Author Topic: Callaway PM wedge  (Read 8417 times)

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
Re: Callaway PM wedge
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »
Tried it on course for the first time today.  was playing pretty well and hitting greens, so only needed on a few holes.  Didn't try much of anything with it other than the bump and run type chips.  It is good, has some serious checking power.  Basically hop and stop with a little bit of roll from negligible to some based on the length of fly time.  I didn't find that it cut through thick grass any better than any other wedge I have played.  Am very curios to see how it performs with the flop shot, also how much pure up and down you can get when you open it up some.

So far so good....

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »
I don't find it cutting through the rough better necessarily so much as having so much more face to work with up high, so if you get under it in the rough it still has some meat higher on the face to get the ball moving.

And you're right, the way it grabs on chips and pitches is pretty remarkable. Last week on the par 5 9th in league I missed green left on my approach and had a ~10 yard pitch out of the rough with some green to work with. Threw the ball pretty much at the pin and it came out a bit lower than I expected. I thought it was going to go off the other side of the green but it took a hop and stopped dead. When we were putting our stuff away afterwards, he told me he thought when I hit that shot it was looooong gone and he couldn't believe it checked up the way it did. He was standing perpendicular to the shot path about even with where it landed, and said it just slammed on the brakes on the second hop.

There's no special milling and it has conforming grooves, not really sure what makes it grab so much but I don't think I've played any wedges aside from the 58* raw Yururi (non conforming) that come anywhere close. I guess it's the high CG like the Bold? It's ugly and cast and USDM but I'm all my ho'ing and all the clubs I've really enjoyed trying and using, I'm not sure I've ever put something in the bag that's saved me as many strokes as this.

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »
I am not sure I will continue to use for all shots around the green. The up and down and stopping power is great, but the bump and run is not happening with this club.  So while I guess it will keep a spot in a bag it might have the shaft pulled and put into the Cobra bag. Especially if I can find a 64* Miura...

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
Tried it again today...It is super good out of deep rough...I think because the face is so high it stays on the face some...and spins...

Feels like shit...even though it's odd it looks pretty good though...

Not gonna get one...it just doesn't feel good and while it prob is the best performing out of the rough and short sided lies it really is not very good with my stock chip or pitch (ball back/hands forward pop, slow and release easy)...that's 80%+ of what I hit...

Can see why you like it...it does perform on some shots...

12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
Q,R,S,T Roddio-wedge/Lunar9
EXO odyssey
AVX

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 12:05:53 AM »
I agree it won't be for everyone but I find it feels damn good. Almost too soft I can't really tell where I hit it on the face

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
It kind of reminds me of the egglet...irritating but very effective...
12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
EXO odyssey
AVX

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »
Still gaming this thing for everything inside 40 yards or so. Had a handful of hole outs and usually put myself in make able putt range whenever this is in my hand. I hit it so consistently but the one thing I haven't gotten used to still is how easy it gets the ball out of the rough.

When I hit a rare bad shot with this its long coming out of the rough because years of using other wedges has taught me to give it more than what this club requires. Have turned a few golfing buddies onto them and they use it and love it.

The material is pretty soft despite being cast. Developing a very noticeable wear spot in the center of the face because it gets so much use. It's great from the sand too, have quit using my 58K CF Vokey for anything other than full shots, and have bent it to 56 to match my 52/60 on either side of it.

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »
Nice, perhaps I should hit this some more...it is good, especially out of the deep rough.  Nice to find a club you have a lot of confidence in...I feel the same was about the 3HT...when $ is on the line and I need 210-225 yards this club has never let me down, going on 4 years now...
12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
EXO odyssey
AVX

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »
I'm still loving this thing. Carrying my best scoring average ever and most of it is due to putting so many chips and pitches into gimme range with this.

spoon

• Always Ho'ing crew
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Always hoing around.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:25 PM »
I'm still loving this thing. Carrying my best scoring average ever and most of it is due to putting so many chips and pitches into gimme range with this.

damn i want one of these but being non jdm is a deal breaker!
shallow hal i am
Ping g400 FEX65S
Gfield 4w Fex 65s
Epon 901 19* Crazy CBI 80s
Epon 901 22* Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 6-pw Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 Aw Diamana OT 105s,  TW /54/58
G-filed Leap M

Nine-deuce

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »
I actually did pick one of these up and I must say I am impressed.  Only non-JDM club in my bag and that hasn't happened in years.  Its feel is actually pretty good.  I need to put it through the paces more as I haven't had a lot of time with it but what I like about it is that it is so different from my A-Grinds so its kind of like another option to the bag that wasn't there before.  I love my A-Grinds, but this club definitely has a use.  Phil was on to something with this club.  Doesn't hurt that it comes with KBS wedge shaft.

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »
Chipped in for birdie for second time in 2 weeks on hole 4, above the green in the rough coming back down a strongly sloping green. Basically just have to pop it up and out, land it on the collar and let it trickle down to the hole. Being above this hole used to end up in a bogey more often than not. Now with this club it makes it so much easier.

spoon

• Always Ho'ing crew
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Always hoing around.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 08:55:41 PM »
Chipped in for birdie for second time in 2 weeks on hole 4, above the green in the rough coming back down a strongly sloping green. Basically just have to pop it up and out, land it on the collar and let it trickle down to the hole. Being above this hole used to end up in a bogey more often than not. Now with this club it makes it so much easier.

getting closer!
Ping g400 FEX65S
Gfield 4w Fex 65s
Epon 901 19* Crazy CBI 80s
Epon 901 22* Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 6-pw Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 Aw Diamana OT 105s,  TW /54/58
G-filed Leap M

Staxxx

• Junior Ho
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »
I am really liking the sound of this club. I think I will look for a 60* to complement my Iyo-Domo 51/56 combination.....

Xxio

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 10:14:10 PM »
I've tried the 60. It plays shorter than a regular 60. Literally and distance wise. However the performance is there. Going out hunting for a 58 that will perform closer to my current 60 but the the PM benefits.