Author Topic: My 220 sqft backyard putting green install  (Read 4620 times)

1dirtypanda

• Junior Ho
My 220 sqft backyard putting green install
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »
I think this might be a good section to post this in...

This is a copy/paste from my post on golfwrx.com (yaya don't shoot me cuz i didn't post it here first). I didn't want to only just put a link in the post. The link to that post is http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1096951-my-220-sqft-backyard-putting-green-install/

(To skip to just the pics go to the end of the post where I have the link)  Also, apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

So after a a few years of staring at an ugly dirt/stone patch in my backyard, doing as much research I could on artificial turf and installs I sucked it up and chose a contractor in my area to get my putting green installed. We moved into this house a few years ago and the backyard was unfinished. The backyard had two areas that needed to be done. We put real grass in on the larger area and put landscaping in and there was a 22x10' area in which I had reserved for my putting green and earmarked some $ for this project.

I originally had about 3-4 quotes, including Heavenly Greens and SynLawn (two of the biggest names in this business), and most of them gave me samples that I could keep.  All of them except for SynLawn were sand infill. I guess SynLawn's primary putting product doesn't require sand (http://www.synlawngo...putting-greens/). Just feeling the samples was difficult because they were only about 2x2' cuts and it's really hard to tell what it'd be like without the sand!

I asked Heavenly Greens if I could go see one of their local installs and test it out. Most of them were private homes so I didn't want to bother anyone but they did send me to an apartment complex and I went there and tested it out. When I got there I rolled some putts. It was pretty firm, but the thing that weirded me out was that when I hit putts the ball rolling on the green sounded and felt crusty from the sand. It didn't seem right to me. I hadn't really tested any other artificial greens that had sand so I just didn't know what to expect. Another negative of Heavenly was their pricing was the highest of all the contractors. Yet another negative was the sales lady that came over - She was an older lady who seemed to just be a sales person and probably sold more of the artificial grass side of the business rather than artificial putting greens. I'm pretty sure she didn't know jack about golf and so this didn't inspire confidence. On top of all that the local yelp reviews weren't too appealing. Problem with yelp reviews alone is that most of these contractors do both putting greens and artificial grass lawns so it's hard to differentiate the reviews. Also most people post the review immediately after install, but don't come back to post a year or two after to see if it's held up.

SynLawn came out and gave me a qoute. That guy was cool and he seemed to know what he was talking about. The price was good too. The sample that he gave me felt nice. The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether I wanted sand infill or not. As I understood it with sand infill I could adjust the speed by adding sand if needed. Because of this I wasn't really sure of SynLawn. It didn't seem like there were any local installs I could go check out to roll a few putts on. :(

Another quote came from a contractor who did the putting greens at my company's athletics fields (The park has a soccer field, bball courts, putting green, bocce ball, and an outdoor workout area). I think they only did the putting green and bocce ball area, and maybe the workout area which is also artificial grass. I tried to go over to roll some putts but I didn't have a key or the key code to get in at the time and got lazy and never went back. Their pricing was good and since they did the work at my company's fields, this was a potential candidate.

Last quote came from a contractor that my buddy had used. He had put in a 400+ sqft green in his backyard with I think six holes. Their pricing was about in the middle but when I was talking to the guy who did the quote which I believe is the owner, he really knew golf. He had two different colors of greens. Different height of fringe, in case you wanted to do longer height fringe or double cut fringe (for larger spaces). He was telling me which was he could get the breaks and speed and where to best put the holes in. Because of this, it gave me a lot more confidence in these guys.

So after all that, life got in the way and this became a lower priority, I got lazy, yadda yadda yadda and never got around to getting it done. Fast forward two years later to this year,  I dropped a few strokes on my hc this year and had been playing really well (broke 80 for the first time this year, multiple times) and said I gotta get the green installed so I can practice more! Putting isn't the worst part of my game but still this would be nice to get done. Also, I have pretty much two set bags that I really don't forsee changing I can focus on practicing. The only thing I may add in the near future is another putter. :)

So started doing research again and emailing out to the contractors again. I ended up looking at yelp again. There was one company that seemed to have good reviews on putting greens and seemed to specialize in greens so I emailed them. He emailed me back and said I already gave you a quote! <scratches head> hmmm. I ask him to come back out and he does, and I remember he was the last quote I mentioned above. So everything seemed to line up with these guys - my buddy used them and his green had held up fine, yelp reviews were good, and they knew what they were talking about when it came down to golf. Done! Let's get this going.... It took a few months due to both our schedules but finally they came out to start the work this past week. They said it'd probably take a few days to get done so I had planned to stay home from work to make sure it got done the way I wanted.  It just got done a few days ago so the sand infill supposedly needs time to dry out and settle in before the rolling speed normalizes.  Unfortunately it's going to rain today...

