700-800 or whatever they charge for it I don't think it's worth the value. Just go buy a ping. Maybe if pricing was more in line with the other brands drivers. Face is a little shallower than my A-grind 440. But not as odd trapezoidal as the zy11. That thing IMO is just fugly.

I hit it side by side with ZY11, agrind440, modart DS and a Cally 816dbd. A-grind has the most TINGy sound. Modart is a more muted ting. ZY11 is a loud hard knock (which I personally hate), cally is muted sound and pxg is baseball bat (not my thing). First time I hit the modart too. Good driver. If I didn't have the A-grind I'd probably go for this. 

Putter is a putter. At $300 it's fine for what it is. Apparently it's a heavy head though.  Maybe something like 375g. They gotta get rid of the FAT white line though. Acetone is easy fix.

The PXG irons aren't bad. Hit them anywhere on the face and they'll go and pretty straight too. Easy to hit. Dunno though about the $3-400/club though. Under $2k for the set and they're contenders. Feel is average. Not terrible but not epon p2s. I couldn't really tell where on the face I was hitting it. Maybe that's a good thing but I like a little more feedback.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:57:49 PM by 1dirtypanda »

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:15:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Hope to hit these one of these days.

Staxxx

• Junior Ho
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 06:23:01 AM »
Enjoying playing my PXG irons. I agree with DirtyPanda that the irons are loooong and straight, but definitely a slightly dead feel on the face. I am getting used to it. Would say that they are almost the opposite of a forged feel, but they are so damn accurate that I can forgive anything.
Made two shoo-in birdies today when I played 7 practice holes.
I have the darkness heads shafted in old livery Roddio i8 SR shafts and besides looking totally sexy, they play very stable in them. I am actually really beginning to like Roddio very much. Have it in my 3 wood and it is so damn reliable!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:24:56 AM by Staxxx »