Author Topic: Grandista?  (Read 15509 times)

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
Re: Grandista?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
The legendary first gen egg also used carbon composite.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing though for some they may not like the way using CC can alter sound and feel.

In the case of the Grandista, its not a complete composite crown but more of an insert in the crown.

Grandista is not a big brand and very much one of those smaller boutique brands targeted more at maniac/hardcore types.

The founder wanted to make a driver "that satisfied himself" - so he said, thus he made the Grandista.

It's borderline conforming right at 257CT and from the looks of the specs, the CG is rather deep though not so low.

It's certainly an interesting design at least visually.

I read somewhere that there are only a couple of manufacturers left who can do Carbon Composite crowned heads in Japan.   Perhaps it is the same Endo guys who did the Yonex Ezone line of woods? 

Comparing trajectory against my AF153 which is a higher launching head,  Grandista was a tad lower but still on the higher side which is consistent with the low CG design.   Grandista is a low spinning head as I was consistently getting low 2000's on the LM.

DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )

MBBG

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
Composite crown heads is actually a really good technology to shift weight elsewhere. Many of the earlier cally composite crowns were renowned for their great feel. Never hit any of them so can't speak personally just have seen that a lot over the years. The sound and feel has more to do with face material, CG location, and inherent dampening of the head itself than the material used to make the crown. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all and in fact would consider it a positive if done well.

If 7 dreamers made the crown I'd probably pay an extra $500 for it. 😁
TI Taylormade ‘16 M2 w/ TI Rogue 125 60TS
Ping G400 3 Wood w/UST Chrome
RomaRo Type R 18* w/Nunchuk .370
Srixon U45 22* Driving Iron w/ Aero i95
‘13 ONOFF Forged 5-P w/ Modus 125
Forged Vokey 52F/56K Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM 60*
Odyssey SaberTooth (cheater putter)

wmclarenf1

• Every Saint a Past...
  • Ultra Ho
  • .!..
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 08:44:05 PM »
What's wrong with Carbon Composite crowned heads?
Cally still uses carbon composite crowns ( I guess they call it "forged composite" these days )  with their 815 Big Bertha line.

Nothing.  It's just a personal preference or in this case, a dislike.  Just a feel and sound thing to me.
Drivers : Crazy435Angel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriXanadu-ProceedIXBurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG0317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-RoddioMeisterM-ModartCBC-PXG0311T
Wedges : GrindStudio-Orion-PXG
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-TPMills-Xenon
Ball : Chrome

freehb

• The world needs ditch diggers too...
  • Ultra Ho
  • The world needs ditch diggers too!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 09:13:48 PM »
LOL! I nominate squirts homage for greatest post I've ever read on any forum... is it wrong that I really, really want this club now?  ;D

Haha, no...I kinda want it as well...
11.2*155/Basileus Alpha 60x
15.6spoon/f7s
18.3cleek/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
213 53.5/60/muziikbangvoo90s
2balSPAM
Titliest AVX

gocchin

• ULTIMATE OTAKU
  • Fledgling Ho
    • Digital Konbini
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 12:42:04 AM »
Composite crown heads is actually a really good technology to shift weight elsewhere. Many of the earlier cally composite crowns were renowned for their great feel. Never hit any of them so can't speak personally just have seen that a lot over the years. The sound and feel has more to do with face material, CG location, and inherent dampening of the head itself than the material used to make the crown. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all and in fact would consider it a positive if done well.

If 7 dreamers made the crown I'd probably pay an extra $500 for it. 😁

That is the primary purpose of the carbon composite crown... to shift weight since the crown is so light. Also I would say the sound and feel have very much to do with the carbon composite crown as that is exactly what ends up dampening the impact feel and sound. The carbon crown has more flex to it thus absorbing much of any metallic impact sound and harsher feel making it more of a thud or thowck. Take any head and swap the Ti crown for a CC one and you will definitely get a different sound and feel. 

Making a CC crown requires many many layers of finely compacted carbon plys so definitely not all crowns are created equally, both material wise and manufacturing wise.

It's definitely personal for the feel and sound, I have no issues as the performance gains are there, at least for the heads I have used and tried. Plus its kinda cool. :)
Disclaimer - While I am not technically involved in the sale of JDM gear, I have clients who are JDM golf brands. I try to be as impartial as possible and will not recommend one brand over another for the sake of a brands promotion. I will recommend something only if I believe it is truly good.

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 03:09:24 AM »
I've gamed two carbon comp heads. Callaway ERC Fusion and my latest gamer, a PRGR Duo Compression. Sound is very muted and both felt/feel as good as any Epon for me. For these reasons I want to eventually try the PRGR Black which is also a carbon comp head.
Driver: jBEAM Glorious 10.5* + Motore VT 7.0x, 45.5", Superstroke.
HY: Fourteen UT716 1i/3i/5i + Thump h90x, 39"-42", Superstroke.
Irons: OnOff Forged 6i - PW + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Wedges: Epon Tour 51*/57* + Accra Tour Ti Mesh, Superstroke.
Putter: Rife Barbados, Garsen.