Next thing I need to do is buy new flags for the pins. Also I haven't tried chipping from the fringe nor from 10-15yds out. I don't have much space in my backyard to go too far. I also need to figure out how to measure the stimp.........

I documented the process here in my g+ album, so enjoy the pics and videos. Don't critique my putting stroke! :P
- https://plus.google.com/photos/111889382705331602566/albums/6075834959524455761
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:37:52 PM by 1dirtypanda »

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
Re: My 220 sqft backyard putting green install
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
Holy shit that's amazing
TI Taylormade 16 M2 w/ TI Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood w/UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* w/Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 22* Driving Iron w/ Aero i95
13 ONOFF Forged 5-P w/ Modus 125
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

akapur

• Super Ho
  • Looking forward to 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
Awesome!! Just love it.
Taylormade M1 440 Atmos Stiff Blue shaft
2011 PRGR Egg with Rogue Black Stiff
Glorious 5W with Rogue Stiff
4PW PXG Dark with Modus 120S
Crazy Regensis 52/58 with Crazy Graphite
Bradley Putters Custom Putter

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:50:08 PM »
James you have to be happy with that. That is fantastic.  Excellent. Shame you can't putt. Lol. Only joking.
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", Superstroke.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", Superstroke.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - PW + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57* + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados, Garsen.

Duffer19

• Super Ho
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
Cannot load the link. Is it flash based?
GP 1 minute with Diamana DF
Katana Voltio III 13*
Ryoma 2U, 3U, 4U and 5U
Grindworks DP 6-AW with Fire Express Spirit I-65
Epon Tour Wedge 54 with MCI solid
Titleist Forged 58*
Yamada Burning Copper Shogun

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »

Try it through the golfwrx link.
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", Superstroke.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", Superstroke.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - PW + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57* + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados, Garsen.

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
That is cool James!  Congrats and thank for sharing.
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

Sgt Squirts

• Junior Ho
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
Not gonna lie. I'm fully erect.
Current Gamer Bag:

13 clubs that I hit farther than you and a putter than never misses

1dirtypanda

• Junior Ho
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »

link fixed.

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 02:49:12 AM »
That is unbelievable...I really want to do that.  Question, has it improved you short game?
11.2*155/Basileus Alpha 60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.3cleek/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
2balSPAM
Titliest AVX

tomcat

• Junior Ho
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 06:38:16 AM »
really nice !
If I may, what the cost of such thing?
AF153 - Fukikura Pro 53s
AF202 5w - stinger 70s
AF903 20* - Steelfiber i95cw
AF903 23* - Steelfiber i95cw
AF 503 5i-AW - Steelfiber i95cw
Toyoshima 52/58 on KBS Wedge Tour  120
Epon Zen

1dirtypanda

• Junior Ho
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »
Free - just completed on wed so no it hasn't helped yet.

Qoutes ranged between 3-6.3k for 220sqft. Note that I'm in  NorCal bay area so things may be more expensive here? I think it gets slightly cheaper per sqft the bigger you go.   If I didn't do the putting green I'd still have had to put in grass there.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:31:22 AM by 1dirtypanda »

tomcat

• Junior Ho
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »
Not that expensive!  :o
Do you need to resurface from time to time?
How long should it last? I guess it really depends on weather condition, hot summers/cold winters etc etc
AF153 - Fukikura Pro 53s
AF202 5w - stinger 70s
AF903 20* - Steelfiber i95cw
AF903 23* - Steelfiber i95cw
AF 503 5i-AW - Steelfiber i95cw
Toyoshima 52/58 on KBS Wedge Tour  120
Epon Zen

1dirtypanda

• Junior Ho
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »
No need to resurface it. The turf should last 10+ years. No real maintenance needed. Can add sand on top to make the green speed faster too.