Author Topic: RomaRo Chapter 2 i-Brid  (Read 8032 times)

Mpuk

• I'm hoing it up ;)
  • Super Ho
Re: RomaRo Chapter 2 i-Brid
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »

MPUK
As an aside, I am dumbfounded by your shaft selections. Considering the numbers you put up for distances.
How come fella ? Happy to help solve the mystery.
TM M1 440 9.5* & Matrix RulZ Type C 70
Adams XTD Ti 16* Hybrid & Fubuki AX 400h
Titleist 718 T-MB 20* (3i) / Ping i200 (4/UW) &
Modus 105
Cobra King Pur 56* Versatile & 56* Wide Low Modus 125 Wedge
Odyssey O Works #2
Golf Pride MCC Black/White grips

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 01:23:01 AM »
Suppose now is as good a time as any to add my feedback, now that I have been playing a pair for several rounds...

The 15* through 24* clubs get a lot of use at my home course, not as my second shots so much as from the tee box.  As such I alternate between using a tee and just plopping the ball on the turf and swinging away.  My bag setup is usually 18*, 21/22*, 24/25* all as UT in stead of DI and FW and have been through several over the years.  My two favorite are the Type S and the iBrid.  Currently, I am gaming the 22* and 25* Chapter 2 iBrids shafted up with Quadra FEX UT85X shafts, both are straight in no tipping involved and cut to play as relevant length for th 3 and 4 iron respectively. Meaning I did not cut them longer as many UT specs would suggest.

Looks wise, they are identical to the 1st generation of iBrid at address and the only noticeable differences are on the sole via the stampings and the cut out in the sole resembling a "speed slot".

In the feel department, they are far superior to the 1st gen and approaching that of the Type S that i adore.  Along with the improved feel is a much more muted sound, no more tin can effect.  Also the distances are improved.  I cannot give numbers as the shafts are different, but compared to the old model i10/iBrid combo I am about 1/2 to 1 club longer with the Chapter 2.

My experience is that it has a higher propensity to go left than the 1st gen, but that could also be a factor of not tipping the 25* any compared to the 22* but even the 22* is easier to draw and possible to over draw.  Trajectory wise, I find the Chpater 2 is much easier to launch as well.  You can control the trajectory but the natural flight is more arching than penetrating...

All told, I am happy with the new Chapter 2 and they have won a spot in a bag.  The next question to answer is whether the Epon 903 DI are better/worse than the 1st gen iBrid.

Nice write up. Just wondering how forgiving the chapter 2 is? Been eyeing this one for while now. Might have to pull the trigger on one to find out I guess.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 56 Ping Glide 3.0
LW: 60 Ping Glide 3.0
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »

MPUK
As an aside, I am dumbfounded by your shaft selections. Considering the numbers you put up for distances.
How come fella ? Happy to help solve the mystery.
Just that your distances don't seem to align with the flexes of your shaft.

I understand the weight thing but get the inpression you are substituting flex stiffness for lower torque and it is having an adverse impact on your game.

Bear in mind I am no expert, just my observations based on your numbers centric approach to fitting yourself.

Mpuk

• I'm hoing it up ;)
  • Super Ho
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
Advice is always welcome as it is difficult to try JDM gear before you buy.

I do like heavier graphite shafts as happy to play high 70g in my driver and 100g plus in my hybrids which is a contrast to the Shimada K's Tour Lite steel I play in my irons, also 106g.

I'm only just getting my head around CPM's so Torque is new but I do know the Aldila Rogue Silver is low torque.

I also just tried the new Modus 125 and was shocked that I liked it because it is so much heavier than what I'm used to. That could just be a flex thing though as Shimada K's Tour run super stiff in comparison.

Happy to learn more.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:25:42 PM by Mpuk »
Modus 105
Odyssey O Works #2

DaleUK

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
Advice is always welcome as it is difficult to try JDM gear before you buy.

I do like heavier graphite shafts as happy to play high 70g in my driver and 100g plus in my hybrids which is a contrast to the Shimada K's Tour Lite steel I play in my irons, also 106g.

I'm only just getting my head around CPM's so Torque is new but I do know the Aldila Rogue Silver is low torque.

I also just tried the new Modus 125 and was shocked that I liked it because it is so much heavier than what I'm used to. That could just be a flex thing though as Shimada K's Tour run super stiff in comparison.

Happy to learn more.

I'm shocked you find the K's super Stiff

Mpuk

• I'm hoing it up ;)
  • Super Ho
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
I have all the Shimada range built in separate test 6i heads and the Lite's play true to flex, the 115 stiffer and the Tours, at least a whole flex stiffer. Even the Stiffs of the K's are too much for me. I just got a set of Epon 316 SUS 3 to PW with Shimada Tours Stiff and sadly my initial observations proved to be spot on.

PM me if you are interested in the Epon 316 SUS 3 to PW with Shimada Tours Stiff.
Modus 105
Odyssey O Works #2

DaleUK

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 02:27:33 PM »
M.

I soft stepped my Shimada ..
As for the Epons, mate I'm done with that brand.. Yes it's pure Quality but I just play the Onoff's better!!

Mpuk

• I'm hoing it up ;)
  • Super Ho
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »
I'm up for trying the 2013 ONOFF forged and have plenty of trade bait so PM me.
Modus 105
Odyssey O Works #2

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
CPM gives a measure of how fast you need to swing in order to load and unload the shaft. Actual stiffness

Torque is how much you feel the loading and unloading. Perceived stiffness. Lower torque equals a higher perceived stiffness.