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
Looks like that photo was taken at 30,000 feet above the Pacific, top that Chris!

Let me take a stab at creating some hype that will have everyone frothing at the mouth to spend $1500 on this piece.

Grandista is a newer golf gear company in Japan that puts an emphasis on the highest quality materials, ultimate feel and control, classic looks, and user prestige.  The new Grandista driver is a technological marvel, utilizing two "Super Impact Tubes™" on the sole that can be loaded with small explosive "Boom Pods™" (sold separately in the Pro Shop) that detonate at impact to create extreme distance along with the pleasing sounds of small arms fire.  The patent pending cup face design is double cold press forged from Dat 69 for a soft, explosive feel, then precision brazed by a man with tiny hands for the ultimate in consistency.  As you may have noticed, it has the unique feature of having the entire spec sheet printed right on the bottom, so the anal retentive golfer will know his club right down to the last meaningless detail.  The crown of the club incorporates a classy ion plating and an easy-to-read user guide to help remind the improving golfer to swing the club correctly. 

Recently I was able to meet with the President and design team when they took me out for a few hundred dollars worth of exotic sushi and drinks in exchange for promoting their products through the Pro Shop.  Their chief designer, Hideki "Dick" Gozinya-san explained to me the revolutionary center of gravity design they put into this new club.  He explained it in Japanese (which I don't understand 100%) but I believe he said that the club head senses your swing speed and club path and automatically adjusts the CG to the optimum location for big carry and run using a sophisticated series of cats' eye marbles and a spring from a ball point pen. 

So how does this new beast play?  Recently I was able to spend some time with it in comparison to my current gamer--the last driver that I demo'd and declared the Best Driver Ever.  I have it shafted with my new favorite shaft, the $107,000 Sixteen Candles shaft in a SR flex playing at 46".  At address, the club head is both compact for workability for the better player while being large to instill confidence in the higher handicappers.  I didn't find the user guide printed on the crown to be distracting at all at address, unless I looked at the club. 

During my backswing I did hear some electronic calculation noises reminiscent of "KITT" from the 80's classic television show "Knight Rider."  But on the downswing I did not hear any annoying movement from the marble track, just the feel of incredible speed and then the explosive impact.  I liked the sound of detonation at impact whilst using the Boom Pods, but an elderly gent I was paired with for my round literally shat himself after my first drive, so keep that in mind when playing with new people.  I have now played two rounds and hit it at the range twice, so I can honestly say that I feel this is the newest Best Driver Ever, and fits a variety of handicaps from Pro down to beginner. 

Yes, it is mighty expensive, but hey, you're worth it.  Right?  These are now on sale in the Pro Shop with the stock Bangzoo Animals shaft, but of course we can build them with any high end shaft in Japan.
For the record, I have no resentment of tsg...not making any kind of a statement or comment about those who do
Jesus... Am I guilty for writing like that in the past?  Or that's not me right cause I do understand Japanese....  ;D :P

T, you have always been the voice of reason in an otherwise unreasonable world.  I've never felt anything but educated and helped by anything you've told me or posts of yours that I've read...

For the record, I have no resentment of tsg...not making any kind of a statement or comment about those who do...I see all sides and am equally capable of laughing at, with or around all of them...

The culture of this site was summed up by a newcomer..."general smart assery" ...that's the main reason I like it....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:05:12 PM by freehb »
15.6spoon/f7s
18.3cleek/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
2balSPAM
Titliest AVX

Duffer19

• Super Ho
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »
That's a smart (ass) comment, Free.
GP 1 minute with Diamana DF
Katana Voltio III 13*
Ryoma 2U, 3U, 4U and 5U
Grindworks DP 6-AW with Fire Express Spirit I-65
Epon Tour Wedge 54 with MCI solid
Titleist Forged 58*
Yamada Burning Copper Shogun

gocchin

• ULTIMATE OTAKU
  • Fledgling Ho
    • Digital Konbini
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 08:13:55 AM »
Looks like that photo was taken at 30,000 feet above the Pacific, top that Chris!

Let me take a stab at creating some hype that will have everyone frothing at the mouth to spend $1500 on this piece.

Grandista is a newer golf gear company in Japan that puts an emphasis on the highest quality materials, ultimate feel and control, classic looks, and user prestige.  The new Grandista driver is a technological marvel, utilizing two "Super Impact Tubes™" on the sole that can be loaded with small explosive "Boom Pods™" (sold separately in the Pro Shop) that detonate at impact to create extreme distance along with the pleasing sounds of small arms fire.  The patent pending cup face design is double cold press forged from Dat 69 for a soft, explosive feel, then precision brazed by a man with tiny hands for the ultimate in consistency.  As you may have noticed, it has the unique feature of having the entire spec sheet printed right on the bottom, so the anal retentive golfer will know his club right down to the last meaningless detail.  The crown of the club incorporates a classy ion plating and an easy-to-read user guide to help remind the improving golfer to swing the club correctly. 

