Author Topic: Wilson FG-62 irons  (Read 7227 times)

JanKo

• Super Ho
Wilson FG-62 irons
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:32:24 AM »
I know some of you might think Iīm crazy, but Iīm not going to apologize for this. ;)

I sold my AF-Tours a while ago to a good friend, at least they are close and I can get them back if he doesnīt play them anymore. But as soon as I did, I realized that I wanted to try the blades route again. Doesnīt get anymore stupid than me, but hey...
As I didnīt want to spent too much, I was looking for something like Mizuno MP-33, MP-37 or similar. Then I came across some glowing reviews of the FG-62 and found a set in awesome condition for a reasonable price.

Looks
This is purely subjective, but I really like the looks of the, simple and not too much stamping, boxier toe, minimal offset and a pretty thin topline. Just what I was looking for, a clean and classic blade.
Iīll let the pictures do the further talking and you can decide yourself.

Feel
Absolutely pure and soft. There a just plain S300 in them right now but I couldnīt ask for any better feel. Really really soft, not quite Epon AF-Tour like (which doesnīt have to be a bad thing), better than Miuras and pretty even with Mizuno MP-33. Perfect to me as the Epons were more on the "too soft" side, if that exists and I never liked the Miura feel that much.

Performance
This was what surprised me the most. They look like a "smaller" blade, are more compact than the MP-33 and donīt offer much offset or perimeter weighting. But for what they are, they instantly made me feel comfortable, for a blade they offer more forgiveness than I thought. Sure you should hit them reasonably, but slight mishits arenīt total misses length and direction wise.
What they do for me is giving me an easier co control ballflight. Lower shots and left to right is much easier with these than with a cavity back... I just imagine the flight...  ;D

Overall Iīm really happy with these. They feel and perform better than I expected, looking great too. If these had a fancy "S-Yard" or "Buchi" stamp on it, they would get a lot of hype, Iīm sure.

Epon AF-153 - Diamana B
Yamaha Inpres X V 14° - Attas 3
Titleist 816h 19° + 23°- Rogue Black 85
Epon AF-302 5-PW
Callaway MD3 black 50° + 56° - Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM Grind black 60° - Modus 125 Wedge
Golds Factory custom (modified Tiger Woods tribute)

ian-500

• Ultra Ho
Re: Wilson FG-62 irons
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:17:32 AM »
I was thinking about buying a set of these last year. They do look good and your set looks in mint condition. My first set of clubs were Wilson Fatshafts  ;D

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:10:43 AM »
I've hit some of their newer wedges, face milling and all.  They felt very good and seemed to perform decently, not that I could tell spin or anything like that.  But flight and distance were good and controllable.

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »
The plight of Wilson is certainly a cautionary tale of the modern "perception is reality" mindset of consumers. 30+ years ago was like Taylormade of today. By all accounts their gear is top notch. Even their new driver I have seen lots of people on wrx saying it blows away offerings from TM, Callaway, etc.

I am a big fan of their tour balls, the FG Tour is an incredible performer regardless of price, making the "cosmetic blemish" balls perhaps the best deal in golf and the FG Tour X is even a notch better than the non X for my game but sadly isn't offered as a blem to my knowledge.

So I'm not sure what missteps they took along the way to be perceived in the same tier as Top Flite and other "value brand" clubs but there's no doubt the performance of their stuff is right up there with anyone. I almost feel as though the brand is experiencing a bit of a renaissance. Always plenty of people out there that want great equipment for a great price and Wilson seems to be filling that niche better than anyone else.

chiromikey

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »
i second morebeer's sentiments. i'd game wilson and cobra over any other oem in a heartbeat!

RhodyGolf

• Bags on rotation
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultra Ho
  • Covid, nothing but time hope the course is open...
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »
I think Wilson and Yonex are similar as it relates to golf equipment.  They both have huge sports portfolios not golf related.  When they sit down and focus on golf for a little while, they can do amazing things, but then the reality of it being a small % of their portfolio it doesn't make sense to keep investing huge $$$ into it...

spoon

• Always Ho'ing crew
  • Ultra Ho
  • Always hoing around.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 02:06:02 AM »
i cant get over the name though. sounds sooo generic for golf clubs.
Ping g400 FEX65S
Gfield 4w Fex 65s
Epon 901 19* Crazy CBI 80s
Epon 901 22* Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 6-pw Fex DGL90s
Epon 705 Aw Diamana OT 105s,  TW /54/58
G-filed Leap M

chiromikey

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 03:09:04 AM »

that name probably has more meaning than any other iron in golf!

JanKo

• Super Ho
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:05:55 AM »

that name probably has more meaning than any other iron in golf!

61 Major wins with Wilson irons so far... more than any other brand. ;)

The longer I have them, the more I like them. The shape is just great and so different from most blades out there. Love the "connection" from hosel to face, little offset, boxier overall look. Iīmt getting a single 7-iron to mess around and see if there is an even better matching shaft than the S300 for these.
Epon AF-153 - Diamana B
Yamaha Inpres X V 14° - Attas 3
Titleist 816h 19° + 23°- Rogue Black 85
Epon AF-302 5-PW
Callaway MD3 black 50° + 56° - Modus 125 Wedge
Callaway PM Grind black 60° - Modus 125 Wedge
Golds Factory custom (modified Tiger Woods tribute)

chiromikey

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
yeah, they jumped the gun a little with this last namesake...but you can't blame them with the way padraig was playing when they were getting designed.

DaleUK

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
Love the look of them. ...

Shacco

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
Had a couple of hits a while ago with their forged player's cavity irons fg tour (or so). Didn't do much for me. Very unforgiving, but then again they are player's irons. I guess I am just not good enough of a ball striker to enjoy such clubs. But their fg tour ball is great.
Driver: Callaway Epic Subzero
3FW: Kamui TP-XF
3 and 4 ute: Romaro I-brid Chapter2
5-PW: PRGR RS Forged
GW: 50* CGS Orion Spy Type S
SW: 56° Ping Glide 3.0
LW: 60° Ping Glide 3.0
Putter: Yes! Tracy 2

Miuramaniac

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 05:40:57 PM »
Really like the looks of them. Remind me of my Staff Tour blades circa 1977. I'm sure they'll play great. I really miss the old-school USDM presence like Wilson Staff, McGregor, Ram, etc.