Author Topic: SCOR wedges  (Read 3609 times)

Swiss

• Fledgling Ho
SCOR wedges
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
Just placed my order for a set of SCOR wedges and should receive by mid next wk or so. For those of you who are not familiar with SCOR, they are more of a boutique brand with a very unique wedge design that's all the rage on a number of golf forums . They were just honored in Golf Magazine as the top wedge of the year, which is shocking considering the golf rags generally award to top advertisers the likes of TM or Callaway.

I love the more blade look and feel of these wedges. They will also do custom and have just about every loft you can think of and in graphite or steel shaft. Supposedly more accurate and more forgiving than any of the mainstream wedges out there.

Had a nice long chat with Barry at SCORE who is very knowledgeable and helpful and offered up a 10% discount to anyone I refer. Worth a shot for me based on my incredibly crappy chipping! I will provide more feedback in the next few weeks, although a cpl wks vacation time with no clubs in tow, so may be a little while.

Check em out:

http://www.scorgolf.com/

Swiss

• Fledgling Ho
Re: SCOR wedges
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:35:03 AM »
Also neglected to mention that they are also offering a 30 day try and buy program for one of their wedges, so basically you can call them up, order a wedge, just pay for shipping, use and abuse the wedge for a month and then decide if you want to keep it or return for no charge other than shipping.

mbbg

• Administrator
  • Ultra Ho
    • JDM Clubhouse
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
Keep us posted Swiss these are getting rave reviews all over the net

Blackman

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »
I am using two Score wedges (53 and 57) in my backup set for more than a year now.
The v-sole thing is definitely worth a look. They play very easy out of sand as well as tight lies.
For me the spin is good but not outstanding. Might have to do with the shaft (I use the normal Nippon NS Pro like in my irons).
The chrome finish on the sole seems to be quite thin. On the wedge I use most out of bunkers the finish is almost gone (max 100 strokes out of the bunker)

Two things keep them out of my gamers bag:
- feel: my Miura wedges are way softer
- top line: for my eyes it is a little too wide

All in all: a very good wedge especially in terms of value for money. There is better JDM stuff out there, but this comes with a price. The sole grind is very versatile, so if you can not decide between low or high bounce (for whatever reason) this might be your wedge.

Hope this helps.
Andreas
Callaway EPIC SUB ZERO - 9 Degr.  - OBAN Kiyoshi Black
Callaway EPIC SUB ZERO 16 Degr. - OBAN Devotion HB
GIMAR NRBX - 3 to 4 - Aerotech Steelfiber
GIMAR NRB Pro - 5 to PW - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 52 Grad - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 56 Grad - KBS V-Tour
GIMAR - 60 Grad - KBS V-Tour
EVNRoll ER3

Swiss

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:18:42 PM »
Have now played a bunch of rounds with my SCOR wedges and the honeymoon continues. Just this weekend in a decent money game I holed out a bunker shot from one of the toughest bunkers on my home course with my 55* SCOR wedges. MONEY!!! And trust me when I tell you I can't recall the last time I holed out of a bunker.

Versatile as a mother and nice thin topline which for me looks and feels like she's all business. I have NEVER had a wedge that is so RIDICULOUSLY straight on full length shots...I don't need to flight a ball right to left or left to right on shots of 100 yards or less. Classic ball on a string. Sounds goofy, but anytime I now have a shot of 100 or less (and its not a chip which I still kinda suck at), I'm thinking birdie. My chipping still needs work but its def getting there.

Gents: throw away your BOLD wedges...these things are just stupid easy to play.

tsupo67

• Ultra Ho
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
im a fan as well.  ive had them, and plyed them enough f to get a good feel for them

they reside in OZ   for my  links tracks on hard kaikuya grass for the most...,.
i found they played better on those conditions than on moister, soft  grass courses, i think they  are pretty ordinary when u compare them to others on  sorfter surfaces.

cpl of points ive found with them......,
playing  them  on tight cropped ,or  hard fairway  courses, they perform  excellent  , i find  they  slide under the ball rather than  punch into it.  so delicate shots get better  results
i bent the the  52*  to 50 . bec  i found them going  very high  however  having a slightly chunkier top line, they didnt do as well as say the yururi 1.618 nor the yamaha black or yururi raw. but they did better  than a cpl of others.

spin is  ok wiithout  being  great  , esp agaisnt the 3 wedges i  mentioned above.( no probs there tho ) just not as dynamic. 
 the versatility  i get with them is fantasitc!
the 50 *  i  can hit form a bunker  30 yards if needed. and stop it. these are very vesatilite.
feel  i found is pretty dead. that one  negative., no crispnesss, not softness. just a dead feel. mine have the KBS  tour shafts , maybe thats a contributor but  i  was very meeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh  with them .one big reason i stopped playing them.

the 50*  sole shape was  poor to get nice crisp pings at the pole  VS my other wedges.  and it was very poor for close clips at the pin  form just off the green  IN COMPARISON. had  i found the ball slid too much left or right  on the face  where a closed face  chip with others ad much less................................. slidea-a-bility..(!)

where these  DID really   well   was as a set of  50 -56- 60  ,  for all round   anything  in  Austrailian conditions. i have no probs with them., id NEVER play them in asia where the grass is moist  and thick.   but on tougher  harder environs they  go plenty ok.

they are SO difffernt to the bolds   i dont htink  they cant be comapred.
i happily keep them back home with the  yururi raws for my  very  small green local  course.
and can  play them day in/out . not sure if i wud on dry greens tho dont think i can get enough spin.
but aprt from that . as  every dayers.......

yes indeed.!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:40:58 PM by tsupo67 »
astro tourv3 10*// quadra fire express prototype 2016
prgr egg spoon15*//roddio tour only  bee71x
fourteen tw u 21*//diamanana stinger 70x
masda mb 3/pw.....NS stx
prgr nabla id 52*. NS WV125s Yamaha raw black  56*....NS wv 125s
fourteen mt 28 60*....NS 950s
maruman cs mallet
tourstage x-01z

Swiss

• Fledgling Ho
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
Quick update on my SCOR wedges...still love em.

I've had problems over the years with chipping and pitching and the SCOR wedges quite literally fixed me overnight. Not sure if its the V sole or something else at play here, but they are ridiculously forgiving. I've had shots that had no business landing on the green and would have either chunked or skulled w my old fancy wedges, but with the SCORs I know I'm going to be relatively close about 80-90% of the time vs what used to be more like 40-50%...thats huge!! Not the spiniest of wedges, but I've also learned that too much spin while sexy as all get out, is also a bit unpredictable.

Friends who've played with me for 15-20 years were shocked and 2 of them have already placed orders for a full set. First set of wedges that Im psyched about hitting every time I have them in my hands.