Recently I was able to meet with the President and design team when they took me out for a few hundred dollars worth of exotic sushi and drinks in exchange for promoting their products through the Pro Shop.  Their chief designer, Hideki "Dick" Gozinya-san explained to me the revolutionary center of gravity design they put into this new club.  He explained it in Japanese (which I don't understand 100%) but I believe he said that the club head senses your swing speed and club path and automatically adjusts the CG to the optimum location for big carry and run using a sophisticated series of cats' eye marbles and a spring from a ball point pen. 

So how does this new beast play?  Recently I was able to spend some time with it in comparison to my current gamer--the last driver that I demo'd and declared the Best Driver Ever.  I have it shafted with my new favorite shaft, the $107,000 Sixteen Candles shaft in a SR flex playing at 46".  At address, the club head is both compact for workability for the better player while being large to instill confidence in the higher handicappers.  I didn't find the user guide printed on the crown to be distracting at all at address, unless I looked at the club. 

During my backswing I did hear some electronic calculation noises reminiscent of "KITT" from the 80's classic television show "Knight Rider."  But on the downswing I did not hear any annoying movement from the marble track, just the feel of incredible speed and then the explosive impact.  I liked the sound of detonation at impact whilst using the Boom Pods, but an elderly gent I was paired with for my round literally shat himself after my first drive, so keep that in mind when playing with new people.  I have now played two rounds and hit it at the range twice, so I can honestly say that I feel this is the newest Best Driver Ever, and fits a variety of handicaps from Pro down to beginner. 

Yes, it is mighty expensive, but hey, you're worth it.  Right?  These are now on sale in the Pro Shop with the stock Bangzoo Animals shaft, but of course we can build them with any high end shaft in Japan.
Jesus... Am I guilty for writing like that in the past?  Or that's not me right cause I do understand Japanese....  ;D :P

T, you have always been the voice of reason in an otherwise unreasonable world.  I've never felt anything but educated and helped by anything you've told me or posts of yours that I've read...

For the record, I have no resentment of tsg...not making any kind of a statement or comment about those who do...I see all sides and am equally capable of laughing at, with or around all of them...

The culture of this site was summed up by a newcomer..."general smart assery" ...that's the main reason I like it....

Thanks Harry, you are always a pleasure to talk to as well.  I appreciate the kind words.
Disclaimer - While I am not technically involved in the sale of JDM gear, I have clients who are JDM golf brands. I try to be as impartial as possible and will not recommend one brand over another for the sake of a brands promotion. I will recommend something only if I believe it is truly good.

gocchin

• ULTIMATE OTAKU
  • Fledgling Ho
    • Digital Konbini
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »

And I'll see you next week. :) No smart (ass) comments between us.  :P

Duffer19

• Super Ho
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 08:28:25 AM »
I hope not T, it's the week after,  the 25th Saturday. 
GP 1 minute with Diamana DF
Katana Voltio III 13*
Ryoma 2U, 3U, 4U and 5U
Grindworks DP 6-AW with Fire Express Spirit I-65
Epon Tour Wedge 54 with MCI solid
Titleist Forged 58*
Yamada Burning Copper Shogun

freehb

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 11:10:14 AM »

And I'll see you next week. :) No smart (ass) comments between us.  :P

Never buddy, T brings out the gentleman in me...the rest of u bring out my smart assery....
15.6spoon/f7s
18.3cleek/f7s
21hyute/lunar8
705 5-A/muziikbangvoo90s
2balSPAM
Titliest AVX

gocchin

• ULTIMATE OTAKU
  • Fledgling Ho
    • Digital Konbini
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2015, 02:52:37 AM »
I hope not T, it's the week after,  the 25th Saturday.

Technically the 25th is next week.  ;D

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2015, 03:58:40 AM »
ahhhhhhhhhhh yes the yonex  ryo  nextage carbon crown one .. that driver head is unreal shape but dull .love hate. loved the way it payed, but the sound killed it for me.
stil lgot  a head sitting there waiting to  re ignite it

need a particualr shaft
that cud be great on the longy links once more..!!
TM 1993 bubble burner 11.93* listed as 9*
green POS callway 3w
hammer time 5w
TMfastestbackever super long distance ultra speed irons 17* jacked. longest irons set  ever(again)
hippo remote wedge
billyburu flatty
maxfli balata, what else!

nobwas

• Platinum Ho
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »
Yonex should pay Ishikawa to come back.  They had something great going back then.
DR: Modart MA01D+R / Diamana W
FW: Modart MA01F / Diamana 'Ahina
UT: Modart MA01H / Crazy STP
IR:  Epon AF-505/SUS316 / Modus 125
WG: MG S-01 / Modus Wedge 125
PT:  Ping Vault 2.0 CRAZ-E H ( in trial mode )