My sense based on your distances is your flexes are too stiff. Also, I'm guessing that you don't like feeling the loading of the shaft, it makes a shaft feel too loose to you. But instead of seeking lower torque in an optimal flex you opt for higher flex and ignore the torque.

On the weight front, you like the feel of a heavier club weight. Again moving up weight classes increases CPM in comparably labeled flexes. Instead of finding alternate means for achieving a static weight you play same flex heavier shaft.

Much of this is speculation so obviously take with healthy BS meter settings...

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:31 PM »
CPM gives a measure of how fast you need to swing in order to load and unload the shaft. Actual stiffness

Torque is how much you feel the loading and unloading. Perceived stiffness. Lower torque equals a higher perceived stiffness.

My sense based on your distances is your flexes are too stiff. Also, I'm guessing that you don't like feeling the loading of the shaft, it makes a shaft feel too loose to you. But instead of seeking lower torque in an optimal flex you opt for higher flex and ignore the torque.

On the weight front, you like the feel of a heavier club weight. Again moving up weight classes increases CPM in comparably labeled flexes. Instead of finding alternate means for achieving a static weight you play same flex heavier shaft.

Much of this is speculation so obviously take with healthy BS meter settings...

Excellent!
Drivers : JadeAdllerRX460-DesignTuningIDV-GTD455-Itobori-RyomaMaxima2
UTs : Itobori-Modart-Muziik-Proceed
Irons : GTD-GrindStudio-Itobori-PXG-CNCPT02
Wedges : Artisan-GrindStudio-Itobori-JadeAdller-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-BPutters-Lajosi-Machine-Mannkrafted-Masda-Nead-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon

Mpuk

• I'm hoing it up ;)
  • Super Ho
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
I play X stiff in graphite and stiff in steel but I was actually thinking of going X stiff irons too but this post has me thinking.

My stats are as follows so let me k ow your suggestions. I'm a big enough ho to try hem just for shits and giggles :)
Jbeam 425 10.5* & Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70 X at 260 CPM, D5, 2.5 torque and 45"
107 club head, 155 ball speed, 11.3* launch, 1631 spin, 274 carry and 305 total

Epon 302 6 iron & Shimada K's Tour Lite Stiff (108g) at 300 CPM, D3, 30* loft and 37.75"
86 club head, 125 ball speed, 18.4 launch, 4600 spin, 184 carry and 200 total.
Modus 105
Odyssey O Works #2

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »
I play X stiff in graphite and stiff in steel but I was actually thinking of going X stiff irons too but this post has me thinking.

My stats are as follows so let me k ow your suggestions. I'm a big enough ho to try hem just for shits and giggles :)
Jbeam 425 10.5* & Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 70 X at 260 CPM, D5, 2.5 torque and 45"
107 club head, 155 ball speed, 11.3* launch, 1631 spin, 274 carry and 305 total

Epon 302 6 iron & Shimada K's Tour Lite Stiff (108g) at 300 CPM, D3, 30* loft and 37.75"
86 club head, 125 ball speed, 18.4 launch, 4600 spin, 184 carry and 200 total.
A 107mph SS is S to SX.  I avg ~110mph and play predominantly SX shafts, with the exception of some GD shafts and the Quadra UT 85.  GD tend to play looser to flex and on the Quadra UT front by not tipping I am effectively playing them looser to flex.

Not sure of the specs on the Aldila driver shaft, or its cost but you might try the S flex build it long and heavy SW then choke down to test.  Repeat by tipping for 1/2 a flex and rebuild in the same fashion. A more experienced builder than I could probably do the math for the builds...  If you're enough of a ho, a better test is to buy 2 extra shafts and build properly for the relevant flex tests.

On the static weight side, you can use a heavier grip or add other weights into the butt end of the shaft and some complimentary lead around the hosel to keep SW where you like until you dial it in.

Again just one mans opinion, and it is a suspect one at that...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:27:52 PM by RhodyGolf »

Mpuk

• I'm hoing it up ;)
  • Super Ho
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 08:35:09 PM »
The only 2.5 torque shaft in stiff is the new 70 2015 Basileus AAA.

I've asked Golfhands and they will only sell this shaft built. Anyone have one for sale or know of a fair priced supplier ?
Modus 105
Odyssey O Works #2

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »
Everyone's load characteristics are different and one guy at 110 mph might need a more flexible shaft than another guy at 100 mph. Then you add in different flex profiles that behave differently. For instance I usually play an S in a stiff tip profile but can play an SX or even an X in a tip active profile.

I think it's important to find a profile that works best for a given swing and then experiment from there. Stiffness ratings and CPM etc can be completely arbitrary between different manufacturers and measurement techniques. Butt stiffness CPM is just one data point and not the end all be all of shaft stiffness. In a lot of ways the weight, material, and flex profile are more important than a stiffness rating stamped on the shaft.

And also, for me, the feel of the shaft during the swing often dictates how successful I will be when using it. Getting the right feel helps me mind my tempo and make a good swing which usually cures more ills than anything.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »
Mpuk just spring something that feels good and stop sandbagging...you're down to a 6 handicap in the hundreds hole hike...
12compact mid/Lunar5+
16.5baffy/Lunar6
20hyute/lunar7
5-P-RoddioPC/lunar8
Q,R,S,T Roddio-wedge/Lunar9
EXO odyssey
AVX