Author Topic: Aldila RIP Tour 115  (Read 4958 times)

kl

• Super Ho
Aldila RIP Tour 115
« on: May 05, 2015, 10:34:46 PM »
I traded for a set of Mizuno MP-54 pretty much because they had these shafts and the grips I like (Best Grips Microperfs).  I haven't really played anything besides a blade in a long time, so I was surprised how nicely the MP-54 set up.  Anyway, I had heard good thing about these shafts and a few hits suggested that the praise was warranted.  At 115g, the weight is nice, and I like the balance as well.  They're strong, but not boardy or dull.  Again, I haven't hit them much and not in anything I'd normally play, but these left me the impression that they're closest to steel among the graphites I've hit.  The question running through my head is, given how much I'm enjoying the CTapers, do I bother removing/selling the heads and putting these in a set of blades, or do I simply move these on?  Now that my swing is coming together a bit more than the first time I hit these, I'll probably hit them a bit more to see if they give me any meaningful performance gains.

kl

• Super Ho
Re: Aldila RIP Tour 115
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:20:46 PM »
Some more time with these and I find them impressive.  I really don't like the MP-54 head after a little use, but these shafts are nice.  So far, I'm thinking friendlier CTaper.  They're going to a buddy for some testing and maybe into a winter set.

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:01:54 AM »
I got them in regular flex because they were supposed to be so stout. Put in a set of stensons and they went a mile high. Should have tried the stiff I guess.
ONOFF Labospec 358 Driver - Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* - Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed TI UT 21* Nippon GOST
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-6 MB 7-P - MCA MMT
Mizuno T20 50 and 55 - MCA MMT
Seven ST 61* - MCI 125 “Mild” Wedge
Epon I-33 - Matrix PZ125 Shaft

kl

• Super Ho
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »
Yeah, so far I've found the MP-54/RIP Stiff combo a little higher than the Masda/CTaper - not nearly as much as I'd expected, especially given the difference in the heads.

I forgot you tried these, Matt.  Were yours 115?

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
  • This hobby is like my wife, no money left...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:38:20 AM »
I broke down and got a set of these from the bay...  Tour Proto X flex, will try a long iron straight in, but will be expecting to soft step.  Also ordered a set of the Cobra Amp MB in honor of Fowler winning his second tourney...

Should be an interesting experiment...

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
Yes Kurt I had the 115. They were good sticks, just went absurdly high so they didn't stick around long.

kl

• Super Ho
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »
Those Cobras are nice, Steve.  Definitely curious how you find the shafts compared to some of your favorites. 

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:23:46 AM »
Played 1 round with a 3-iron straight in.  The best test of whether it is too stout is the long irons and too loose is the short irons...

Had an old Hogan Edge Pro CB 3 iron laying around, so I shafted it up last night and played it this morning.

The shaft is very nice, so far.  I would say that it is stouter than the Roddio in X but not nearly as stiff as the Attas Tour 120s.  I am getting a similar trajectory with the Aldila as I do with the Attas 120s, where as the Roddio have a more arching flight.  The RIP Tour has a nice piercing trajectory.  I am curious to see how the soft step will impact the flight though.

I picked up a retail version of the RIP Tour 115 3 iron as well, so will use that as the soft step tester, just hope the retail and proto are comparable flex wise.

Based on the shaft this AM I think this experiment is going to be fun.  Not to get too far ahead of myself, but I might have found my travel bag, given the price difference between the JDM stuff and this USDM bag...

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »
Retail version of PW and 2 iron shaft built into a Geotech AW and the Hogan 3-iron for the soft step test...  Looking forward to playing a few tomorrow...

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »
Have a couple of rounds in now with these clubs/shafts...

I am digging them quite a bit.  Distance is right up there with anything else and they seem pretty accurate.  My pulls, pull consistently and the push fades are pushed.  In all seriousness, these are contenders and the standard graphic is way better than the Roddio...  Price performance on these makes them even more attractive...

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »
Glad they're working for you Rickie

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »
Yes Kurt I had the 115. They were good sticks, just went absurdly high so they didn't stick around long.
After playing the 9 iron with the Proto, I would agree the trajectory is higher than many other shafts.  With my swing I was getting a pure arch but very stable flight.

The MCI 120X that I have in the Zodia wedges and the Diamana Thumps X flex with the '13 Yams have similar trajectories to these.  The MCI is much looser and the Thumps I think have a higher torque number but the results are the same.  High arching ball flight.

Will get the rest of the set built out and put some additional comments together once that is done...

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 08:46:23 AM »
Glad they're working for you Rickie

Need to find me an orange flat brim hat and a super hot girlfriend now...

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »
Managed to get the rest of the set built up and out to the course this AM.

The Proto, I think are 1/4 to 1/2 flex stouter than the retail counterparts increasing from short to long irons.  In that the PW is maybe 1/4 flex stronger and the 4 iron is 1/2 a flex more stout.  I am gauging this based on my swing's desire to get fast with the 4 iron on the proto but willingness to be smooth on the 3 iron with the retail shaft.  Also, the AW with the retail version and the PW proto combo.  I can step on the proto to get some additional distance, but am hesitant to do so with the 49* AW.

Flight is a big high arch in the shorter irons, getting more penetrating as you work your way into the longer ones...

Distance is a touch longer, could be the heads to, not sure.